• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well crap! Seems I've just had the bad luck of the draw. I know one thing for sure though, I won't be ordering anymore yellow MVP discs online anymore. Only if it's in a store and I know for sure it's yellow. I still think the banana/highlighter is a decent idea.

I feel like the various retailers should have a banana and a sharpie when sending out discs. If the disc looks like the banana, it's yellow, and if it looks like the sharpie, it's not yellow.

This made me laugh. Thanks!

Ok, so I've ordered two "yellow" Neutron MVP discs so far. I've also ordered an array of other colors including a couple "yellow/green". However, neither of my "yellow" MVP discs I've received were actually yellow. One of the yellow ones was actually the same color as the yellow/green color, and the other was extremely close to the yellow/green color. I'm not trying to be mean, but this is making me wonder how many colorblind people are handling our discs before sending them out. I feel like the various retailers should have a banana and a sharpie when sending out discs. If the disc looks like the banana, it's yellow, and if it looks like the sharpie, it's not yellow.

Also, have any of you actually received any true "yellow" colored Neutron MVP discs?
:) Despite the length, not even ranting in my post!
** non-rant guarantee! **
The whole ordeal of psychological color perception of frisbees was a really fun project for me a few years back.

Believe it or not, classifying discs as colors ain't so easy. Our site, at least, runs on a defined set of thirty-something colors for discs. The line between yellow, yellow-green, bright green, etc... those can be extremely subjective. MVP has two colors that are very similar, but to my eye (A+ in Color Theory!) they cannot both fall under the same color. The more lime-ish one falls under yellow-green, while another falls under green.

As to how we determine color, I built out a tool that shows the person working, for each "color", 25 example swatches. When I go help the receivers about a disc color call, they'll hold it up to their screen and say "It's closer to this swatch here, than any of the other color". Sometimes the right answer is perceptual, sometimes it's plastic context, could be a number of things.

That said, myself and the Tech VP are both super visually keen to this type of thing, and the current color definitions bug us to no end. Given the opportunity, we'll revamp it.

In the meantime, what I wanna do is (time allowing) grab a box full of discs that are say, Elite-Z "blue-green", and shoot that box, and have it linked on any product of that plastic with that color available. It gets tricky. Elite-X "red" is pink, like a warm salmon, not true cherry red... but hand it to someone, it's a red disc. Translucent "red" loses saturation and character. Yellow has an inherent brightness that makes its threshold for "light" much different than Blue. Etc etc etc.

Believe me, we've spent a lot of time trying to make Exact Color perfect. It's far from perfect now, but rest assured that at least somewhere in the world, two nerds are trying to improve Golf Disc Chromatology :)

15qu2bd.jpg

To give some perspective on color choices,

I can see where confusion can come in if these discs aren't all side by side at the retailer, the far left is more of a day glo where the middle is a true yellow and the far right is a bright green

Are people really mad if they get one of the three disc pictured above while expecting a yellow disc? I mean, especially the first and second from the left, it's freaking yellow. If someone is that picky on color, they should know by now that they have to purchase it in person.

That is why I just stick with the MVP Neutron Orange, always consistent and vibrant. Just something about the Orange/Black combo that appeals to me.:thmbup:

I'd be mad if I wanted the dayglo, and got the duller, darker yellow. The dayglo, and hot pink are my favorite MVP colors cause they pop so much, and they don't blend in with anything on the course.

I'd be mad if I wanted the dayglo, and got the duller, darker yellow. The dayglo, and hot pink are my favorite MVP colors cause they pop so much, and they don't blend in with anything on the course.
Yup -- I think special consideration / naming should be given for anything outside the natural spectrum... in other words all the neons that pop.

I try to train all the guys here to use the "bright-" variation for anything that's unnaturally saturated. Basically, nothing can make a color "bright-" except being blaze-loud saturated/neon.

MVP colors above...

I think they call them Lemon, Banana, and Lime, respectively...or maybe the first 2 are banana then lemon?

Anyways, it is a bit like a J Crew catalogue, lol

I like pink..MVP Discs...and I'm proud!

Honestly, I just have one criteria for color - can I see it hidden in that bush that is probably Poison Oak? Bright orange and yellow-green tend to be the best for the courses I play.

that dayglow color is yellow-green at Disc Nation

And I just received a lot of them today

We have a hell of a time sorting between yellow-green and bright green in Proton. Only way to tell with Proton is to look at where the overmold and flight plate meet, it is the darkest truest color spot.

I did noticed that the bright yellow got darker this time around for the N Amp. It was always more like the yellow on the far left in that picture. We would honestly list the "true yellow" as gold based on our color scale

My "yellow" volt and axis are both of the "highlighter" variety. Guess I lucked out with my online transactions.

Man you all are picky. I had to go out to my car and get my discs so I could look at my yellow Ion heh. I actually picked mine up in a store, but it was the one on top of the stack of Ions, so it wasn't the luck of online, but I didn't dig thru to compare. Mine was like the middle Ion, so pretty close to the yellow on their Tensor page.

When I ordered my Eraser Wizard, I did specify I would prefer it to be "as pink as a school box eraser" :) I figured if they had it, I may as well get it as close to my preference, but if they were out and it wasn't that shade, not the end of the world. Once I find out about a job I interviewed for, pat of my next order is going to be a trio of X Comets and it looks like all 3 will be Light Orange based on current stock that I'm seeing at various online retailers. I wonder how closely they will all match heh

How many is "several?" You can buy directly from MVP at a 32 disc minimum. It'll cost you roughly $10 per disc shipped, which ain't too shabby for some premium plastic. :thmbup:
great to know, thanks!
I need to find someone to go in 50/50 on this with me...

I'm planning a charity disc tournament and will be buying discs for most every entry. once I get budgeting finalized if I can go thru mvp I will let know know so you can get in on it possibly.

So with all this talk of midrange overlap, heres what i find to be working best for me.

Tensor for Overstable slot
Beat Vector for long straight to stable slot (because it flies like a fresh axis with more wind resistance)
Tangent for short straight to long understable midrange shots.

This covers my midrange bag... i feel terrible about letting my axis go so im going to keep one in the bag to make me feel better :)

I love my white Volt. But what a bad choice on my part for these awesome Michigan winters :)

I'm seriously debating just going all MVP at this point. It's taking over my bag. Dropped my buzzes for the vector, grabbed a tangent and pretty much the only driver seeing the air is my volt. Anode for putting though I'm starting to think I should grab the ion.

First tournament of the year is next Saturday, hopefully work allows me some practice.

I've gone all MVP and it feels great! I get a lot of people asking me about my discs.

"What kind of disc is that?!" Is the popular question, solely on their appearance. Then after I throw them, the people usually probably rush to go buy some.

Status
Not open for further replies.