• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Thanks for posting that link...some pretty significant layout changes being rolled out this year. Basically, two new holes, with two being eliminated.

I also had a chance to get out and play the East Red Hawk course at Independence Lakes this weekend. Some new pads, some new pins, some new holes and some new paths between. Upgraded tee signs and directional aids. This was already a fine 36 hole complex. The new construction will take some time to grow in yet, but the changes to the half I played, bring it closer to a tournament destination. Great work out here by the Washtenaw County Park system.

I also had a chance to get out and play the East Red Hawk course at Independence Lakes this weekend. Some new pads, some new pins, some new holes and some new paths between. Upgraded tee signs and directional aids. This was already a fine 36 hole complex. The new construction will take some time to grow in yet, but the changes to the half I played, bring it closer to a tournament destination. Great work out here by the Washtenaw County Park system.

Can't wait to play it myself. (As soon as this border opens up again)

Also great news on Toboggan. I don't think they could keep DGLO on the elite series without concrete pads. Also removing 2 of the weak holes was a good call. Combining 14 and 15 into one hole sounds pretty epic. I wonder how that landing zone is going to look?

14 needed to go, but I'm having trouble understanding why and how to combine it with 15.

I mean, I kind of get the why (easier than combining it with 13), just not seeing the how.

Same thought I had. I'm struggling to imagine it.

14 needed to go, but I'm having trouble understanding why and how to combine it with 15.

I mean, I kind of get the why (easier than combining it with 13), just not seeing the how.

So, 14's basket would be gone and you could not allow a shot through the old green area to the basket of 15. Ultimately, 1's basket and potentially 2's teepad could come into play. So I think they will have to send them further, to the tee of 15, as a dogleg left. They are going to have to open something up over that way. I am guessing to the right of 15's tee and the right side of that fairway. Just musing. Should be epic for sure. Better for DGPT player, maybe not so much for the casual local player.

So, 14's basket would be gone and you could not allow a shot through the old green area to the basket of 15. Ultimately, 1's basket and potentially 2's teepad could come into play. So I think they will have to send them further, to the tee of 15, as a dogleg left. They are going to have to open something up over that way. I am guessing to the right of 15's tee and the right side of that fairway. Just musing. Should be epic for sure. Better for DGPT player, maybe not so much for the casual local player.
My musing... Is they clear out space to the left 15s pad, from the perspective of 14's tee. The immediate gap on old 15.

My musing... Is they clear out space to the left 15s pad, from the perspective of 14's tee. The immediate gap on old 15.

I think this is a real possibility. My concern is really for the hyzer risk to 1's basket. Although, in past years they have moved the pin for 1 out further. This might solve that concern. I really would have to get out there and look, lol......*musing becomes pure speculation*

I think this is a real possibility. My concern is really for the hyzer risk to 1's basket. Although, in past years they have moved the pin for 1 out further. This might solve that concern. I really would have to get out there and look, lol......*musing becomes pure speculation*
1's basket would require going over/through a lot of wooded area... I'd be more concerned for 2's tee space.

Rumor has it that Indy is getting a putting style course like this one too! They do have a bunch of good condition Mach 3s laying around with no holes to use them on, apparently that's the plan.

Depending on how well the area east of the DG parking area drains... that section might be good for that. I say that mostly because they could use that berm for both a tee (to create a downhill putt), as well as a basket (for an uphill putt).

... provided the growth back there gets thick enough to create some interesting, labyrinthian type holes. I've never had a reason to walk back there and check it out myself.

Depending on how well the area east of the DG parking area drains... that section might be good for that. I say that mostly because they could use that berm for both a tee (to create a downhill putt), as well as a basket (for an uphill putt).

... provided the growth back there gets thick enough to create some interesting, labyrinthian type holes. I've never had a reason to walk back there and check it out myself.

There is not a ton of land between the parking lot and a lake/pond. I might have been back there to "water a plant" or two. I think there is a walking path or access road back there as well.

No harm in another putting course, but I could take or leave it. I enjoy the occasional round or two on Labyrinth, but........meh. I'd rather see a picnic shelter, better bathroom or water.

There is not a ton of land between the parking lot and a lake/pond. I might have been back there to "water a plant" or two. I think there is a walking path or access road back there as well.

No harm in another putting course, but I could take or leave it. I enjoy the occasional round or two on Labyrinth, but........meh. I'd rather see a picnic shelter, better bathroom or water.

Just the fact that there a place and of some sort in that general area makes it less than desirable location.

A decent bathroom and/or shelter would also be nice. Port-a-johns beat nothing, but there's nothing like running water and being able to wash up when you want to. Plus a pavilion would be great for events.

Just the fact that there a place and of some sort in that general area makes it less than desirable location.

A decent bathroom and/or shelter would also be nice. Port-a-johns beat nothing, but there's nothing like running water and being able to wash up when you want to. Plus a pavilion would be great for events.

Pavilion is a lock. Bathrooms very possible. Kicked around idea of possible pitch n putt 4-6 hole course for kids/day camp. If/when new baskets get purchased some of the old ones could be used for that. Double as extra warm up space for tournaments. More thinking out loud than set in stone. ;)

Bald on Saturday!
I can't believe how great that place is with only 13 / 36 fairways done. It is gonna be incredible.

Agreed. Hard to believe that course is as good as it is, with just 13 holes. Five more holes as good as the 13 they have = 4.0.

Not holding my breath waiting for all 36, though.

Agreed. Hard to believe that course is as good as it is, with just 13 holes. Five more holes as good as the 13 they have = 4.0.

Not holding my breath waiting for all 36, though.
I'm okay with the wait. Those wide wooded fairways on the par 4s are great. Hole 2 is a blast to play for sure. (I've been there once and the rest are a blur of shots)

Played Hawthorne Park, in Pontiac yesterday, and just listed it on DGCR.

12 holes in total.
A couple of holes have dual tees (#'s 1 and 9), and #7 has two baskets. There are 12 tee posts clearly numbered 1-12.

Any way you slice it, it's 12 holes, regardless how it's listed, and numbered on UDisc.

------

I also noticed Independence Green (in Farmington Hills) was listed on DGCR a few weeks ago, but it isn't playable? I heard talk about a possible course there years ago but it never seemed to get beyond that.

Superberry listed it, and seems to be involved in the design, so I PM'd him asking about it. I don't see the point on listing a course, only to say it's not playable yet.

If you don't want/aren't ready for people to play it, listing it's basically asking for trouble. :\

Regardless, next time I'm near Grand River & Halstead, I'll swing by to see what the deal is.

Latest posts