• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Any word on Ella Sharp in Jackson? Seems like it's been on the cusp of opening for over a year now. Seems like the last I heard it was looking like late summer but that was a while ago.

Thanks guys for all the updates! When I started this nearly 7 years ago I was a full time golfer and tried to make all the updates as accurate as possible. Even going to google and seaching local news articles by date posted. Been very busy in recent years. But hopefully can start making those lists again sometime soon. Or if someone else wants to take it over be more than welcome. Always thought it was cool to have the lists on there. Thanks again for all the help guys. This thread blew up

Probably doesn't hurt to submit a comment through the website, or leave a FB review..

Done. Here's what I said:

"I just wanted to say thank you for Kensington's renewed zeal for disc golf activities in the park. As a member of this community, I drove up from southwestern Ohio with a group of three for the express purpose of playing the Toboggan course. This is our fourth year doing so, and I greatly appreciate the larger window with which to play. Seasonal installation of this course would convince me, a non-resident of Michigan, let alone Oakland County, to purchase an annual pass every year. It would also vault Kensington into the top echelon of disc golf destinations in the country, which will drive significant out-of-state revenue and traffic to the park and the system as a whole. Thanks again, and I look forward to visiting Kensington again soon."

From the Gladstone DGC facebook page.

Course update!
We just finished measuring the distances for all the layouts. The holes have been dug and we need to put in the ground sleeves next.

We are going to need everyone's help in order to get this course playable. Most of the work is done but there is still a lot of picking up and grooming that needs to be done. Even if you only have a couple hours, let us know.

We have grass planted around most of the tee pads. Please avoid walking around them and let the grass grow. We used approximately 250 lbs of grass, Rye and oat seed around them. We have moved close to 1000 yards of material just leveling and backfilling the tee areas. The tee pads were a huge project and we need to let everything grow. The sooner we have established grass around the tee pads, the sooner we can open the course.

Here are the measurements-

Long Tee to Long basket
27 holes- 11,522 ft.
18 holes- 7,691 ft.
Average hole length- 427 ft.

Short Tee to Long Basket
27 holes- 9,707 ft.
18 holes- 6,431 ft.
Average hole length- 360 ft

Long Tee to Short Basket
27 holes- 9279 ft.
18 holes- 6307 ft.
Average hole length- 344 ft.

Short Tee to Short Basket
27 holes- 7408 ft.
18 holes- 5018 ft.
Average hole length- 274 ft.

Not quite a new course update but it is an official map release of what the locals call Leviathan XL. It's Leviathan Longs with completely different alternate A-F holes. Longer and harder than Levi Pro. Also added new maps for normal Leviathan (All tees), Beauty, Beast, and Goliath.

We are looking at new property on Wednesday for another new course between Baldwin and Ludington.

We're staying in Mercer, WI for our trip to Highbridge over the 4th of July. Is it worth driving in the opposite direction one day to play The Tailings? It seems like course conditions are the most consistent criticism, but there's been a lot of positivity in the thread lately regarding maintenance there.

Not a new one, but man is Toboggan in great shape and a pure joy to play. If you haven't played this course yet do yourself a favor and play it asap. Course is in great shape, pads are nice and grippy and those new red Chainstar Pro baskets are great.
I played last week for the first time and me and my buddy were pretty blown away. It didn't hurt we picked a beautiful, sunny weekday to play, with not much traffic on the course. The course difficulty is way above my skill level, but I had a blast. I managed par on a couple of the 4s and 5s and felt great about it. The elevation makes for a great workout, too. I think my iPhone step counter had me at something like 35 flights of stairs worth of hill-climbing when we finished 18 holes.

Played Custer Greens last Saturday night. It's pretty good and enjoyable for a ball golf Disc course, but for heaven's sake, bring bug spray! The lady in the pro shop offered some and I politely declined, seeing the sunny June evening out there and wide open conditions. Boy was I wrong. Mosquitoes don't generally blitzkrieg you out in the open during the day like that, but man, there were a few instances especially past the first few holes where I had like 20 of them around my face and I could kill more than one at a time on my leg by smacking it with the Disc in my hand. Plus, later in the course, you do find yourself in some trees and I think I was a buffet for the ******* insects.

Don't know if that's the norm there, maybe it was the fresh rain we got in the morning plus the foot of rain we've gotten in the last six weeks, but I've gotta tell you it's the worst mosquito round I've played since probably 1998 at Johnson Park in G.R.

We're staying in Mercer, WI for our trip to Highbridge over the 4th of July. Is it worth driving in the opposite direction one day to play The Tailings? It seems like course conditions are the most consistent criticism, but there's been a lot of positivity in the thread lately regarding maintenance there.
The Tailings is in the best shape it's been for a long time. A ton of work was done this spring and it's prime right now.

I thought you were exaggerating about the mosquitos at Custer Greens but yesterday we went to camp at Fort Custer and didn't even finish setting up and left cause of the skeeters. I still wanted to play a round at Custer so I stopped on the way back and enjoyed the course. I liked it, a ball golf disc golf course done right. No exaggerating, mosquitos were terrible at both places and I won't be back for some time. $#&% Mosquitos!

Last edited:
Kensington: Update

Single, concrete tees and tee markers are in place, as are collars for the baskets... but no baskets as of today. The new holes are numbered 6-14, and form a 9 hole loop between current hole #'s 23 & 24... so it's just a matter of time before they renumber the old holes.

The new course is supposed to be ready for 2018 Great Lakes Open presented by DISCRAFT, with Pros playing Toboggan as part of the DGPT.

FYI - Holden's is blowing out DGA discs for $8 a piece in SP and Proline plastic (equivalent to Z and ESP).
I saw plenty of: Hurricane, Undertow, Sail, Hellfire, Torrent, Rogue, Breaker, Reef.
There were only few Aftershocks, and one Pipeline.
Zero: Banzai, Quake, Steady

Much of the SP was in metalflake.

Picked up a 1st Flight Sail... liked it, went back and bought two more. :)

Last edited:
Single, concrete tees and tee markers are in place, as are collars for the baskets... but no baskets as of today. The new holes are numbered 6-14, and form a 9 hole loop between current hole #'s 23 & 24... so it's just a matter of time before they renumber the old holes.

The new course is supposed to be ready for 2018 Great Lakes Open presented by DISCRAFT, with Pros playing Toboggan as part of the DGPT.

FYI - Holden's is blowing out DGA discs for $8 a piece in SP and Proline plastic (equivalent to Z and ESP).
I saw plenty of: Hurricane, Undertow, Sail, Hellfire, Torrent, Rogue, Breaker, Reef.
There were only few Aftershocks, and one Pipeline.
Zero: Banzai, Quake, Steady

Much of the SP was in metalflake.

Picked up a 1st Flight Sail... liked it, went back and bought two more. :)

Only one Pipeline left? Aw, man!!