• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange

What midrange do you use?

Traditional weights
170 Z Hornet
175 Z Comet
170 X Comet (x2)

150 Class
Z Hornet

I have also thrown a 175 D Wasp and 175 DX (Rancho) Roc. May go back to Rocs, likely won't go back to Wasps.

Why do you like it[/them]?

For mids and fairways, I like to pair discs to cover all lines. This usually an overstable/stable disc with a stable/understable disc i.e. Eagles and Teebirds, Hornets and Comets. I could certainly use one fairway mold and one mid mold and cover everything with different plastics and stages of wear, and that is certainly something I think about when I'm looking to add or remove discs/molds from the bag.

I love Comets for all of the reasons stated in the Preamble to the DGR Comet Love thread.

I like Hornets because of the feel of the plastic (in heavy weights) and how the rim fits in my hand.

I like - but do not love - Rocs because they are the best example of discs that can do anything with enough copies of them in different plastics and states of wear. I trust by 175 DX Rancho to do whatever I tell it to want, and there is no concrete reason for my lack of enthusiasm. I also found that a seasoned Rocs and Comets overlap - both are straight, point-and-shoot discs with lots of glide, with Rocs being slightly faster and Comets having noticibly more glide. If the Hornets don't work, I'm going to KC Pro Rocs to fill the overstable slot.

The D Wasp was my first midrange, and I moved away from it because mine was too thrashed to use - it had lots of turn but retained fade, especially if you gave it height - and D plastic is now OOP. As has been said elsewhere, it's hard to find a good Wasp and I don't care for Ti plastic (unless a Ti Comet comes out!).

Latest posts