• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Exhausting Courses....

Renny Gold was probably the most taxing course I have ever played, but then again I played Kilborne before I tackled it. After Renny I was so worn out that the only cool down that seemed appropiate was a round at Winget. :clap:

For those who think Flyboy is exhausting...tsk*tsk* It's in Georgia, the "hills" you have to climb are very tame. I think you guys just don't play enough golf.

R.L. Smith can be a tough go for some, but others (such as me) rather enjoy the walk in the park (pun intended).

Deer lakes in PA made me quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey thought I was about to have a heart attack out there

North GA Canopy Tours in Lula, GA.
1st time I played there, it was @ 98 degrees w/ high humidity. That and the combination of extreme elevation changes nearly did me in.

the new morningside course in knoxville isn't as extreme as some of the courses posted, but it's pretty hilly and the new design has nearly all of the baskets on a hill which can wear out your legs. add in the July/August heat and humidity and you're wiped out after one round.

Flyboy is NOT exhausting. I mean, yeah it's tiring because it's long, and there are some nice elevation changes, but there are rest stops everywhere, not to mention the hangar break before the final few holes. And you're playing Flyboy, so you know another signature hole is coming up, which brings a smile, not a grimace.

I offer Elk Mountain as an exhausting round:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1232

Elevation? You want drop-offs, steep climbs, vertical hikes?
Appalachian mountain golf at its finest, and you'll damn sure know it when you're HALFWAY done!
Flip thru the pics to get a seed of an idea how steep and taxing this course can be.
Hell, there's a zip line course above your head on the back 9!

There's a reason why they built a seperate course at the lodge, and kept it mostly flat!

Personally I didn't think Renny, Flyboy, or Idlewild were that taxing. Sure they're beastly long with some elevation but there's a balance to each of these. Holler In The Hills can be exhausting. Depends on how much you want to carry in your bag and how fast you wanna walk. Played that course in an hour flat one day with a full bag... and it was thunderstorming.

Agreed.

Mount Lemmon in Tucson, AZ is only a temp course, but is brutal as hell. It's really hard to breathe at 10,000+ elevation.

top of mount lemmon is only slightly over 9,100+.. :confused: Most of our mountain course are that or higher.

The ones that exhaust me are Bailey or Beaver Ranch. BR especially if you walk to hole 1 instead of going around the side to hole 11. That walk back can be the suck for sure.

Last edited:
Flip City is the only course I have played one round and it wore me out. I have no idea why I thought I could handle more that day, but 24 holes, 7000 feet of elevation changes and 85 degree heat knocked me out.

Flip City during an Ice Bowl was the most exhausting round I've ever played. There was 2 1/2ft of snow on the ground. High stepping Flip with those hills ain't easy...

Noill Golf takes a drive at flip on hole 4..
photo-3.jpg

Played that course in an hour flat one day with a full bag... and it was thunderstorming.

"Well we had it tough... there were 150 of us living in a shoebox in the middle of the road..."

;)

Just teasing. I know y'all are much more fit than I'm ever likely to be, if you regularly hit any of the courses mentioned in this thread. I'm trying to decide if these inspire me to put them on my wish list, or just make a separate list of courses I'm not likely to be able to survive. Diamond X sounds like it might top THAT list!!

for me, it was iron hill in delaware. the first time i played it was the day after i had played a tourney up in new jersey. i was already pretty beat, but had the opportunity to play it with a few really good players and wanted to get 'schooled' a bit. they shot low 70s, i shot a 90 :gross: but the next time i went back i shot a 77 to make up for it!

Ashe is not so bad, but Bear Tree is disc golf's answer to the Appalachian Trail. By the time you get to 15, you will be looking for Julie Andrews and the Von Trapp family.
Deis Hill is also formidable.

ha...for sure. the walk to tee #1 is uphill. and you continue an uphill hike through #3, which is well up there. overall, the course is a hike but the scenery makes it more than worthwhile. several of the most beautiful holes i've played are at black jack.

