• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Holes Played in 24 Hours

jtreadwell

Wizard of Plastic Land
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Hi All! Just bringing to your attention that currently my buddy Mike is making a run at most holes played in 24 hours at Pyramids DGC (home of Marshall Street Disc Golf)! He has to average 2 holes a minute, so they have him on a modified version of the Pink course (holes ranging from around 70 - 120ft) and they are live streaming the event on Marshall Street's Facebook page. Mike is raising money for Hand in Hand for Lyme Foundation (something Disc Golfers can get behind!) and if you're in the Worchester, MA area you should swing by for the free beer and raffles. One of the prizes being a brand new, 2006 Augusta Wraith, I'm sure it's worth it! Go Mike!:clap::clap:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marshall-Street-Disc-Golf/115178064422

Wishing him well and yes... fighting Lyme disease is something most of us should be able to really get behind.
Hope he raises lot$ of ca$h!

When you say "making a run at most holes played in 24 hrs" ...is he hoping that if he succeeds in playing more holes than the current record (whatever that # may be today), he'll be recognized as the new (if not temporary) "record holder" by whatever authority "officially" recognizes such feats of DG prowess? I'm no maven on the rules for World Recordage, but...

I'm pretty sure all the previous records have been set on something that has been deemed a permanent course, rather than on anything that can be deemed a temp layout, particularly temp layout drawn up specifically for that purpose.*

Strictly advocating for Beelzebub himself, what's to stop anyone from setting up 9 or 18 incredibly well positioned 35 to 70 ft holes as a temp layout to make record obliteration that much easier?

* i.e. as opposed to temp layouts for tournaments, which are usually intended to increase challenge/difficulty or at least fairness, rather than to decrease challenge.

Last edited:
I think the current one was set on the Tiki course at the blockhouse which is super short.

Plus it's like 2900 holes, going to take a Herculean effort to top that even on a short course.

You could make me a nine hole course of 50 footers and I couldn't do 3000 in a day probably...

Strictly advocating for Beelzebub himself, what's to stop anyone from setting up 9 or 18 incredibly well positioned 35 to 70 ft holes as a temp layout to make record obliteration that much easier?

* i.e. as opposed to temp layouts for tournaments, which are usually intended to increase challenge/difficulty or at least fairness, rather than to decrease challenge.

I think the current one was set on the Tiki course at the blockhouse which is super short.

Plus it's like 2900 holes, going to take a Herculean effort to top that even on a short course.

You could make me a nine hole course of 50 footers and I couldn't do 3000 in a day probably...

Exactly. I'm pretty sure it's a Guinness World record (though I personally find GWR kinda a joke) that he's going for. And yeah, even with 70 - 120ft holes, a hole every 30 seconds is still a blistering pace for 24 hours straight. I think it calculated out to around 64 miles but don't quote me on that.

FYI, and because it is an amazing feat and Marty did an amazing job of putting this video together. I got a little chill just starting it again. Def watch it all the way to the end.

The Pyramids Pink course is a permanent course, albeit just 6 holes. They've modified it by adding three more holes to it and also, I presume, changed out the baskets from the Bullseyes that are normally used to full size targets (where the live camera is stationed shows a Prodigy basket).

As Moose alludes to, previous records including the current one were set on very short courses to begin with. I believe in some cases only select holes of whatever course were used rather than the whole thing. Like the record setters played 1, 2, 17, 18 or something like that.

The record is most holes played, not most rounds. As long as there are consistent tees and targets on holes of a minimum length (I'm sure there is a minimum), does it really matter if they're part of a permanent course or not?

One other thing to add about the course. I believe another reason they added holes was to put some of them under the lights that they already have for their DDC court so Mike can play through the night without needing glow discs.

Granted; at 1535 ft for 18 holes (avg length of 85 ft), the Tiki course might essentially be long range putting practice on 18 different baskets. It may close temporarily from time to time, but my point is, it's still considered a permanent course.

Just thought I recall from a previous "most holes played in 24 hrs" thread, something about the attempt having to be made on a permanent course for it to be considered a record (or something to that effect). :confused:
... or maybe I'm just getting old & senile. :eek: :(

Anyway, if the OP's friend Mike, is Mike Sale - dude's been there, done that, probably gonna do it again ...and surely knows more about this sort of thing than some old guy plunking away on his keyboard. :p

Wishing nothing him nothing but good luck!

Last edited:
Mike in this case is Mike Laterreur. He's a friend of mine too. He's been prepping for this for a while now, I'm sure he's seen to all the details to make this thing legit.

if you've ever participated in a 24 hour event (I've done some running and mountain bike events), as some point it becomes pure misery. always. looks like hell to me, even if it's disc golf. props!

With about 3.5 hours to go, he's eclipsed the 2800 hole mark. At this pace, he's going to put the record up over 3000 holes.

Good for him! Just out of curiosity...

How short can the holes be, and how contrived can the course be, before we begin to question the validity of a new record?

What if I supplemented a 1400ft niner with 9 more baskets to make a continuous 18 hole loop with hardly any space between basket & next tee, with avg hole under 78'?

What if avg length were under 50'??
How far can it go before we (or whomever determines if it's a record) calls "BS?"

Not trying to cast shade on the Mike's current attempt. It just seems things are headed that direction, and wondering where the line would/should be drawn.

OK. Would 50 ft avg length be "acceptable?"
Should we start a separate thread with a pole?

Would have made a pole myself, but I'm on my phone... so it would be a royal pain.

As someone who has held this record before, the satipulation was that it needs to be a permenant course that is recognized by the governing body, so on the course list on the PDGA directory.
This is one hell of an effort, and all the props to him in the world. I know what he is going through physically. However, this sort of creates a slippery slope if we are able to play temporary courses, as we could make the course like 10' holes since no sane person would do that for a permenant course.
I'm curious if he is going through Guinness, I know the guy who beat my record with 1920 holes, did not go through Guinness, but it's still accepted as being the best at one point.

Latest posts