• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Munster, IN not markham,IL

bthoma1

Eagle Member
So looks like I'll be in munster and not markham. Though they are fairly close. Any leagues around this area. I tried searching around and checking fbook. Not much luck? And or must hit courses? Probably will play the ones posted in Munster

I'd suggest forgetting about finding a local league and driving just a bit to hit Lemon Lake. Not in as good a shape a it used to be, but still a reasonably good cluster of courses in comparison to others in the area. Head down 41 and hit some combo of silver/gold then white; and finally red and/or blue.

Nearby Missile Ridge is also kinda fun if a little scruffy with slightly wonky routing.

Or go the other way and play The Canyons.
Remember when Mokena was a big deal and everybody in Chicago said you HAD to play Mokena? I don't think anybody goes to Mokena anymore. It's like somebody realized you could do something other than throw hyzers on flat ground or something.

Remember when Mokena was a big deal and everybody in Chicago said you HAD to play Mokena? I don't think anybody goes to Mokena anymore. It's like somebody realized you could do something other than throw hyzers on flat ground or something.

Yeah.

I think part of it was that the course was in a nice looking park, whereas a lot of the area courses were in scruffy looking parks. 27 holes was considered a bonus as well.

I played Mokena a few years back in a tourney where they used roped OB and combined holes to make a USDGC style 18 hole layout. It was the first time I'd been there in a few years and I don't think I've been back since.

It's nice playing under those big oaks, but there's surprisingly little variety. 27 (repetitive) holes.

Joliet is a nice destination, with The Canyons and Highland Park pretty close to each other. I have only played The Canyons, which was fantastic.

Rogers Lakewood is about the same distance in the opposite direction. I have not played that one either, but it looks fun.

But I would defer to locals regarding current course conditions.

I played The Canyons in late Sept, it was very good. It's a long walk to hole 1 or I parked in the wrong place. I saw the pro shop and others parking near holes 12/13.

You parked in the wrong place. Should have just started where you parked. (If you parked where I suspect you did)

I played The Canyons in late Sept, it was very good. It's a long walk to hole 1 or I parked in the wrong place. I saw the pro shop and others parking near holes 12/13.
Dellwood is a study in long golf-less walks, but if the long walk that stood out to you was from your car to hole 1 you must have parked in the wrong spot. There are so many more long walks on that course that deserve to be complained about that parking lot to 1 doesn't break my top five.

Latest posts