• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are y'all seeing Hexes in your shops with new stock?

I believe I saw some hexes but they could've been old stock from a couple months ago. They definitely had a fresh order of paradoxes.

I love fondling plastic but seriously my local shops mvp restock was probably 300+ discs. Couple months ago they added an additional front and back rack for more plastic and it's full with all the new gyro stuff sitting in vertical stacks in front of the new rack.

Went in there twice looking to buy some plastic and it was just an overwhelming amount to set aside molds in the plastics, colors and weights you might wanna snag. I'd easily need close to 2 hours to go through the stash thoroughly.

Any ideas on a substitute for an Axiom Proton Inspire? Ideally still in proton plastic if possible... Didn't really check until this week and found out that it's out of production. Got mine when I first played a few years ago, and hadn't given it further thought until I really got back into things a couple years ago.

It kinda fits between my Neutron Crave (more overstable) and Neutron Servo (more understable). Although my Crave seems to fly more overstable when most people talk about it? I find my Inspire handles a lot without turning over and at the same time holds longer anny lines without much difficulty. Especially for a lightish disc (158).

It is fairly used at this point and older, so this may be colouring my expectations on a replacement.

Any ideas on a substitute for an Axiom Proton Inspire? Ideally still in proton plastic if possible... Didn't really check until this week and found out that it's out of production. Got mine when I first played a few years ago, and hadn't given it further thought until I really got back into things a couple years ago.

It kinda fits between my Neutron Crave (more overstable) and Neutron Servo (more understable). Although my Crave seems to fly more overstable when most people talk about it? I find my Inspire handles a lot without turning over and at the same time holds longer anny lines without much difficulty. Especially for a lightish disc (158).

It is fairly used at this point and older, so this may be colouring my expectations on a replacement.

So, back in the day, Craves were like a slightly less stable TeeBird, but MVP has retooled them and they are now closer to what an Inspire was. So a new Hokom Crave should actually be close to what your Inspire was. They aren't currently in stock in Proton, but honestly, Neutron and Proton are basically the same plastic, just transparent or not.

I've seen hex's too.. But I don't know what stock run. Seems to be a lot floating around.

I think out of all the new releases the wrath is the one I'm most intrigued with. For it supposedly being a broken in tesla you wouldn't guess that based on its shape. All the ones my shop had were pretty much board flat, looked kinda fireballish.

I did pick up a used bin low 170s proton tesla over the summer as well as a new upper 150's cosmic neutron tesla. The CN is a fun disc to throw, it'll go far on a good clean FH rip but if I'm having wrist roll issues that day it doesn't get thrown. The proton faded more than I was expecting but still manages to get pretty decent distance. In reality it's pretty similar flight wise to my newer run beefier proton and cosmic neutron volts, so I've been throwing the volts in that fd2 to pd type slot hoping to beat them in a bit and straighten them out.

I like the idea of a broken in Tesla but in reality I'm expecting these newer wraths to be fairly beefy to start. I wanna think most of the ones my shop had were upper 150's to mid 160's, I typically like drivers in the high 160's and will do low 170's depending on the disc.

Fireball/motion I'm not sure of. I bag firebirds and maxes, and my biggest concern about the fireball or motion is the nose shape…both are sharper noses than the fatboy blunt noses on the fb and max…which I think helps make them awesome FH roller discs. Local shop also had some of the new James Proctor metal flake maxes, which felt really nice.

I like the stability of the plasma insanities I picked up over the summer. Not flippy out of the box for me, thrown on a slight FH hyzer it'll ride a nice tight s line. Newer run neutrons seemed to have a lower parting line, so probably go that route instead of virus/impulse.

I know people complain the newer craves aren't as stable as the old ones. I like the flight of the newer ones, pretty much hyzerflip laserbeams, but not a ton different in flight from the heavier neutron relays I have. Anybody throw the new servos and compare to the newer craves? I know the resistors aren't as beefy as they used to be, didn't know what to expect from the servo.

Well let me know how the wrath works out.. It sounds like you are latching onto insanity and tesla. I'm not familiar with protons but you are playing with two good molds... try varying your weights and plastics. It sounds like a fission tesla might do you good. Apparently you like higher weight and broken in so maybe look for a 167 fission. They have a mellower flight than neutron. I could seriously fill a bag with teslas in the right plastics and weight, a lot of options within 1 mold.

Plasma tesla or the two I had were super OS beefcake, neutron was stable but very throwable, I like my SE cosmic 157's. Nice S flight very comparable to my 165 fission volt. The heavier 164 fission tesla I bag is beefy FH for me. Stretches more like a powered up volt (172 neutron FR). So huge overlap. A 150 tesla is kinda like a beat plaz insanity

Honestly right now I'm running the volt, it's winter, I'm outta step I could easily swap into the tesla again. Right now its Volt + insanity.

Anyhow consider a fission tesla in whatever weight and see what it does.. It is a broken in tesla.

You could also think about a cosmic neutron insanity. Beefier than plasma. Knock that in with a a low plh neutron and you've got a lot of gaps covered.

Last edited:
I am curious what others think from the recent interview Trevor from Foundation had with Steve Holloway:

https://youtu.be/DrEeLr4OJYA

I bag MVP/Axiom exclusively based on mold consistency, flights, and feel, but I keep losing respect for the organization/marketing of the company. They refuse to claim their discs fly further because they don't. To say they don't claim to be better because they are afraid of upsetting people is...silly. I also get frustrated with the division into multiple companies. They are up to what 5 now? MVP, Axiom, Streamline, ThoughtSpace, and Mint? I eventually found a community built unofficial flight chart tool for viewing 3 of them.

https://perldreamer.github.io/MVP-Flight-Chart/flight_chart.html?fbclid=IwAR14JxZ_uv0diavwt-vWvVXft3DZ8e_TzecHVPTHFqB75Elb8Z72hOihFeU

I still haven't heard a good reason to separate the discs into separate companies, across different websites that contain the information you want but no way easy way to compare them without multiple browser tabs open.

