• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

music and disc golf

I play on a very busy course, so keep this is in mind. (If you play by yourself on an empty course, this may not apply.)
I am one of those people that is very distracted by music speakers on the course. One of the reasons that I wear earbuds when I play DG is that it keeps out unwanted noise - including others playing music from speakers.

When I'm more than 5' feet away from your bag, I don't hear the music, true. What I hear is a caucophony of unintelligible sound and noise that sounds like music to someone who is within 5'.

If you want to listen to your music, I'm okay with that. What I do not appreciate is when I am forced to listen to someone else's music.

I don't dislike YOU, but I may very much dislike your music.
Wear earbuds, please.

I appreciate your POV. Anytime someone asks me to turn it down or off, I do so immediately and without question. Like I said before the request I get 99.99% of the time this issue arises is to turn it up, not down or off.

However, I will not walk on eggshells and play without music for casual and/or league rounds while assuming that every disc golfer shares your POV. Our league rounds around here are very casual.

Having said all of that, if I am ever able to find a pair of earbuds that does not hurt my ears & stays in for more than 2 minutes, I will certainly spend the money. :thmbup:

I have not found a pair of earbuds that stay in my ears while playing...unless you take them out to throw.

gotta get a set that go around the ears, and then slip the cord through the back of your shirt down to your pocket. Works good for me in the few practice rounds.

Though i actually just bought an ipod shuffle and clip it to my hat, wrap the wires around my strap on my hat...and have no cord going down to possibly affect my throwing.

I'll never understand why people think it's acceptable or cool to be playing your music loudly in a public place like a park or disc golf course. Be considerate enough to realize you're not the only one there and a few people might enjoy the peaceful quiet that a park can bring. Get yourself some earbuds and enjoy your music alone.

I have asked that music be turned off while i'm throwing. It's fine to have it on when others are throwing. Most people around here listen to junk from last century. Maybe if they listened to something new I would allow it.

For those who can't find decent earbuds to keep in while playing here is what I use. Not expensive, holds enough mp3s, and don't need to take them out. Just keep your head on a swivel so you don't get hit with a disc.

Sony-Walkman-Earbud-MP3.png

If you like to listen to music out loud on a disc golf course and not be conscious of others around you, then hopefully you don't mind me taking a sledge hammer to your noise box.;)

Almost hearing the music or just the thump of the base notes is just as distracting. Some people have the earbuds up so loud I can hear them 5 ft away.

But like most things in life it depends: wide open course and no one around - blast away; compact course with a lot of back up - maybe even earbuds aren't a good idea. Just be considerate of others and we'll all get along. No homicides and no sledge hammers.

Wow. I thought I was an old man. Guess not. Sure, if we're talking about tournament play, or leagues, I guess, then I understand and would never bring my speakers, because I have at least one manner (singular) that I remember to use. But seriously, the little portable speaker pouches? Barely audible from more than 10'. I do not feel the least bit bad on a Tuesday morning in a public park playing my Ipod while we play. Yes, I keep it down. Yes, I am aware of what speakers in clip sound like (fuzzy distorted) and do not crank it up past its capacity. Yes, I am considerate of other players, so if I am walking up on another group I'll pause it. No, I am not carting around a giant ghetto blaster circa 1985 (great picture earlier in this thread BTW). Yes, I am 42 years old and when I am playing music, it will most likely be something hard and fast like Lamb of God, Pantera, Tool, or even Slipknot. No, you will not hear it unless we are sharing a teebox or possibly if we cross paths. Again, I state that if we are in proximity for any length of time I will pause it. (Most of the time the other guy will say "Don't do that on my account") If you're referencing the termites that come out after school and chuck their one "found" disc, smoke weed, talk loud and generally annoy all of us, sure. Rant away. But it is a PUBLIC park and you're gonna get that. But if you're talking to me and mine, a genuine player with good sense and courtesy as my guide, settle down. It's a game in a park. Most times I love the noisy silence of the woods. Some times I want to hear some music.
Come on. When did this become serious business?
"Silence! I'm throwin' frisbees in a park!"
This is, as always, just my opinion.

I've used earbuds almost every time I've played golf for nearly a year. First I used some Sony's, now I have some Klipsch. I rarely have any problems with them being pulled out, and honestly I have trouble playing without them. I'm so used to being able to drown out all the distractions of the course, when I play without music I'm so much more easily distracted.

How is that every critical thread on here turns into some guy telling everyone else to use illegal drugs? Just sayin....

But with that, it's pretty inconsiderate. If the 100-person quincenara in the middle of the park can keep the noise down, so can everyone else.

I do, indeed, have a problem ignoring various distractions. I'll admit that without question. I wear earbuds specifically to help me with that.

I also have had people playing with me that ignored my request and played music out of speakers anyways. I didn't freak out, just had to concentrate harder. There's really not much in life to get upset about. DG is definitely not in that category.
I try to enjoy myself every time I go play and try to make everyone elses' time enjoyable as well.
It...is...just...a...game.

As for earbuds that are painful or fall out...
My wife has the same problem with earbuds being painful, so i know that there is something to that. I do not have a sloution for that issue. Others have offered some complling possibilities.
For the earbuds that fall out, my suggestion is to get a good pair ($30-50) of inner-ear earbuds. They take some getting used to, but they will give you some good sound for your effort.

It's all good.

For those who can't find decent earbuds to keep in while playing here is what I use. Not expensive, holds enough mp3s, and don't need to take them out. Just keep your head on a swivel so you don't get hit with a disc.

Sony-Walkman-Earbud-MP3.png

I appreciate the suggestion. I have not tried something like that yet.

As for earbuds that are painful or fall out...
My wife has the same problem with earbuds being painful, so i know that there is something to that. I do not have a sloution for that issue. Others have offered some complling possibilities.
For the earbuds that fall out, my suggestion is to get a good pair ($30-50) of inner-ear earbuds. They take some getting used to, but they will give you some good sound for your effort.
I have tried several different pairs, inner ear and otherwise. I believe I am at the point where I would need to borrow some for a round or 2 on a test drive basis before making a purchase.

My equivalent list to music on the course:

- The guy next door bamming on his drumkit at 9:00pm every night with no rhythm

- The wannabe ghetto kid playing dubstep as loud as he can in his car with windows rolled down

- The couple that wants to chat back and forth in a movie theater

- The guy going out to a public park trying to learn to play the saxophone

- Any person revving their motorcycle through a neighborhood

Its a turn of phrase employing the use of a regularly demonized activity to illustrate that there are even more corrupt behaviours being touted. I'm proposing that the disgust displayed by some (even my own) is overblown and misdirected.
So perhaps "take a pill" would be better?
Or shut up and throw .
Either way.

I appreciate the suggestion. I have not tried something like that yet.

I have tried several different pairs, inner ear and otherwise. I believe I am at the point where I would need to borrow some for a round or 2 on a test drive basis before making a purchase.

I like having all the controls right there at the touch of a button by my ear. That is an old model in the pic the new ones are more ergonomic and smaller. I think I picked up a 2gb or 4gb one for about fifty bucks at Staples. Then I don't have to worry about using my phone or some other mp3 player that is tethered by a corded set of earbuds. If I had a good bluetooth headset I would use that and be wireless but those are costly and again you run down your battery and have to use your phone. I like the earbud and player built in to one headpiece design like this. They stay put and are fairly water resistant. If you just want a new set of buds I would try a midline model from Skullcandy. They are about twenty bucks and come with three sets of various size ear pieces to custom fit.

And, a parting thought to make me less popular than my previous post did: If ambient sound from across a field distracts you, perhaps your inner calm and focus aren't where they need to be. Quell the anger inside. If making the perfect throw is your goal, then focus on making the perfect shot. Ignore the rest of it. Sledgehammers and justifiable homicide? Maybe more of us need to smoke a joint once in a while. Jesus wept.

wav.gif

That post just made you more popular! :clap::clap::clap:

Don't worry about the grumpy old men that have been posting in this thread. Sooner rather than later, they will be too old to throw a disc more than 10' anyways. ;)

If you have a smartphone just put your tunes on it and get a good bloot Bluetooth headset that can stream music. That's what I use. I can listen to my tunes but still have one ear free. Lets me focus on the music just enough to ignore distractions but doesn't totally cut me off from important outside.sounds, usually the wife yelling DUCK when her throw goes bad, lol.