• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

Lower weights would be nice, I've been trying to think of something negative to say about the disc, but I haven't come up with much. I think like the lat64 disillusionment thread, the glide could be a negative to some people, it's surprisingly floaty. But like my river, it's just something to adjust to for me. It still needs to pass the long term test, but based on initial throws I've never been so happy with a disc out of the box.

From what I've heard from my friends and people on here, the only negative thoughts about it is that it isn't produced in lower weights yet.

For me - It took a lot of speed to fly real straight (not a ton of throws yet though), and had a much higher stability than I expected at the lower speeds. Its probably an archer not the arrow thing though until I get more work in with it.

Axis vs. Buzzz SS?

The Buzzz SS is pretty darn stright, maybe just an ever so slight turn but it comes back. It seemed to take a bit to get it up to speed though. I was a little dissapointed in shorter shots and especially downhill shots where it faded out pretty quickly, especially if I got any air under it. Low shots are a necessity in the MA tighly wooded courses.

How would the Axis compare to the SS specifically? More/less stable (or same), better at powering down, ect. How is the grip, more Comet like or Buzzz like? Comets and I don't mix, the bead kills it.

If the SS powered down and handled downhill shots well it would be pretty close to perfect for me. I want to love it, but I don't see it kicking out a regular Z Buzzz or the Meteor and there is not really enough room inbetween for another disc. Could the Axis handle both slots?

Last edited:
If anyone is looking. It seems discgolfcenter.com has a few more 179 and 180s. I just ordered 2 more. I think these may be worth something someday.

One question for you previous MVP throwers. Does anyone play regularly on rocky courses like I do? I was concerned that the outer rim would get beaten too quickly, after 2 rounds of 9 there is already some noticeable scrapeage on the outer rim. I don't feel like it will negatively effect the flight, but am concerned that they may become uncomfortable after a while...
While I don't play on particularly rocky courses, the overmold plastic has been the most durable part of my IONs. It's really hard to even scratch it much, and only knife sharp metal edges have managed to take chunks out of it. As durable as the core plastic is (equal or better than any candy blend I've seen yet) the overmold has been way more durable.

For me - It took a lot of speed to fly real straight (not a ton of throws yet though), and had a much higher stability than I expected at the lower speeds. Its probably an archer not the arrow thing though until I get more work in with it.
Probably a spin thing. MVP's Gyro discs like spin a whole lot, but the gyroscopic design makes it also harder to get them spinning up (that's just physics, nothing you can do about that from a design stand-point). On the other hand they'll also hold on to that spin for much longer than most discs.

Axis vs. Buzzz SS?

The Buzzz SS is pretty darn stright, maybe just an ever so slight turn but it comes back. It seemed to take a bit to get it up to speed though. I was a little dissapointed in shorter shots and especially downhill shots where it faded out pretty quickly, especially if I got any air under it. Low shots are a necessity in the MA tighly wooded courses.

How would the Axis compare to the SS specifically? More/less stable (or same), better at powering down, ect. How is the grip, more Comet like or Buzzz like? Comets and I don't mix, the bead kills it.

If the SS powered down and handled downhill shots well it would be pretty close to perfect for me. I want to love it, but I don't see it kicking out a regular Z Buzzz or the Meteor and there is not really enough room inbetween for another disc. Could the Axis handle both slots?

The Axis seems to do rather well on lower lines, which is something I really like about Buzzzs and Buzzz SSs. I'm in your boat...playing alot of tighter wooded fairways, where drivers would tend to fade off the fairway, so the Buzzz allows lower, faster shots, and good distance to boot.

The Axis is more stable than the Buzzz SS, IMO. To me, the SS is understable. It turned out of the box at 275-300 ft drives, but that's what I wanted...I used the SS alot for those 250 range shots and found it very straight. As I've beat in the SS, it is definately a turnover disc and really doesn't fade back at all now.

The feel of the Axis is alot like a Roc, so it probably will feel a bit like a Comet. The Buzzz always felt very comfortable to me, even when I threw Rocs. I've noticed that the rim thickness of the Axis is a bit thinner than the Buzzz, but there is a slant to the inside of the rim, like is found on the Buzzz.

My take is this...it will take some time to get used to the feel of a thinner rimmed "beaded" disc again, but the versatility of it will be worth it, I think. I will most likely put the Axis and Vector in my bag, pull out the Buzzzs (except for a beat up X Buzzz or maybe the SS) as a bigger turnover disc and leave it that way for a few months. The best way to learn a disc is to force yourself to use it...alot...and not go back to "old reliable" I do this best by only carrying the new one.

Axis vs. Buzzz SS?

The Axis, though perhaps similar to the SS in a very general way, is pretty fundamentally different by design. It has a slightly concave wing rather than a straight/nearly convex wing like the SS. It also has a bead and the gyroscopic weight distribution. These differences translate into nuances in flight.

The bead stabilizes the disc at high speeds as well as helping it glide straight at slow speeds. Gram for gram I feel like the Axis does both these things better than the Buzzz and SS. This should help it on elevated shots. It flies low great and does not fade early if you control the nose of your shot.

The feel is much closer to a Buzzz than anything else I can thing of. The bead is there, but you don't feel it in the hand too much like you can on a Roc or even the Vector.

I received my Axis yesterday. It's a pink 179g. The first thing I noticed was that it looked pretty domey. I don't have a very good eye for this type of things so I compared it to my vector and the axis does have a larger dome. Is that normal or did I get one of the domey ones? If it is a deviation from the norm how would this effect the flight. I threw it a bit yesterday but not enough to get a good judgement.

It's already been noted that some of the first run pinks came out a little bit more domey than the others.

My pink/red/magenta production Vector has a very slight dome to it. My green Axis is dead flat. My green Med Ion is slightly concave. But I will say that these variations are all very slight.

Yeah, I remember reading that. Unfortunately, I ordered mine before seeing that post.

I received my Axis yesterday. It's a pink 179g. The first thing I noticed was that it looked pretty domey. I don't have a very good eye for this type of things so I compared it to my vector and the axis does have a larger dome. Is that normal or did I get one of the domey ones? If it is a deviation from the norm how would this effect the flight. I threw it a bit yesterday but not enough to get a good judgement.

I ordered a pink as well and haven't received it yet...but i asked the same question. what cmrichar said was that the more dome they have, the more LSS they noticed..but it was very slight

Don't worry...those special slightly domey ones will suddenly become the most coveted disc in the sport and you'll be able to sell them for $100 in the Marketplace. ;)

my red has a slight dome and on my first throws it was slightly more OS than i thought it would be. so are most of the first runs dead flat or what? i thought they all had a slight dome.

If anyone is looking. It seems discgolfcenter.com has a few more 179 and 180s. I just ordered 2 more. I think these may be worth something someday.

Alpine Ski Center just got a shipment in of Axes and the newer Ions if you ever want to drive that way and check them out.

Latest posts