• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

It appears Bald Mountain is on its way to completion of a full 18 hole layout very soon!

Gates open at Bald Mountain Rec Area on April 15. And John Minicuci indicates that all but 2 pads have been poured and basket locations are set, while work is continuing on the fairways.

I'm amped!! I LOVE the layout as is and can't wait to see it reach a full 18.

I live in Dearborn and the local, city owned golf course has been closed for a year and a half. Flooding has decimated most of the course due to HUGE log jams on the Rouge River, running through the course. The course is essentially divided into halves by Telegraph road. This course has been around for decades. Well, a group of us has recently been making a pretty big push to get a course put in on the half that has seen the most damage and flooding. A terrific opportunity. Room for a fantastic course, with ponds and a river to work with. A clubhouse with food, liquor, showers a patio.... We spent quite a bit of time pitching the business, recreation and community benefits of such a venture. After a secret neighborhood meeting with the mayor, NIMBY's seem to have really busted up our efforts. Even more frustrating is that I am literally IN the neighborhood. The mayor ultimately telling us....guys, the city of Dearborn has NO interest in disc golf. Very sad, an incredible opportunity gone by the way side. But, as I said in a the Kentucky basket thread, you win some, you lose some. The city decided to put in the effort and open half of the golf course...the half opposite of our proposed disc golf course. Here is the announcement video.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1469055933501333

The short little squirrel is our mayor. What a DICK!!

Please feel free to share and trash this dooooosh.

https://www.facebook.com/Dearborngov/

The only solution is the same solution you mentioned above. You punish them by letting it go. They miss out on all the free labor, increased traffic and all the benefits of having a course in a nearby park that the local businesses thrive on as well as the community. You cannot fight with these people, you must go where you're wanted. I know you know all of this but it's worth reiterating. You don't wanna go where you're not wanted. One little misstep and they'll pull the course, they obviously aren't on board.

Their loss, let them have it.

Hadn't seen a mention of this but they've finally decided to turn Grizzly Oaks back into a real course again. Played it Sunday and it's a solid layout, definitely worthy of making it into the rotation if you're up that way. They still need to finish tee pads and signage, but the boxes are all framed in so we just threw from next to them.

I'm excited about this one, OU was our home course back in the day before the athletics complex took over so much of it's space. The big question for me will be whether they maintain it (big issue in the past), but the new design has gotten away from the open holes that were in the old back 9 that required so much mowing. So hopefully...

339824727_747100520413636_7314197930123692969_n.jpg

Hadn't seen a mention of this but they've finally decided to turn Grizzly Oaks back into a real course again. Played it Sunday and it's a solid layout, definitely worthy of making it into the rotation if you're up that way. They still need to finish tee pads and signage, but the boxes are all framed in so we just threw from next to them.

I'm excited about this one, OU was our home course back in the day before the athletics complex took over so much of it's space. The big question for me will be whether they maintain it (big issue in the past), but the new design has gotten away from the open holes that were in the old back 9 that required so much mowing. So hopefully...

339824727_747100520413636_7314197930123692969_n.jpg

Nice....I get up that way quite a bit. I stopped going to the OG, because of maintenance and the new course was a waste. Good news.

Some of the earlier ones...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moW5owLqkAs

Plus, we up here have heard that Marquette Mountain has commissioned a local artist to make another 9, for a full 18 hole basket art course!

Any rumblings about when the course might be installed/playable? I asked the artist of these nine on Facebook and he said he did not know.

Just wondering if I will be able to play it on this year's trip UP there, or if I have to wait till the 2024 edition. :D

Any rumblings about when the course might be installed/playable? I asked the artist of these nine on Facebook and he said he did not know.

Just wondering if I will be able to play it on this year's trip UP there, or if I have to wait till the 2024 edition. :D

also interested

News on the new course across the river from Powder Mill....
We were approved for a Michigan Economic Development Corporation matching grant of $36k!!! We are in the middle of our fundraising campaign now, and have to raise $36k by May 30 to get the match. So, please pass this along to anyone you know who may be interested in donating or becoming a sponsor on the course. Anything you can give right now is worth double when we reach our goal and get the matching MEDC grant!!!

The crowdfunding page is...

www.patronicity.com/buck

Under $600 to go to reach their goal. This will have a huge impact on U.P. disc golf.:thmbup::clap:<3

Actually, our group proper is not involved in this course, and the ski hill owners and managers are not very overly communicative about anything, so we have not heard anything.

I live in Dearborn and the local, city owned golf course has been closed for a year and a half. Flooding has decimated most of the course due to HUGE log jams on the Rouge River, running through the course. The course is essentially divided into halves by Telegraph road. This course has been around for decades. Well, a group of us has recently been making a pretty big push to get a course put in on the half that has seen the most damage and flooding. A terrific opportunity. Room for a fantastic course, with ponds and a river to work with. A clubhouse with food, liquor, showers a patio.... We spent quite a bit of time pitching the business, recreation and community benefits of such a venture. After a secret neighborhood meeting with the mayor, NIMBY's seem to have really busted up our efforts. Even more frustrating is that I am literally IN the neighborhood. The mayor ultimately telling us....guys, the city of Dearborn has NO interest in disc golf. Very sad, an incredible opportunity gone by the way side. But, as I said in a the Kentucky basket thread, you win some, you lose some. The city decided to put in the effort and open half of the golf course...the half opposite of our proposed disc golf course. Here is the announcement video.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1469055933501333

The short little squirrel is our mayor. What a DICK!!

