• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see that my 143 and 155 fission are pretty workable beefy but good front end flight I essentially try to turn it with a 20 degree anny and it flies real straight and far before hooking up late... I can also power it into a headwind with a 20 degree hyzer and it flies dead straight then hooks in. That's where weight vs wind gets to be a tight mental equation. Now that I think about it my Wave has similar throwability to the Photon Fission and it's 13g heavier and fresher.

I really don't like throwing anny, which somewhat limits the usefulness of truly overstable discs for me. Would much rather throw something flippy on a deep hyzer than throw something OS on an anny.

A Fission Photon that flies like a slightly more beefy Wave sounds perfect :thmbup: Hope the next run molds up that way.

Thanks for the history, I had no idea that Fission varies so much between runs. I'll keep my eyes open for anoth Fission Photon run but, if not, I've got plenty of other distance drivers that fly the line of a less overstable Photon. I just really prefer the feel of the 21.5 class gyros so I keep trying to find something to fill that gap.

a trace fills the gap between a wave and photon. or at least it has for me.

I throw only traces as my main distance driver (I have lots to choose from in terms of what I need it to do. weights, dome, plh, mf, plastics...etc). usually use fairways or mids off the tee. sometimes an envy or proxy. everyone is different with their approach to the game. this is my approach to tackling 330-400ft holes.

a trace fills the gap between a wave and photon. or at least it has for me.

I throw only traces as my main distance driver (I have lots to choose from in terms of what I need it to do. weights, dome, plh, mf, plastics...etc). usually use fairways or mids off the tee. sometimes an envy or proxy. everyone is different with their approach to the game. this is my approach to tackling 330-400ft holes.

I had asked about the Trace earlier, but the general consensus was that the handfeel is way different than the Axiom/MVP 21.5mm drivers. That was a turnoff to me. Since I've already got a couple Trespasses that fly at that stability (but obviously with a way different handfeel), I'm really looking for something that will feel like my Photon/Defy/Wave(s)/Vanish but fly like a Trespass. Hence the endless search for a ridiculously beefy Wave or a flippy Photon.

Sigh. One of the main selling points, for me, is MVP had the best 150 class discs. I don't throw drivers, fairway or distance, in heavy weights.

To me, a max weight fairway is about 168. Other than a roller disc, max weight on a distance driver is 164.

I get my distance with clean form, not power. This heavy Fission is useless to me.

I thumbed through the discs at the pharmacy and I managed to find a 162 resistor, purple neutron.... sold. I haven't been able to impulse shop for years out here there's never anything I want to throw. My Mike C 173 will stay as a wall hanger without the temptation to throw it.

I'm still dabbling with my overstable but not ridiculous slot kinda hoping to match my 160 FB pro which is a champ FL I hear

How's it going to measure up?

Still haven't found anything that compares to my neutron relay, looks like MVP is going to continue to stay in my bag. Wish they made the relay in more plastics or maybe with a special stamp some time.

DGR proton Ions in the what's this worth thread... I know a few of you guys like those old protons and he has 1 soft 1 regular.

Oooo that looks cold!

Ehh… that's a little chilly and he probably didn't even mind since he got his baby back. This vid is a guy I've been watching on YT for a year or so. He was filming a fishing vid last week and... well lets just say he is probably one of the unluckiest and luckiest people ever, all in the span of 20min...

That's cold...

It was cold but I was only in there about 2 minutes. There was a whirlpool happening right there and my disc was bobbing around in there and finally got close enough for me to snag. Once I dried my feet it was like it never happened.

What was even colder was the fact it was a birdie putt rollaway. I can still hear the donk in my mind.

Just here to say Gyro is REAL. Im building an all mvp bag. Got my first throws in today with the new plastic. Thoughts:

173g Neutron Catalyst: great out the box. Farthest disc i have ever thrown fresh out the box. Got putts on holes i couldnt reach for years. 50ft extra distance over my Cranks. Wont make the bag,as i can see these being too flippy too quickly.

172g N Octane: This is a great feeling distance driver. I can see this beating into a workhorse bomber. It had 30ft distance on my used prime Esp Cranks consistently. Will make the bag in various plastics and weights.

Eclipse Volt 173g: Sooo straight. I felt this disc did one thing. It flies dead straight to about 340ft then has a calm fade to the ground. It just wants to go straight. It wont make the bag. I want something with the same flight but faster. Speed 10 volt anyone?

Eclipse Vector 174g: this flew just like my new Z Wasp. Has a good useable overstable flight. Will replace the wasp no problem. Wont skip a beat...in the bag

Ion electron 174: wow , mvp has come a long ways. I bought one of the first Ions as a curious catch disc. Played catch a few times then gave it away. Anyway, i love this plastic. It feels great. Love the low profile compared to my wizards. Great approach disc and putter...in the bag.. Money

This is how im hoping to finish the bag.

Force: idk. I need something for flex forehand distance and backhand distance when windy. With similar rim width. Suggestions?

Vulture= idk trying the Tesla next. Suggestions?

Mantis: have a Relay coming but from what i hear it may be too understable. Will try an AMP.

Buzzz: Matrix. Have one on the way. Hope they line up

Last edited:
For the Force, take a look at the Nitro and Phase. I like the Phase better, as the tops are very flat and they flex well to me. Very much like an old Star Xcaliber or one of those rare flat ESP Forces. Nitro has some dome but flies most like a Force out of the box.

Done sleep on the Plasma Crave as a Mantis replacement. It's a lot like a TL and I've heard a Mantis compared to a TL. For me the have a hint of turn and a bit of fade but fly great in tunnels and low ceiling shots. Really nice disc.

threw my beat plaz ion on a tommy over a big ass bush that was at least 15 feet tall and i was about 30 out and stuck it

also had about a 150ft throw in with my beat plaz ion for my first 2 ever on this 500ft hole (this was cooler than half the aces ive gotten)

I
threw my beat plaz ion on a tommy over a big ass bush that was at least 15 feet tall and i was about 30 out and stuck it

also had about a 150ft throw in with my beat plaz ion for my first 2 ever on this 500ft hole (this was cooler than half the aces ive gotten)

giphy.gif

You're #1

Don't sleep on the Plasma Crave as a Mantis replacement. It's a lot like a TL and I've heard a Mantis compared to a TL. For me the have a hint of turn and a bit of fade but fly great in tunnels and low ceiling shots. Really nice disc.

Yes the Crave is pretty sweet ... I don't think the Amp will work as a lower speed more stable driver it powers down horribly... given that you threw an eclipse Volt dead straight.. I think I would say get an Inertia you will have the Relay extra distance version and the Amp would be redundant if you are throwing that Volt straight.

I think if I was you and I had plastic fever and discounted a Relay before throwing it I would eyeball an Inertia and a Resistor... the Crave will be kinda in between.

I'm surprised the volt didn't work out

(Disclaimer: I haven't really thrown a Resistor more than 5 times but molds of note)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.