The closest I've ever come to quitting in the middle of a round was my first time at Flyboy, during the ADGO event in November a couple of years ago. Heavy thunderstorms all night the night before, still going on that morning. Temps in the low 40s, winds at least 20 mph and gusting to 40 or so, torrential rain. Start delayed by a couple of hours. Started on the runway hole (18). Brand new golf umbrella blown out by the wind before we even started. By the time we made the turn back by the hangar, I was cold, drenched, and worn out mentally, and was seriously questioning whether it wouldn't be smarter to just settle in at the hangar and wait for all the other idiots to finish. At least one in our group did just that. But the rain had slackened a bit and the sky was getting lighter, so I talked myself into staying out. Several more strong downpours and four hours or so later, we finally finished. There wasn't a dry stitch on me, and it took two hours to even begin to warm up, but I made it. And the course was everything it was made out to be -- so much so that I'd do it again in the same conditions.

The most I've ever wanted to quit because of exhaustion was at the IDGC, in June 2010. It was a two-round, one-day tournament, with the Rec division playing Jackson in the morning and Steady Ed in the afternoon. Temps were in the mid-90s, and humidity was extremely high. Jackson took a lot out of me, but I didn't realize how much until about 6-7 holes into the afternoon round. Despite Steady Ed being shorter, by the ninth or tenth hole we played I was so tired and dehydrated that if it hadn't been nearly as long to walk back to the building without playing as it was to keep throwing, I'd probably have done so. I was drinking a half-liter or more of water at every cooler we hit, topping up the liter bottle again before leaving the tee area, and drinking all of that before we hit the next one. I was still throwing, but I quite literally did not care a bit about what happened with the throw -- I just wanted to be done. I actually didn't play all that badly for me -- about 40 points above my rating at the time, and 40 points better than my morning round at Jackson (Steady Ed being much more my kind of course), and I wouldn't hesitate to go back and play either or both courses (for one thing, I'm 70 pounds lighter than I was then) but I'd definitely want to do it under better conditions. I was able to compartmentalize my reactions to the courses (liked both a lot) from my physical reaction that day (no fun at all).

I still haven't played White Oak, just west of Atlanta, but those who have tell me it's quite a workout, with tons of dramatic elevation change. Richmond Hill was a lot of climbing up and down, but didn't absolutely destroy me or anything. Caddying for my son at Eastway during Worlds (fifth of six rounds in four days) was tiring and the sun was brutal at times, but not so bad that it kept me from going back out there the next afternoon after his morning round at Hornet's Nest and spending six hours shooting pictures, waiting out the lightning delay, and then spotting for the Advanced Women for the last several holes when it was too wet to take the camera back out. Still haven't made it to Renny, except for what I saw when we were at the park for the putting finals and what I've seen in pictures, but from that it looks like it would be tiring but manageable.

Wayne near Drumheller Alberta

the Lost Egg Tournament was this past weekend (this weekend every year for the last 12 years)

it is in 'badlands"
the brush is thick and scratchy
there are nasty little cactii
the hills are steep
the terrain rough
and no shade

it is usually 35+ Celcius (95+F)

the 2 rounds on Saturday started with a 9:30 players meeting, 10 tee off, my group got off the course at about 7:15
there was about a 1.5 lunch break

it absolutely takes it out of you
the 2 days of the tournament are an exercise in endurance, battling the terrain and elements (heat and wind), and keeping concentration

This course is a total slog, especially in the heat that we played in on the weekend. Diamond X is a fairly close comparison, I'm not sure which is/was more exhausting.

I don't have any great pics to show how extreme it really is, but here's a few of the course and what it can do to you...

This is from about halfway up the course. The terrain is sage bush, cactus, rock, dust and elevation...
photo-86.jpg

We found this guys disc 5' down this crack, which was pretty shallow in comparison to other holes and cracks out there.
photo-88.jpg

And my hiking boot a few holes in on the first round of the weekend.
photo-90.jpg

I'll throw out the mighty gaw course in suburban new jersey. Up and down that damn ski hill 5 times.

Stafford seems less exhausting these days to me. Its really only hole 1 that you hike.

BOP sounds oddly familiar...kinda like an old temp course named Tarwater.

Those shadeless badlands courses sound like hell, except when you factor in the reno adventure course.

But Sqauw takes it in my book of courses so far. Starting at 8500 and then along the bowl and extreme uphill at the end. I was very tired.

I was thinking of mighty gaw as well especially in the humidity of summer......climbing that hill a few times is not exactly an everyday type of course