• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I was wondering. I've seen videos where pros explain how more dome on a disc generally makes it more understable due to the increased air friction. However, on here, I've heard tons of people saying their domey MVP discs act more overstable. I know PLH makes a bigger difference than domeyness, but anyone have an idea about this contradiction in the disc golf community?

I had read something somewhere where it was stated that dome behaved differently for molds whose plh sat more than halfway up the profile of the disc. I think that flatness adds overstability in say, a firebird, because of the molds high plh. A wraith, however, seems to be more overstable when it is domey.

That being said, I suspect that the real answer is much more complicated.

It is all about PLH. Dome just helps determine how the wind affects it, under and over the dome.

true stability comes down to how high the wing is. Just look at the new Shocks. They didn't increase the dome, they raised the wing/PLH to make it more stable. I also know they purposely made the Tangents flat rather than domey. Not sure if this was for cosmetic reasons or if they believe it works best to keep the mold more neutral.

Its more valuable to an experienced thrower in my opinion because it goes on any line you put it on. So if you can't control the line your putting a disc on your not going to be able to control a neutral disc well

It's for this very reason I've ditched everything speed 8 and faster from my bag to start this year. And bought a Tangent based solely on the volume of quotes like this. I'm going to throw the thing until I can knock an apple off a stump with any line. Maybe I'll need a lot of Tangents...

K.

It is all about PLH. Dome just helps determine how the wind affects it, under and over the dome.

true stability comes down to how high the wing is. Just look at the new Shocks. They didn't increase the dome, they raised the wing/PLH to make it more stable. I also know they purposely made the Tangents flat rather than domey. Not sure if this was for cosmetic reasons or if they believe it works best to keep the mold more neutral.

Yup. All my shocks are flat as can be and plenty HSS.

So I've been field testing my MVP driver set the past few days and noticed this yesterday, whatever did it gashed through the overmold and core alike, it's hard to get a good picture of. There's an abandoned tennis court with some busted up sections at the park I practice at which I've had a few discs land on but I guess I just got unlucky with this one.

iPQP96d.jpg

Pt9wmmU.jpg

After reading most of the mvp threads here, I pulled the trigger on a neutron axis. After throwing it some I think it has definite potential even after a short time.

My axis is in neutron. I really like feel of the plastic. How would you compare the proton plastic? Grip? Does one plastic fly a little different? I ask because I have 0 pro shops close and buy online.

The proton axis has more turn. The neutron for me is very HSS but without significant LSS. The proton can be more of a line shaper where the neutron for me is just a line hitter. I prefer the speed and feel of the flat neutron. Neutron is also a tick faster IMO

My flat protons start with the tiniest bit of turn (-.25 or so), my domey protons have 0 hss. I like Neutrons grip better above freezing, below freezing I prefer proton.

I am considering a MVP putter to sample so an Ion or Anode from those who use MVP?

personally i like a beaded putter for putting purposes so i use an ion. I use an anode as my driving putter for the opposite reason. you cant really lose with either in my opinion though.

Both....if you like one over the other, you can sell the other in the market place.

personally i like a beaded putter for putting purposes so i use an ion. I use an anode as my driving putter for the opposite reason. you cant really lose with either in my opinion though.

This.

It will mostly be a feel thing. Ion is beaded and lower profile, Anode has no beed and feels deeper to me (though the cores are identicle.)

Ion will have a bit more stability.

They are both great molds. When it comes to putting the Ion wants to fade more as it slows down, while the Anode wants to finish straighter. Do you like going straight for the chains or letting the disc slow down and hyzer in?

When it comes to driving the Anode being more neutral lets it do dead straight shots better and hold an anhyzer release longer, while the Ion is easier to work with in headwinds and left to right crosswinds and can be more predictable with the fade.

If you check out www.youtube.com/thediscgolfvids I have a ton of footage of both being used for putts, drives and upshots. I'd recommend the Arboretum B pins video to check out Ions and the Anode Test video, or Soft Anode test video to watch them fly.

I am considering a MVP putter to sample so an Ion or Anode from those who use MVP?

I carry both myself and they cover a lot of shots. But from reading a few posts below you, seems I am the opposite of others. I like the Neutron Ion as my driving putter, and the Proton (Soft) Anode as my in the circle putter. Although I do use the Anode for approach shots that are dead straight ahead.

Big time fan of the MVP Putters. :thmbup:

I will say I like the Proton plastic a little better for putting. Neutron I definitely prefer for driving.

Also, just got in my retooled Shock and Tangent. My new Shock is amazing, definitely overstable. Somewhere between my Volt (straight flyer) and my Firebird, which is just what I needed. The Tangent however, seems to fly extremely similarly to my Axis. I only got to throw it a couple times, but am curious to see if it starts to turn more often.

I thought the anode and Ion used the same core but I just was looking at the PDGA approved list and it says the height of the anode is 1.9 and the height of the ion is 1.6. do they actually use different cores?

Status
Not open for further replies.