• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange As Putter?

Rubbish.

The hard spec which has the single greatest, although not exclusive, impact on disc speed is rim width. Pigs are a 1.4 and Gators are a 1.3. This is would indicate pigs are faster. The two are very equal because the pigs height slows it a bit. Innova printing putter on one and mid on the other is defining your perceptions.

But I understand it's easier to read a label than to know stuff!

The Gator, Cro, and Spider have all been mentioned in this thread as Mids which people have regularly putted with. These mids all have smaller diameters than most mids, diameters similar to putters. Might there be a connection?

I've thrown both discs. The Gator is definitely faster. I don't much get into rim width determining speed. I throw them to know for certain. The Pig has zero glide and slows down pronto. It would probably make the OP a happy man.

I used a Mako for a long time until I found the putter I liked. Try a Rhyno, it feels similar to a Gator, and has similar flight numbers. Im might make the transition from mid to putter a litter easier.

A Classic Roc is a great "tweener" disc. Not sure if it is considered a putter or not.

This, except I still haven't learned to putt...

The best thing I ever read was a review about the 10m brick. Basically it said that the brick was a great disc, because it showed how low you had gotten to trying out cheap gimmicks when you should be working on form with a real putter.
Ha ha, replace 10 brick with Ching Juju and you've got my story.
The Gator, Cro, and Spider have all been mentioned in this thread as Mids which people have regularly putted with. These mids all have smaller diameters than most mids, diameters similar to putters. Might there be a connection?

Yeah, you start splitting hairs when you're talking about putting with small diameter mids. I used to jump-putt with a Skeeter a lot, another small diameter "mid." Then you've got wide diameter putter like the Aero, jeez no wonder people are confused.

Bumped an old thread instead of making one.

I putt with a Suspect and I'm one who tests and practices with a bunch of putters. It's easily a top 3 consistent winner when I play my game with the basket. I take all my putters or low mids out to putt with. Whatever misses is out.

The Suspect, Ion, Wizard and Gator were all the most consistent. Suspect was vastly better than the other 3.

I see nothing at all wrong calling the Suspect a fringe putter like calling a Wizard a fringe mid.

Stardoggy said it. Putting with a Gator isn't putting it's chucking a mid at close range into metal. Putters serve a lot more purpose than just puttong as well. If you dont have control over them then You're severely lacking something in your bag.

I'd agree with you. I putt with what I like and the most consistent by far is the Suspect for me.

Aren't you the same guy that says you use a fairway driver from Circle 2? I think that was you. Clearly you've got your own unique style of playing, which is fine as long as you're just out there to have fun. But if you want to significantly improve your game then I do think at some point you'll need to switch to a more traditional way of playing. There's a reason that no one on tour putts with an overstable midrange, or lays up with a fairway driver from 50 feet. You may find some marginal improvement by continuing to putt and approach the way you do, but you will eventually run into a ceiling. At that point you will wish you'd switched how you play earlier rather than building up muscle memory that now has to be torn down and rebuilt.

So really, it's all about what you want to get out of the game.
Just for fun: do whatever you want.
Get better: find a neutral putter to putt with.

Putting with a mid can be surprisingly effective. I've had a few situations where I left my putter at home with the practice basket and played a casual round using a Roc to putt with. I had a significantly lower propensity to miss low with the Roc than I do with the Wizard. Air balls are more punishing, though.

I've also played a couple 1 disc challenges with a Teebird and was very surprised that I could still make 25 ft'ers. Again, air balls were punishing because they went way past the basket.

I wouldn't recommend putting with not a putter. More of your 2 putts will turn into 3 putts. It's not an accident that most of the people you see using something other than a putter to putt are huckers.

I started out playing as a kid with one Disc usually a Scorpion.. It's a mid... when I got back into it 15 years ago I still didn't like putters.. Didn't like the deep rim and used a 170 Buzzz instead I think I was packing a magnet next... I'd putt my whole bag when I only owned a few discs.. Focusing on Disc trajectory rather than result.

FF... Point is I got past it, developed a smoother putt and less need for something ridiculously overstable for that range.. My game progressed, I also rarely throw drivers on holes 200' or less.

Played one today about that length and remembered all the times I aced it when that was as far as I could throw a panther. Today I flexed an Envy over and blew past by 40'

I will still putt with a mid.. My Tangent if it's a one disc or two disc round... really windy and I think it will help, or I need to break a bad Funk in a round. You know I'm playing poorly or putting trouble, maybe putt bag on the shoulder with a mid.

Bumped an old thread instead of making one.

I putt with a Suspect and I'm one who tests and practices with a bunch of putters. It's easily a top 3 consistent winner when I play my game with the basket. I take all my putters or low mids out to putt with. Whatever misses is out.

The Suspect, Ion, Wizard and Gator were all the most consistent. Suspect was vastly better than the other 3.

I see nothing at all wrong calling the Suspect a fringe putter like calling a Wizard a fringe mid.

So.....putting actually has nothing to do with the player. Just go with the disc that has magic in it. I mean, you can do whatever you want, just have fun doing it....but this is kind of dumb.

Putting with a mid can be surprisingly effective. I've had a few situations where I left my putter at home with the practice basket and played a casual round using a Roc to putt with. I had a significantly lower propensity to miss low with the Roc than I do with the Wizard. Air balls are more punishing, though.

I've also played a couple 1 disc challenges with a Teebird and was very surprised that I could still make 25 ft'ers. Again, air balls were punishing because they went way past the basket.

I wouldn't recommend putting with not a putter. More of your 2 putts will turn into 3 putts. It's not an accident that most of the people you see using something other than a putter to putt are huckers.

I will say this....when I am 15 feet or in, I have been using my Bullfrog as my putter as of late. The Suspect is most consistent in any putting range, but have been learning more.

So.....putting actually has nothing to do with the player. Just go with the disc that has magic in it. I mean, you can do whatever you want, just have fun doing it....but this is kind of dumb.

Fun for me and I can tell what molds I like and what I dont. The ones I like are a little beefy and shallow. A few that I can throw farther than my beaten up Suspects. I can throw Wizards farther but the feel of my Suspect makes the putt easier mentally for me.

The Ion, Wizard, Pig, Bullfrog, Maiden, Harp, Judge, and Warden are all disc I sometimes switch to in rounds. Just like the Suspect. I'm dumb I guess.

Fun for me and I can tell what molds I like and what I dont. The ones I like are a little beefy and shallow. A few that I can throw farther than my beaten up Suspects. I can throw Wizards farther but the feel of my Suspect makes the putt easier mentally for me.

The Ion, Wizard, Pig, Bullfrog, Maiden, Harp, Judge, and Warden are all disc I sometimes switch to in rounds. Just like the Suspect. I'm dumb I guess.

I would advise not switching between 7 different molds, for putting, during a round. But, i get it. You putt with suspects, and we all know now.

Latest posts