Please feel free to share and trash this dooooosh.

https://www.facebook.com/Dearborngov/

OMG, I finally watched this...what garbage and is this for real, one of those dudes is the mayor???!!! So, they make a parody for a crappy golf course, and their main advertisement is basically that "no more low life disc golfers will be out here, so you can enjoy your overpriced round on a lackluster and poorly maintained BOLF course"?!

OMG, I finally watched this...what garbage and is this for real, one of those dudes is the mayor???!!! So, they make a parody for a crappy golf course, and their main advertisement is basically that "no more low life disc golfers will be out here, so you can enjoy your overpriced round on a lackluster and poorly maintained BOLF course"?!

Sums it up pretty well.

Yes. Interestingly, the very neighbors that NIMBY'ed the disc golf course, are now up in arms. Seems with little to no traffic, on the still closed half of the ball golf course, coyotes have become more populous and active. One took off with a little rat dog and now they don't seem to be such fans of their precious view and recreationless "backyards". My wife had an encounter with one, while walking our dog early one morning recently.

Yes. Interestingly, the very neighbors that NIMBY'ed the disc golf course, are now up in arms. Seems with little to no traffic, on the still closed half of the ball golf course, coyotes have become more populous and active. One took off with a little rat dog and now they don't seem to be such fans of their precious view and recreationless "backyards". My wife had an encounter with one, while walking our dog early one morning recently.
Hope you, the Mrs, and the pooch don't have more coyote encounters. I imagine your pooch is fairly decent sized at this point?

Kiwanis Outdoor Center in Battle Creek has the front 9 cut in. Back 9 work will commence shortly. If we keep pace, course should be up and running by July. We will be hosting a preview event May 27th with temp baskets for the first 9 long and putter layouts.

Can't really complain with how things are going, other than the hours! Fundraising is going well and we are getting adequate volunteer support, though I could always wish for more of each!!

Would feel better if the dang baskets would actually arrive though. Apparently they are still on a boat months late.

Heard yesterday that they have started a redesign on Holly Woods. No details, but I imagine someone thinks we need another longer, gold level course. Sorensen Park in Holly is purported to be coming along well, with pads currently being worked on. This is the new longer, gold level course being completed down the road from Holly Rec.

Heard yesterday that they have started a redesign on Holly Woods. No details, but I imagine someone thinks we need another longer, gold level course. Sorensen Park in Holly is purported to be coming along well, with pads currently being worked on. This is the new longer, gold level course being completed down the road from Holly Rec.

There was something on this in one of the FB groups recently, meant to come over here and post but forgot. This is the summary they posted:

Hole 1, pushed back and right, par 4
Hole 2 basket moved left
Hole 5 basket moved back
Hole 7 tee moved right
Hole 10 basket moved right
Hole 11 tee moved right
Hole c long pad moved left
Hole c short pad concrete
Hole D short pad concrete
Hole e short pad concrete
Hole f short pad concrete
Hole 12 tee pad refinished (cracking)
Hole 14 basket moved deep right
Hole 16 trees removed
Hole 17 tee moved up hill, basket moved deep left

So it doesn't sound too drastic but we will see. I'd hate to see Holly go the same route as Addison because someone thought we need more gold courses in the area.

There was something on this in one of the FB groups recently, meant to come over here and post but forgot. This is the summary they posted:

Hole 1, pushed back and right, par 4
Hole 2 basket moved left
Hole 5 basket moved back
Hole 7 tee moved right
Hole 10 basket moved right
Hole 11 tee moved right
Hole c long pad moved left
Hole c short pad concrete
Hole D short pad concrete
Hole e short pad concrete
Hole f short pad concrete
Hole 12 tee pad refinished (cracking)
Hole 14 basket moved deep right
Hole 16 trees removed
Hole 17 tee moved up hill, basket moved deep left

So it doesn't sound too drastic but we will see. I'd hate to see Holly go the same route as Addison because someone thought we need more gold courses in the area.

Thanks! Don't do facebook. Some of this is terrific, the short pads on the letter holes needed concrete. I agree about not going the route of Addison. I am sure I have ranted on this before, but we don't need exclusively championship level tracks. The disc golf community at large needs to be considered. Intermediate courses, wooded technical runs and family friendly setups are just as important. I am heading out there on Monday. I will try to update this thread.

Thanks! Don't do facebook. Some of this is terrific, the short pads on the letter holes needed concrete. I agree about not going the route of Addison. I am sure I have ranted on this before, but we don't need exclusively championship level tracks. The disc golf community at large needs to be considered. Intermediate courses, wooded technical runs and family friendly setups are just as important. I am heading out there on Monday. I will try to update this thread.

I'm with you 100% on this. Addy was my favorite course before the redesign and I hardly play it anymore. Holly is the course I play more than any other so I'd hate to lose it too...