• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might like the insanity more vs inertia. Sorry no help here on lighter weight MVPs but sold many to users on this site should find some trades.

Yup, I agree whole heartedly. Will have to try to find some one to trade these bad boys in for lighter versions!

You and I are in a similar category vis-a-vis distance and speed in our disc throwing. Don't give up on the Inertia. With all MVP discs, one needs *snap* to get them really spinning, but once you get that, MVP discs are awesome. Watch some videos on getting spin and snap (this is more a form thing than a power thing).

Also, the Inertia will eventually wear in, and if yours is like mine, it'll start working better for you as mine did for me. Mine is still relatively overstable compared to the Impulse and Wave, but it performs.

The Wave is IMHO God's gift to noodle-armed disc golfers. When I throw any of my Waves (153g, 163g, 173g), I get significant improvement in distance over other discs in the Speed 12+ category. I actually think the Wave could be classified as a Speed 13 disc, such is its flight. Starlight and Blizzard Bosses have nothing on the Wave, and the Wave is so much easier to throw.

I cannot say enough good things about the Wave (though I'm trying). MVP hit the grand slam home run with this disc, IMHO.

Last edited:
You and I are in a similar category vis-a-vis distance and speed in our disc throwing. Don't give up on the Inertia. With all MVP discs, one needs *snap* to get them really spinning, but once you get that, MVP discs are awesome. Watch some videos on getting spin and snap (this is more a form thing than a power thing).

Also, the Inertia will eventually wear in, and if yours is like mine, it'll start working better for you as mine did for me. Mine is still relatively overstable compared to the Impulse and Wave, but it performs.

The Wave is IMHO God's gift to noodle-armed disc golfers. When I throw any of my Waves (153g, 163g, 173g), I get significant improvement in distance over other discs in the Speed 12+ category. I actually think the Wave could be classified as a Speed 13 disc, such is its flight. Starlight and Blizzard Bosses have nothing on the Wave, and the Wave is so much easier to throw.

I cannot say enough good things about the Wave (though I'm trying). MVP hit the grand slam home run with this disc, IMHO.

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep her in the bag until I get better form and more snap. My question for you is then, when do you use the Inertia over the Waves?

Maybe I missed it, but have you thrown them side by side with Terns? I have put off getting any Waves because of how good my Terns are working now.

Have you tried an orbital? You might love that disc even at max weight.

Its almost trickshot understable for me but so much fun to throw. Ive wanted a disc like this from MVP for a long time where it will actually roll from a flat release and not need anny. Wave was touchier for me in that powered up and it was orbital esq but powered down and it was like s light fission photon. You KNOW orbital is turning so can just hyzer it everytime and throw.

Have you tried an orbital? You might love that disc even at max weight.

Its almost trickshot understable for me but so much fun to throw. Ive wanted a disc like this from MVP for a long time where it will actually roll from a flat release and not need anny. Wave was touchier for me in that powered up and it was orbital esq but powered down and it was like s light fission photon. You KNOW orbital is turning so can just hyzer it everytime and throw.

Sounds like my 146g beat in Diamond :D:D

Maybe I missed it, but have you thrown them side by side with Terns? I have put off getting any Waves because of how good my Terns are working now.

My 176 Wave isn't all that different from a Champ Tern with some season on it. As they drop into the say mid 160s or so, they start getting closer to Star Tern territory, IMO.

So, I'd say offhand that no Wave will ever be quite as stable/OS as the stablest Champ Tern, and the 167 I gave to my buddy wasn't as full-on flippy as a Star Tern with some throws on it, but it was in that kind of ball park.

Last edited:
Id agree toro. Champs can be pretty HSS when new.

Yeah sometimes they almost just won't flip right away. My max wt Wave totally reminds me of what I consider a "sweet spot" Ch Tern, pretty predictable/dependable drift/turn when totally mashed on, only gets squirrelly in higher wind situations.

The big difference is the Wave, being pretty new still, fades a bit harder than a seasoned Ch Tern, but not a ton.

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep her in the bag until I get better form and more snap. My question for you is then, when do you use the Inertia over the Waves?

I save the Wave for wide open and or max distance throws. I find the inertia to be more controlable and accurate. But that could be that I am more used to it than the Wave.

Yes. My 162g Star Tern was my go-to distance driver in my early going. I also have an Echostar Tern, 158g, which is a cool disc. But they are no match for the Wave, at least for me.

If they're working for you, just stay with them. No rush to pick up a Wave, just do so when you come across one. But IMHO you *will* like the Wave when you pick one up.

Here's one example. My home course has a downhill shot that is open, then has a line of trees, then another open space, then the basket is tucked into the treeline. A lot of crap stuff to the right of the fairway, the next hole's fairway to the left of the fairway.

I throw the Inertia on an anny flex for a helix shot. It's just the right length (for me) that when it turns over and fades back, it's right at the point of those trees, and if it works through them I'm in great shape in that second open area. If it hits the trees, I've got a longer but clear shot. If I miss on the angle and it doesn't turn but instead fades out, it's not too bad a shot from the left, provided it does not get lost in the high weeds between the fairways.

If I throw the Wave there, the chance of of it sailing way right or way left and losing it outweighs the extra distance I might get from using it. So the Inertia is a bit more controllable in that situation.

Then you haven't thrown the Orbital.

to be honest, after reading all the comments on these and other boards, I'm a bit scared to try the Orbital, even in max weight. I still remember the first time I threw my 153g Wave and watched it make a right turn (RHBH) that even my Mamba did not grace me with.

There may come a time in the future that I'll try a 170g+ wt. Orbital if I come across one, but with my Waves doing so well for me, there's no rush for me. I'm not trying to discourage others from buying the Orbital. I *am* encouraging people to think about the Wave. :)

Orbital profile reminded me of the Unlace which I could never keep in the air. I cannot throw hard with lots of hyzer.

If you dont like hyzer flips its not a good disc for you.

Orbital is somewhat more managable vs unlace i threw. I think it had a lot to do with the gyro effect even my buddy yesterday kept commenting on how it just turns and turns but doesnt fall over easily with hyzer and will finish so straight it goes far with very little effort.

I'm not trying to discourage others from buying the Orbital. I *am* encouraging people to think about the Wave. :)

I would encourage others to buy the Wave as well, especially if you throw in the 300-400 range and want an easy hyzer flipper, or longer turnover disc. If you're like me and are more maxing out at 300-315, then the Wave is straighter and won't be as easy to flip. At my range it even holds hyzers well. B

But true noodles are not able to throw 300', and that's the sweet spot for the Orbital. It can still be understable for you, and super easy to throw even at 250'. Heck, you can throw it on turnover lines at 200'.

I would highly recommend you pick up a max weight Orbital. Throwing MVP has never been more fun.

Hell i didnt even want to throw an orbital and kind of have a weird crush on it. It just goes so damn far without trying hard at my power its crazy. Ive thrown blizzard katanas and air d4s etc but they dont fly like this thing does at all so much more squirlly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts