• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

mid range discs

Buzz is an excellent mid, but i'd classify it is understable

-1 HSS, 1 LSS, and thats before getting beat a little. it's a disc easy to turn over

Classic Roc is a disc i absolutley love. very slow and easy to control.

Wolf is a great understable midrange. great to use in the woods, hyzer flip it straight, or throw it out flat and will turn on it's own.

FLX drone is a great overstable mid. great for windier days as it won't be turned over. also a great skip disc. excellent for shorter holes that need a midrange and a disc that has a great controllable skip.

STINGRAY FTW!! low 170's, i use it for gentle anhyzers (released flat), but u can use it for hyzers as well. i mainly use this disc when i need to keep my disc low under a tree etc, b/c it has a ton of glide.

Champion Panther. it is the most popular mid range besides the roc and buzzzz. it is usually found in champion, but rarly dx.

If you have these four, you are all set. I'll go in order of importance.

Buzzz - Most people can make it do whatever they want. Throw it on a line and thats where its going to go.

Wasp - Go to overstable midrange. I will throw it on any open shot from 250 to 200 in.

Meteor - Understable. I mostly use my Meteor for tight wooded anny shots that I need to sigourney weaver through the trees. If you throw this with a little hyzer angle...It's the farthest flying midrange imo. Alot of glide and is my goto midrange for straight shots and the tight annys.

Drone - Got a hole under 250 with the only option is a spike hyzer? This is the one for you. Awesome for getting out of trouble and very predictable. Your not going to turn it over and alot of people like that.

I carry all of these except a drone because I like to use my Wasp for those overstable shots. I have used alot of midranges before but Discraft makes the best :clap:

I am coming to this thought.

For a mid thats like a shorter Leopard, I am thinking the Panther.

For a mid thats like a longer Banger, I am thinking of getting a Z Buzzz closer to the weight of my Banger and in the Z instead of X

They dont seem like perfect matches but they seem close.

Gator. You throw it exactly as hard as it would take you to throw a baseball at the pin. It goes there, it digs in, and it stays put.

I agree, I'd also say the Skeeter can be used kind of like this as well, but just tons of spin.

I also like a wasp if you need something a bit more overstable, I haven't tossed a meteor much but I want one...I just got an ESP Impact in the mail so I may not need a meteor...sure I can turn the impact over at the right distance.

Drone is crazy overstable but I don't need one with my arm (we're similar Technohic)

The Mako is insane because it just doesn't move. Straight down the line. I love it.

I like the shark, I really do, I think it has more personality in better plastics though. I read a great quote on DGC or GGGT when looking at their listing they called it "The Thinking Man's Roc" I like that description.

Comets are pretty fantastic, a Typhoon feels a lot like a comet to me...and I think the Tsunami is the Typhoon mold but by DGA...

I use all of them in higher weights.

\/\/

A disc that I have come to love is the Stratus. On the Discraft site they have them listed under their 1st tier drivers, but to me it feels and flies like a midrange and considering I can get my Buzzz further than it I definitely use it as a midrange. It's good for shots of around 200'-250' that either need to turn-over or hold a low-speed anhyzer line. It's an extremely convenient disc to have that will hold an anny line without having to throw it hard.

My favorite mid besides buzz and roc is a z comet goes far straight and has very little fade. Holds whatever line you put it on.

Z Comet is picking up steam.

I dont know why this is so tough. With drivers, I just said "Hey wow, I need to try that!" and just kept buying them, but for mids, its like I am hesitant and being too careful.

A disc that I have come to love is the Stratus. On the Discraft site they have them listed under their 1st tier drivers, but to me it feels and flies like a midrange and considering I can get my Buzzz further than it I definitely use it as a midrange. It's good for shots of around 200'-250' that either need to turn-over or hold a low-speed anhyzer line. It's an extremely convenient disc to have that will hold an anny line without having to throw it hard.

A stratus right out the box is a useful disc. When that thing gets worn in though...wow. My friends and I were playing this summer and we got up to a short hole (200 maybe) and it has a couple ways to play it. My friend grabbed his beat up stratus and tried shape it in there with an anhyzer. It hit about 5 feet from the basket and rolled almost 400 feet away. Obviously a freak roll but I still think they are unpredictable as hell when beat up.

I'll just add that the reason I bought the Stratus was for Hole 14 at Pease, which is a 230' downhill right turning shot. I went into Disc Nation and told them that I want a disc for this hole and they pointed me to the Stratus. I've now birdied that hole 3 out of the 4 times I've played it since buying the Stratus just by giving the disc a little backhand flick down the hill, not to mention I hit a 200' sky anny with it the other day at MetCenter. It's deadly accurate on an anhyzer line as long as you don't over torque it which will turn it over too much. I bought it for hole 14 at Pease, but have found so many more uses it for it once I'm out on the course.

bce9f328.jpg

cfcad12e.jpg

Sounds like a competitor to the Stingray to me. When I used a Stingray, that would be just the type of hole I would pull it out on.

I would LBH flex drone that hole. it will hit that line hard and skip up and right on a line towards the basket.

A stratus right out the box is a useful disc. When that thing gets worn in though...wow. My friends and I were playing this summer and we got up to a short hole (200 maybe) and it has a couple ways to play it. My friend grabbed his beat up stratus and tried shape it in there with an anhyzer. It hit about 5 feet from the basket and rolled almost 400 feet away. Obviously a freak roll but I still think they are unpredictable as hell when beat up.
Yeah, I could see that, and Discraft isn't helping matters by having Elite-X as the highest quality plastic it's available in through retail. It's a disc you have to be sensitive with even new, but especially after it's hit a few trees. I never actually do a full reach back or anywhere near a full power throw with it because that will turn it over for sure. It's just a little flick straight from the chest that works best with this disc.

I've throw most of the Midranges currently out there. I have decided to stick with a Wasp/Buzzz combo. I'm trying to beat a Wasp into a Buzzz and a Buzzz into a Meteor at the moment. Some of my others favorites I have thrown is the Core, Stingray (for annies), Meteor (for annies) and the Element X (definitely not the Element).

With that being said, if you are really, really trying to work on form with the midranges a New Comet would be the way to go. It is dead straight out of the box and will make any lines. I could throw amazing annies and hyzer with that thing. t is the best disc for working on any shot from brand new. With that being said, I hated it because I have terrible form. I would throw it 10 degrees off line and it would go for 240 dead straight on the wrong line. It frustrated me so instead of sticking with it and working on it, I walked away and got a disc that was better for my bad form. Which, in theory, a Mako should probably work the same.

Yeah, I could see that, and Discraft isn't helping matters by having Elite-X as the highest quality plastic it's available in through retail. It's a disc you have to be sensitive with even new, but especially after it's hit a few trees. I never actually do a full reach back or anywhere near a full power throw with it because that will turn it over for sure. It's just a little flick straight from the chest that works best with this disc.

Honestly, I think you should try a Meteor. A little less understable than the Stratus but everything else is better. I always talk up the Meteor though so im biased.

Like said earlier the Drone is great for spike hyzers and even short forehands. I have an 177g ESP FLX Drone and the thing is starting to get broke in nicely, predictable and big fade on it. Also I have a 180g Star Shark. Flies very similarly to the Roc but doesn't have that bead on the bottom. I have a KC Pro Roc but it doesn't get the play time because I like the Shark that much more.

Im honestly shocked ha, i have a KC Pro Roc too and i friggin love that thing. At 167g its a little light but after being broken in this is THE straightest disc I have ever seen or thrown. I also have a shark that I dont use b/c my Roc is in my bag ha. But my shark is DX and beaten beyond hell. (I found it)

Latest posts