• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get all this Ion worship. If I can't throw a Voodoo, Wiz....

7RVdN4w.jpg

I played in an Ice Bowl tournament over the weekend and I was impressed to see how many people were throwing MVP and Axiom. Everybody who plays with me like to call me an MVP fan boy. I've even caught people hiding an MVP disc from me in their bag just because they didn't want to admit the awesomeness of the gyro.

I saw a young kid who's whole bag was MVP and it seemed like everyone I ran into had a couple of molds in their bag. I got asked twice to allow someone to feel up my Atom baseline putters. One guy had 3 Craves in his bag. The molds I saw the most of were the Ion, Anode, and Crave by far.

MVP seems to be really catching on here in NC.

I used to throw anything and eeevverything including several MVP discs, but as I've cared about discs less and less I steadily chose Discraft offerings as my clear favorite and strangely I have no want or need for any other discs. However recently MVP alone has caught my attention again.

After buying and trying many of their offering MVP used to appeal to me very little for a few reasons: no baseline plastic, the rounded inner rim on putters, vertically narrow inner rims on discs like the volt, definitely not enough selection to choose from, and (ever still!) the glacially sloooow release of faster discs. However they have really branched out lately and have become the only other manufacturer to interest me, though slightly still.

In my experience their denser overmolds create so infinitesimally little difference in flight that it's laughable, but I really like that they set themselves apart with extremely unique branding and looks that appeal to me a lot. I like their proton and electron plastic and their huge new two brand lineup soon offering up to wraith speed discs (my god so 9 years ago!!!)...and I eagerly await their boss speed discs. This summer if I buy any discs besides Discraft replacements, it will be a new bag of Axiom and MVP discs from putters to fairway drivers...with nukes to supplement.

The only other thing I don't like about MVP is the many strange people on this forum who feel they have to defend their..."revolutionary" technology and assert their....fervent love of them all of the time instead of just throwing them better than everyone else!

Last edited:
I don't get all this Ion worship. If I can't throw a Voodoo, Wizard, Challenger, etc as well as an Ion, there's something wrong.

There are a ton of good putters out there with normal rim configurations, including the newer MVP and Axiom putters...which I will take over an Ion or Anode any day.

I actually consider them defective in design. Both Ion and Anode should go OOP with these new putters being released.

I used to throw anything and eeevverything including several MVP discs, but as I've cared about discs less and less I steadily chose Discraft offerings as my clear favorite and strangely I have no want or need for any other discs. However recently MVP alone has caught my attention again.

After buying and trying many of their offering MVP used to appeal to me very little for a few reasons: no baseline plastic, the rounded inner rim on putters, vertically narrow inner rims on discs like the volt, definitely not enough selection to choose from, and (ever still!) the glacially sloooow release of faster discs. However they have really branched out lately and have become the only other manufacturer to interest me, though slightly still.

In my experience their denser overmolds create so infinitesimally little difference in flight that it's laughable, but I really like that they set themselves apart with extremely unique branding and looks that appeal to me a lot. I like their proton and electron plastic and their huge new two brand lineup soon offering up to wraith speed discs (my god so 9 years ago!!!)...and I eagerly await their boss speed discs. This summer if I buy any discs besides Discraft replacements, it will be a new bag of Axiom and MVP discs from putters to fairway drivers...with nukes to supplement.

The only other thing I don't like about MVP is the many strange people on this forum who feel they have to defend their..."revolutionary" technology and assert their....fervent love of them all of the time instead of just throwing them better than everyone else!

I think there's a little more to Gyro than that. Like you, I've thrown almost everything over the years and what I definitely experience when throwing MVP is the noticeably tighter lines and also being less upset by the wind. It's not huge, but it's enough to enhance control and accuracy.

As for Discraft, I've been coming back to Discraft too lately. I added the Buzz and Wasp back into my bag after flirting with the Tangent and Tensor for awhile.

I actually consider them defective in design. Both Ion and Anode should go OOP with these new putters being released.

I like their new putters too, especially the Proxy. And I'm sure it will be the same for me with the Atom.

Got an order in today. I impulse bought one of the metal minis. This thing is pretty nice. Got some heft and full on driver configuration, could be lethal in the right hands.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 30
was just thinking about the fact that there are 8 unique MVP/Axiom molds which have already been announced in 2015. Pretty crazy given we don't know what else is planned for the rest of 2015..

Last edited:
I'm surprised by how fast Plasma ions happened (from announcement to release) whereas the axiom DDs were announced pretty long ago, and haven't even had a release date set at this point.

I'm surprised by how fast Plasma ions happened (from announcement to release) whereas the axiom DDs were announced pretty long ago, and haven't even had a release date set at this point.

I agree about Axiom's drivers. It does seem to be taking a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts