• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mids vs Weather

bazillion

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I've noticed that some days, my go-to mid (DX Roc) does exactly what I want it to and other days it does exactly what IT wants to.

When the Roc's misbehavin, I go to my #2 mid and that usually works fine. My question is, have you noticed that any particular weather condition affects the plastic that works best for you? I'm thinking maybe it's temperature, maybe it's humidity, but I really don't know.

Looking to the Community of Experts for advice ...

increased humidity could lead to increased resistance on the flight of the disc perhaps causing more turn

I havent personally noticed a change in the way my disc throws when its hotter or colder but i dont usually throw DX so maybe its a DX thing

Big barometric pressure changes will effect a discs flight slightly. Cold air is more dense and it seems like I throw furthest when its 50 degrees or warmer. Wind. Rain. Acctually, im pretty sure all weather takes some kind of effect on any flying object.

i find that more often than not, it's not the disc that changed, but me. could be sore, could be distracted, maybe i "figured it out" last time and am missing a step in my form this time... idk, this is just me, but i can't think of a logical weather scenario that would cause big differences in disc performance, aside from major temperature change.

I'm thinking it might also be moisture, as in how much moisture there is between the hand and the plastic, which would affect grip.

Temperature does effect flight. Baseballs, footballs, golf discs all tend to fly further in warmer weather than colder weather.

Think of how eagles or hawks use rising hot air to soar for hours. The same thermals can also effect disc flight, if you don't know what I mean throw one of your discs over an empty asphalt parking lot this summer and you'll see.

Mark Ellis also had a good thread over at the DGR forums about having to disc up during the winter because nothing flew as long as it did during the warmer months.

I've noticed that some days, my go-to mid (DX Roc) does exactly what I want it to and other days it does exactly what IT wants to. . . .

Do you notice this with any other discs? If not, I would guess that the weather is affecting your grip rather than affecting the disc's flight. Rocs are very stable when released cleanly, but rather susceptible to OAT / wobble on the throw. Perhaps humidity or whatever is messing with your release.

the only thing i've found is that when it's really cold(and therefore low humidity) discs are more overstable. high humidity "should" provide more glide- much like a baseball flies further in high humidity.

Do you notice this with any other discs? If not, I would guess that the weather is affecting your grip rather than affecting the disc's flight. Rocs are very stable when released cleanly, but rather susceptible to OAT / wobble on the throw. Perhaps humidity or whatever is messing with your release.

Yeah, come to think of it the same sort of thing happens with my drivers. I've been chalking it up to faulty disc selection b/c I couldn't figure out how humidity affected grip for a given plastic, but that sounds like a more reasonable explanation.

So how *does* humidity affect grip?

(And none of your "ITT" there, zennie - we all know where you went to school :D )

theoretically, the best conditions to throw are warm and desert dry. But, as far as I am concerned, temp and humidity have less to do with actual flight and effect grip much more.

the only thing i've found is that when it's really cold(and therefore low humidity) discs are more overstable. high humidity "should" provide more glide- much like a baseball flies further in high humidity.

Baseballs fly better in less humidity. The Colorado Rockies have kept all of their baseballs in humidors for the last few years to reduce the amount of homeruns at Coors field.

Temperature does effect flight. Baseballs, footballs, golf discs all tend to fly further in warmer weather than colder weather.

god I hope you're right. My farthest throw so far is 430', and that was during the winter here. I wonder if I'll get more distance when it's 115 out there. :thmbup:

Baseballs fly better in less humidity. The Colorado Rockies have kept all of their baseballs in humidors for the last few years to reduce the amount of homeruns at Coors field.

keeping the baseballs in humidors makes them softer and therefore rebound with less force. has nothing to do with the humidity of the air.

"...Thus, the more water vapor that is mixed into the air, the lesser will be the molecular weight of the mixture. High humidity corresponds to a large amount of water vapor in the air. Therefore, the more humid it is, the lighter the air actually is."
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/article_362bd3a4-4974-11df-b5b1-001cc4c002e0.html

keeping the baseballs in humidors makes them softer and therefore rebound with less force. has nothing to do with the humidity of the air.

"...Thus, the more water vapor that is mixed into the air, the lesser will be the molecular weight of the mixture. High humidity corresponds to a large amount of water vapor in the air. Therefore, the more humid it is, the lighter the air actually is."
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/article_362bd3a4-4974-11df-b5b1-001cc4c002e0.html

I stand corrected, you learn something new everyday. I apologize.

I've noticed that some days, my go-to mid (DX Roc) does exactly what I want it to and other days it does exactly what IT wants to.

When the Roc's misbehavin, I go to my #2 mid and that usually works fine. My question is, have you noticed that any particular weather condition affects the plastic that works best for you? I'm thinking maybe it's temperature, maybe it's humidity, but I really don't know.

Looking to the Community of Experts for advice ...
Anything that affects how the Roc flies will affect your other discs the same way. My guess is that it's something you're doing.

I find that if something is off for any certain day, getting my Rocs to fly right is usually what fixes it.

increased humidity could lead to increased resistance on the flight of the disc perhaps causing more turn

Wrong. Water vapor is less dense than air. Increased humidity leads to DEcreased resistance.

That's why the disc goes further in summer, when it is warmer and therefore the air can take in more water vapor.

Edit : damn, Russel beat me to it ^^

Last edited:
I have been playing disc golf for two years now and have an above average knowledge of disc golf, but if we are talking baseball let me educate you clowns. Baeballs fly significantly farther in high heat and lower humidity. The colorado rockies humiditors have nothing to do with how far the baseball goes while batting, they humidify the ball because you cannot get the same movement on the ball when pitching when the ball is so dry, with low humidty in the air. This is all fact and undebatable, compare it to disc golf how you will.