• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most popular discs you never tried

jakebake91

* Ace Member *
Just a curiosity question for you guys, stemming from a discussion at the course the other day.

We talk all the time about all these popular molds we love and yada yada. But what are the "staples" or popular mainstream molds you have never thrown? Any reason in particular you never tried them? My list will probably shock some people (just like the guy I was talking to the other day)

My never thrown list includes:

Roc
Teebird
Destroyer

My reasons: I just fell in love with certain discs early, and also developed an issue with Innova early. Not based on the discs per se, but from a quality standpoint. Another discussion for another time.....

Aviar

It took me a while to think of it, because I have tried almost all of the most popular molds, but I have never thrown one. No reason really, but now I'm motivated to give them a shot just for the experience.

I think I've tried all of the classic and modern classic molds. The biggest generalization I think I can say is that with the older Innova popular/classic molds, you need to throw them already beaten in to understand why certain people love them so much. Like a Roc/Teebird/Eagle/Destroyer needs to have been bagged for a couple of years and then when you try one that is perfectly neutral but still handles all the power you have, you understand why they are so loved. Out of the box, usually not so special though unless you are lucky and know how to pick them.

Roc, teebird. Maybe Aviar? I have an ancient Innova misprint putter that I used for years that I guess is some sort of aviar but not sure.

I think I've tried all of the classic and modern classic molds. The biggest generalization I think I can say is that with the older Innova popular/classic molds, you need to throw them already beaten in to understand why certain people love them so much. Like a Roc/Teebird/Eagle/Destroyer needs to have been bagged for a couple of years and then when you try one that is perfectly neutral but still handles all the power you have, you understand why they are so loved. Out of the box, usually not so special though unless you are lucky and know how to pick them.

My knowing how to pick them is all skill, no luck involved ;)

I've never thrown a Buzzz, Eagle, or Firebird. Nothing against each of those molds, but I already have discs that cover what I think they do. I may get around to trying them out of pure curiosity, but not with an intention to bag them.

I just looked at DiscGolfCenter's current Top Seller list. There are four molds on it that I have not thrown yet: Zeus, Anax, Luna, and Raider.
The Raider looks to be a mold that could be serviceable to me, though I would just be substituting it for another mold that I am already familiar with.

All the hype for the Paul McBeth molds actually turns me off from them entirely.
People talk about fanboyism for Dynamic Discs products, but the Paul McBeth line is on a whole different level.

So, I guess I won't be bothering to try the new molds just yet.

I just looked at DiscGolfCenter's current Top Seller list. There are four molds on it that I have not thrown yet: Zeus, Anax, Luna, and Raider.
The Raider looks to be a mold that could be serviceable to me, though I would just be substituting it for another mold that I am already familiar with.

I personally didn't consider the super hot just released discs...I was only thinking of stuff that has stayed popular for at least the last season. Lots of drivers get tons of hype as soon as they come out, but some you can tell are staying popular like the Shryke still gets lots of praise even though it isn't brand new.

I personally didn't consider the super hot just released discs...I was only thinking of stuff that has stayed popular for at least the last season. Lots of drivers get tons of hype as soon as they come out, but some you can tell are staying popular like the Shryke still gets lots of praise even though it isn't brand new.

I am a bit of a disc junkie, so I chose to think of this in terms of discs that are very popular right now.

Otherwise, I would be saying something like, "I've never thrown a, um, ... Discraft Wildcat." To which people will respond with, "Discraft Wildcat!? That hasn't been in production for years." To which I will apologize with, "Sorry. I was having trouble finding another one."

I've tried most of them, I know it's a modern classic but probably Ion is the only mold people rave about I haven't at least tried. Though I've not tried the Sexybird but have tried like 1000 Firebirds.

I've never thrown a Comet, but I'm mighty curious about it. I throw a Buzzz so I feel like that's close enough. And I mostly play at an open course, not wooded. Maybe some day I'll pull the trigger

Latest posts