• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange As Putter?

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
I took my putter (Discraft Banger GT) out of my bag today because I've been sinking way more putts with my midrange (Innova Gator) during practice. I just seem to have a better lock on how the Gator flies, probably because upshots require finesse and I can flex shot the Gator consistently, where I can't with any of my putters.

Anybody else putting with non-putter discs?

I used to, until I learned how to actually putt.

Try something without a thumbtrack, and modestly stable. Aviar, Wizard, Judge, etc. You'll find one that feels right eventually...and you'll stop having 25' comebackers because of a rolling midrange.

I putted with a Firebird when I started playing. It worked pretty well sometimes, but I would blow past the basket if I missed. Lots of 2 and 3 putts. I shoot much lower scores since dropping down to an actual putter.

Force yourself to use a putter if you can. The Sinus is a pretty overstable putter that might flex for you. You could also try to dial in an anhyzer putt that will flatten out as it hits the basket. Uli has pretty good success with this type of putt.

I used to, until I learned how to actually putt.

This, except I still haven't learned to putt...

The best thing I ever read was a review about the 10m brick. Basically it said that the brick was a great disc, because it showed how low you had gotten to trying out cheap gimmicks when you should be working on form with a real putter.

I've used a spider to putt during 1 or 2 disc rounds. Looking at the spider profile, it's essentially a beaded aviar that has the wing stretched out horizontally to make it a speed 5. (Just my opinion; wondering if profile buffs agree?)

Ultimately, you're better off learning to putt with a putter. Higher speed OS discs can be very consistent and predictable (that's what gators and firebirds are). At some point, you'll find that these options yield excessively long come-back putts when you miss. That's why "discing down" to a putter can be very beneficial.

That having been said, whatever results in the lowest score is the best option. You may want to continue putting with the gator for now, and save putting with putters for the practice basket until you've got it locked in.

I'm a newbie, but I putt with my gator from 15' out all the time. hit a 35'er a few weeks back with it, though for me that's not exactly a putt....

Get a Pig from Innova. It's the putter version of the Gator. You already like this style of putting and the Pig won't end up as far away from the basket as the Gator when you miss.

Putters are the best discs out there. Golf is about control. Slower discs are ultimately easier to control. If you like massively overstable discs... get a massively overstable putter.

Gator for a putter??? Wait...my G* Gators are my goto very overstable mid range discs. I can't imagine the crazy hyzer lines or s-curves you would have to putt with when using this disc as a putter? Unless....you're putting in a head wind. :)

As Stardoggy said, learn how to putt. Easier said than done, I'm still working on it. If it's windy I will use my Cro or Tangent as putters.

I've used a spider and cro as putters, then I realized I like lower profile putters. It's all about feel and what works for you. A putter will serve you best for putting, so find the right one for you.

I agree with getting a Piggy, or try some low profile putters. Discraft Zone comes to mind, Harp is another one. Or keep rocking the midrange. If I'm within 10 feet and I have a midrange on the ground, I'll usually just mark it with a mini and putt with the mid range since it's already out.

Yeah I'd put with a Zone over a mid. I use it primarily for upshots and Zone stuff, but it gets promoted to putting duty when it's windy. It works great for 15-30 foot headwind/crosswind putts.

For the most part I only use my putter a sonic but on really windy days (20 mph or more) I step up to a mid just to cut through the wind better. Sonics tend to sail in the wind, have been working with the colt and dagger though as alternatives recently.

my buddy putts with a dx roc. has for years and he is super deadly. like rarely misses inside 40 and jump putts sink a ton as well. he has no plans to switch.

Get a Pig from Innova. It's the putter version of the Gator. You already like this style of putting and the Pig won't end up as far away from the basket as the Gator when you miss.

Rubbish.

The hard spec which has the single greatest, although not exclusive, impact on disc speed is rim width. Pigs are a 1.4 and Gators are a 1.3. This is would indicate pigs are faster. The two are very equal because the pigs height slows it a bit. Innova printing putter on one and mid on the other is defining your perceptions.

But I understand it's easier to read a label than to know stuff!

The Gator, Cro, and Spider have all been mentioned in this thread as Mids which people have regularly putted with. These mids all have smaller diameters than most mids, diameters similar to putters. Might there be a connection?

I putted for a couple of years with just mids and was ok using a dx shark and a ESP meteor. I think it's pretty great for a beginner really cuz I've made some sick shots using mids and you get really good with mid/approach shots. My putting game went to the next level when I got some putters and learned how to use them tho. Now I'm using putters for mid range and short drives, I like to use them a lot.

I like the look of that pig that was recommended, looks like a mid/putter cross. I could see playing a few rounds with just that disc.

Last edited:
You should learn to putt with a putter which isn't really all that difficult. When I first started out I remember hearing a pro say you're going to beat all of your friends in the short-game so I learned how to putt and practiced every day.

Started out by using a Beast because I only carried one disc at the beginning. Then I got more serious and bought a Roc which I began putting with. Eventually, I came to buy a Judge, Warden, Magnet, Aviar, etc. to really start digging down to understand what I want in a putter.

Now, I stick solely to three putters; a Judge, a Warden, and a Swan. Last few league nights I've put in Champ Rhynos, etc. because I've found the putters that work for me and they really help your game from within 200 ft. of the pin.

Interesting timing on this question.
I originally started playing with 2 other guys, the experienced one in the group was putting with a mid but he gave both of us noobs putters our first time out. He uses a putter now but it wasn't easy convincing him it was a good idea. But this isn't what I came here to say. So yesterday I was playing a round with the other guy that started playing the same day I did and after we were playing 'horseshoes' between 2 baskets about 50' apart. My friend was using a warden, 2 sharks and a gator. The only ones that were going in for him were the sharks.

Sharks seem to be pretty good putters. Early on I noticed that, and remembering that I have been including 2 DX Sharks in my stack of practice putters. They definitely hold their own. I think some of that is the way they fit my putting grip.

Latest posts