I also get frustrated with the division into multiple companies. They are up to what 5 now? MVP, Axiom, Streamline, ThoughtSpace, and Mint? I eventually found a community built unofficial flight chart tool for viewing 3 of them.

Thought Space and Mint are completely separate companies. MVP just molds their discs for them. Other than that, there's no ties.

I also get frustrated with the division into multiple companies. They are up to what 5 now? MVP, Axiom, Streamline, ThoughtSpace, and Mint? I eventually found a community built unofficial flight chart tool for viewing 3 of them.

Same frustration with Innova? Original Discmania, Millenium, Infinite off the top. I'm sure there are several others.

Separately, first live action with the Wrath today. I think it's going to be a good one. Definitely longer than the Servo and straighter than the Wave.

Same frustration with Innova? Original Discmania, Millenium, Infinite off the top. I'm sure there are several others.

I know nothing about running a business, so I should just accept that I don't understand the reasoning for multiple brands under the same company.

I just found it to be a pain to view all the info MVP/Axiom has in one place. Since I don't have a store that carries MVP/Axiom near me, I was trying to use their websites to view the disc profile illustrations to view shapes/beads. I got annoyed switching between sites.

I hope they merge their overmold companies, but I won't hold my breath.

Separately, first live action with the Wrath today. I think it's going to be a good one. Definitely longer than the Servo and straighter than the Wave.

When you say straighter, are you saying less turn and less fade? I feel like the Wrath is quite a bit more stable than the Wave. It's definitely straight, not squirrely, but has more fade, or at least, lands more left of center.

When you say straighter, are you saying less turn and less fade? I feel like the Wrath is quite a bit more stable than the Wave. It's definitely straight, not squirrely, but has more fade, or at least, lands more left of center.

Agreed– it feels almost like a longer Volt or Servo with a long, workably straight flight and a reliable fade. I remember the Wave being quite understable.

Unrelated, have there been any updates on the new stuff coming out (Beam, Rhythm, etc.)?

Agreed– it feels almost like a longer Volt or Servo with a long, workably straight flight and a reliable fade. I remember the Wave being quite understable.

Unrelated, have there been any updates on the new stuff coming out (Beam, Rhythm, etc.)?

No updates yet. Pretty sure James Conrad joining the team and subsequently winning Worlds threw a lot off. Sounds like his own designed Terra is going to push back release on those other molds even further.

But also, new releases tend to start closer to late Spring/Summer, because that's when most people buy new discs, so maybe we'll see a few this year.

Less turn, similar fade. Maybe a little stronger at the end, but some of that can be attributed to not having drifted right during the middle third of the flight.

It's going to be a killer FH disc, I think.

To your point, I did get a pretty strong skip on a flex this morning. Maybe that behavior's amplified if you ask for a little more lateral movement?

Generally agreed although the Wave seems to vary quite a bit between weights and plastics. Not in an unreliable way, more that it's more sensitive/tuned. My currently only Wave (it's not been a good couple of weeks) is among the more stable (within the continuum) ones: definitely some rightward movement but not inclined to go chasing squirrels.

I got some fieldwork in today. I don't throw the wave anymore because it was touchy. The wrath is a nice straight to fade speed 9. It got really good distance but still had a healthy amount of fade. My insanity's would fly a little further but require a lot more side to side room to get that distance.

I'm really growing to love my traces. Just a bit of turn but dead straight and a little fade.

The Hokom craves really are just fantastic. I've seen posts in here talking about how they used to be similar to the Teebird but aren't anymore…these craves seem every bit to me to be a beat in Teebird. I get a very small amount of turn and then dead straight to 300'-330' with some fade at the end.

The Hokom craves really are just fantastic. I've seen posts in here talking about how they used to be similar to the Teebird but aren't anymore…these craves seem every bit to me to be a beat in Teebird. I get a very small amount of turn and then dead straight to 300'-330' with some fade at the end.

For me, the old craves had a similar quality to a fresh premium plastic envy; being able to fly straighter the harder it's thrown. At 300-325, it was straight with no turn and a mellow, consistent fade. By 350 the fade was a bit sublter and later, and they could be pushed up to 400' without any REAL turn. They'd look like they were going to turn, and would drift a few feet (like, literally 2-3' off of center) over the high speed portion of the flight, and then fade back the same amount to end up dead center with essentially no lateral movement. It took me a flippy 12+ speed distance driver on a much wider line to get any significant distance increase over those craves since they would finish so straight.

I know nothing about running a business, so I should just accept that I don't understand the reasoning for multiple brands under the same company.

I just found it to be a pain to view all the info MVP/Axiom has in one place. Since I don't have a store that carries MVP/Axiom near me, I was trying to use their websites to view the disc profile illustrations to view shapes/beads. I got annoyed switching between sites.

I hope they merge their overmold companies, but I won't hold my breath.

Doesn't like going to multiple websites to gain information and then goes to a different website to complain about it….check.

Pro tip…if you open the website in different tabs you can just toggle between them and contrast and compare. The MVP and Axiom websites are easy to use especially if you go to the All Disc drop down menu.

I dunno I agree, it is a bit of a pain jostling back and forth... but I know the molds in my speed class so it's not a big deal. The click down menus on a phone is a pain in the butt. It would be kind of cool if they had a MVP/Axiom/streamline chart all in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.