• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played with my newly acquired Neutron Anode today, a one-disc 9-hole round at lunch. It flew great, but I really don't think I like the rim depth. I'm used to an Opto Pure, and I knew going in that the Anode would be deeper, but I didn't think it'd bother me as much. I'm planning on throwing some more after work to see if I gel with it more. I really liked the idea of an all-MVP lineup, but now I'm fairly skeptical I'd want to drive with their putters. Just personal preference....not a ding on the disc at all.

If you have the time to practice it is definitely worth it to learn to throw the deeper putters. Besides floating more and having a more forgiving stability(clean release), its also bound to help your form all-around.

Ion is even deeper and is my favorite disc. I agree with the post Above deeper rims fix your form issues. I can get an ion dead nuts straight on a low line 300'. It take a lot to get it there but man does it feel good to make those tight tunnel shots! Practice practice.

Ion is even deeper and is my favorite disc. I agree with the post Above deeper rims fix your form issues. I can get an ion dead nuts straight on a low line 300'. It take a lot to get it there but man does it feel good to make those tight tunnel shots! Practice practice.

Ion only FEELS deeper, they are actually both the same.

Made the same switch from pures to ion/anode combo and like others have said it was a good switch, just took time to get a good feeling for them but the flights are much more versatile than the pure and a LOT better approach/putting putters.

Give it time and practice-- the pure is more like a putter buzz/midrange than a real putter like discspeed said, these are much more workable but helped clean up any oat the pure could handle. Ion hates it'

Ion only FEELS deeper, they are actually both the same.

Yeah I throw them interchangeably really don't notice a difference in feel, ions just have a little more low speed fade. Anode drives are laser beamsssssssss.

^^ It still amazes me how the Axis locks into a line and just propels. Huge fan of the disc. I've been playing more with the mids than anything else. True workhorse. Can't wait for the Tangent!

Yeah, I'm trying not to get too excited about the Axis after just one round, but if it continues to fly the way it did today, it fits my definition of a work horse mid. My Ibex has just a touch more fade than I want (although it is still very workable). And I still cannot get over how far this thing flew... I was in between 275-310 with it and my comfortable mid max is usually 265-280. And this was with a minimized run up as I had poor footing in the snow all day.

And since the Vector was straighter than I expected, I could definitely see myself rocking the Axis/Vector combo. The Axis as my workhorse and the Vector to fly Axis-like lines into a headwind and for anything that needs a meaner finish. I've been planning on discing down soon anyways to work on pushing my putters and mids out further and really want to give these MVPs a good work out, so I might do a few weeks of just carrying the Ion, Vector, and Axis.

I'll definitely give the Anode more of an audition...thanks, guys!

On MVP mids, none of my local shops carry them, so I can't feel them up. Do they have the same sort of concave rim as the drivers? I hope that makes sense. I love the grip on the MVP drivers because it feels ever so slightly concave on the inside, so my fingers sort of lock in better than any other driver I've thrown. If the mids feature this as well, I'd definitely give a Tangent or Axis a shot to knock out my Core.

Yeah they do- core was my main mid along with a fuse and pain but the vector and axis are much better.. Vector is plenty OS for headwind (specially domey ones) but still workable on anhyzer lines etc.. Axis is just money-- much more controllable than a fuse or core which can turn rather unprediably compared to the softer/ more true lines of the axis. Its nice to have 2 mids do what 3/4 discs did before'

On MVP mids, none of my local shops carry them, so I can't feel them up. Do they have the same sort of concave rim as the drivers? I hope that makes sense. I love the grip on the MVP drivers because it feels ever so slightly concave on the inside, so my fingers sort of lock in better than any other driver I've thrown. If the mids feature this as well, I'd definitely give a Tangent or Axis a shot to knock out my Core.
You can see detailed diagrams of all the rims on MVP's site -- Tangent page

MVP putters feel more average-shallow to me than deep. My Wizard, banger, Aviar P&A, P2 psycho, and big bead aviar all feel deeper than my anode.

