• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

I think the middle grounds would be the perfect spot, close to downtown and close to everything yet the land cannot be used for anything else due to it being a former landfill. It is a huge piece of land right in the city just begging for something to make it useful.

I had a meeting with the park director of Bay City a while back. The middle grounds was the only place in his mind that an 18 hole course would fit. I agreed and drew together a badass layout. After a few days I got a call from him saying the city was not going to allow for it because of it being a former landfill. End of story unfortunately..

Scott: thanks for your work on this!
The way it's in a fenced in section, it seems feasible to make it pay to play, (just so it's somewhat financially self-sustaining), but I don't know that greens fees would even cover the cost of hiring people to collect greens fees. I'd just hate to see them open it, and have things go south for being a financial drain or people vandalizing it (which seems to diminish quite a bit when someone's present collecting fees).

Thanks for the follow up Scott. You guys have been doing great things, thanks a ton. Man, that course could be amazing. If help is needed on anything, feel free to shoot me PM. Keep us posted. :thmbup:

I had a meeting with the park director of Bay City a while back. The middle grounds was the only place in his mind that an 18 hole course would fit. I agreed and drew together a badass layout. After a few days I got a call from him saying the city was not going to allow for it because of it being a former landfill. End of story unfortunately..

That doesn't necessarily have to be the end of the story. The former landfill issue could be addressed, and should be. If safety for disc golf is a problem, then why isn't anyone questioning the safety for people taking their dogs there, playing soccer/football there, or flying RC planes and copters? The amount of money it would take to clean the soil would be outrageous, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. Additionally, we discussed the possibility of above-ground baskets as an option. No reason that couldn't be done.

They also scouted other spots and even agreed on a couple spots for <18 holes, but like I said before, the person proposing the course wanted 18 holes on the middle grounds and that was about it.

sure is a shame that there is no course in Bay City. All the work they do to bring people into the city, why do they stop short. Most other communities are adding disc golf courses at a record pace , not sure why Bay City has not caught on to that . Maybe someone should take there officials down to wicks park in Saginaw and see all the people of every age enjoying there park. There is almost a group on every tee box on a nice summer night. No reason B.C. can't have the same thing.

Bay City really isn't opposed to the idea at all. Disc golf is an occasional hobby of the Parks and Rec Director actually (how occasional, I don't know). The problem really is physical space/land, and then who owns that land. Examine the city in Google Maps, find a spot, find out who actually owns the land, and propose it. The city is more than willing to listen. The county executive would be optimistic. Any commissioner would be willing to support it also, I bet. Growth is good.

My personal opinion is that a good location for a disc golf course in Bay City might not exist, and we're very fortunate to have Memorial Park, Wickes Woods, Tittabawassee Trails, Chippewa Banks, and The Jungle within a 30-40min drive. Not to mention Deerfield Park, Holly Woods, Goldenrod, and Grayling Rotary are within 60-75min of Bay City.

That being said, the only other possible location I can think of that wasn't fully explored was the old Alkali property. At the request of the city, I personally collected over 15 letters of recommendation from communities around Michigan with disc golf courses and submitted them as part of the original middle grounds proposal. They could still be used. I'd be happy to pass them on...

time to do some google searches for new courses.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=322331501843&story_fbid=10152388562296844

Paradise Township February 27 at 11:20am · (kingsley, mi)
A course map for a new Disc Golf Course at Mayfield Pond Park has been submitted for consideration to the Township Board. There is currently a Disc Golf Course at Civic Center South. Also, there is a proposed non-motorized trail plan being pursued that would connect Civic Center South to Mayfield Pond Park.
What do you think? Is a Disc Golf Course at Mayfield Pond Park something that the Township Board should consider? Would this be a "good fit" for Mayfield Pond Park? Please comment below or send us a message. Thanks!

this one is still going?

Henrietta Township has a unique opportunity to promote your business by providing promotional discs for a Disc Golf Course at the Pleasant Lake County Park.

The Henrietta Township Recreation Team, in partnership with the Jackson County Parks and Recreation Department, is establishing a Disc Golf Course at the Pleasant Lake County Park. The addition of the Disc Golf activity will provide opportunity to enhance community use of the park, and improve health and quality of place for residents and visitors alike. Read more about this and how your business can contribute.

http://www.enterprisegroup.org/images/uploads/Pleasant_Lake_County_Park_Disc_Golf_Project_082013.pdf

I keep getting facebook notifications about a new course in Fife Lake, known for now as
"Carter's Course" it is supposed to be at the springfield township rec area. this is all I know for now

I keep getting facebook notifications about a new course in Fife Lake, known for now as
"Carter's Course" it is supposed to be at the springfield township rec area. this is all I know for now

did someone we know make it? :popcorn:

Latest posts