I'll definitely give the Anode more of an audition...thanks, guys!

You are talking about the rounded inner portion of the rim where the rim meets the flight plate right? I haven't noticed it on MVP mids but MVP putters have it for sure which makes them money for forehand putts.

I guess that's what gives me that sensation on my fingertips...the rounded portion of the rim where it meets the flight plate. For the drivers, it feels like it really wraps around my fingertips.

I was able to play some more with the Anode after work. It's straight as a damn arrow, this disc...a long-flying arrow. I'm still not sold on the deeper rim verses the Pure, but it doesn't seem to be impacting my throws. I'll keep throwing it for now.

I also got some time in with my Amp, Volt and FR Shock....very calm winds. I did see the differences more this time around. The Amp clearly has more turn on a flat release, but not a whole lot at all. I'd hoped it'd replace my champ Roadrunner, but that's not happening anytime soon. The Volt is friggin' laser-straight for me....and crazy long. I need to work with it more with hyzer angles to get the fade I want at the end. The FR Shock...I can see the turn with a beefier fade than the other two, but I don't really want that. I want straight with beefier fade. If I feel I want a backup for my Volt, I'll just get another Volt. I'll be sending it back in hopes MVP does a swap.

You guys do a pretty damn good job of selling discs for MVP...just so ya know!

:) glad to hear your thoughts on the discs! Amp will beat-in a little and get progressively easier turn, even my first volt is starting to get some more turn and also goes further than my new ones which seem to max around 370 where the lightly seasoned volts will hit 400+ from the same throw. Same with my FR vector, been playing since it came out and wow it is still OS but just flies so nice some of the longest lateral fading hyzers I have ever thrown with any disc, its UFO like lol...

Plus the putters don't really beat-in to become flippy like so many others I have used in every plastic' And my volts look mostly brand new even from some nice tree smashes so you don't have to cycle new ones in as often either. MVP #FTW!

I got more stable Volt (newer run) and I like it. If I could make a suggestion I would say make the Volt with a little more LSS. That's it.

So I acquired a Shock (first run), Volt, and Amp this winter and am set to break them out this week for the first time. I've read so damn much about them, and am excited to get out there. Based on their rankings/reading review and thoughts on them, this is my preconceived notions of them compared to some of my favorites from Lat64 that they may attempt to replace:

Amp = River
Volt = Vision
Shock = Striker

Of course this will all depend on arm strength, style, personal performance and what not -- but those are my expectations going into it. I throw those 3 Lat discs off of the tee most of the time (although am adding a Saint for the spring as well) and can't wait to see how they compare. I prefer understable drivers (as does my somewhat weak arm/form) so I'm excited to try all 3 out now that the snow is almost gone.

^^^I think you will be surprised.

But, I'm not going to say you are wrong, because only you have your arm, and throwing style.

Report back after you're done throwing them. I'm interested to see how they fly for you.

^^^I think you will be surprised.

But, I'm not going to say you are wrong, because only you have your arm, and throwing style.

Report back after you're done throwing them. I'm interested to see how they fly for you.
/agreed

I've only thrown a GL River of those Lat64 discs, but from what I know of them all, I'd be surprised if your MVP drivers matched your expectations at all.

I too heard all sorts of good things about MVP discs and so i bought a volt. I immediately didn't like the harder feel to the plastic and after about five throws the black plastic rim edge had huge chunks and gouges out of it. I didn't like how it flew either, it seemed to lack the glide i was anticipating. I gave it to my brother who was just starting to play but now i feel bad because i really think it won't help his game any but we all throw differently so you never know... Not trying to offend any MVP throwers but I simply dislike MVP discs. Just my two cents, which really ain't worth SH*T these days...

Feel or throw a soft Anode sometime if you get the chance before you totally make your mind up about MVP. That would be the first MVP disc I would recommend for just about anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.