• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

Is there something special I need to do, to keep MVP discs from spitting out when they're cold? I had 10 or more putts spit out, dead center, moving directly into the pole today at a tournament. They've been grabbing fine the last couple weeks in warmer weather, but today was like... Frost cold. I've never seen discs spit out that often before. Is there something I can do about that?

As it has gotten colder, I have been putting with gummier plastics. The only MVP putter I am still using on the course is my Tempo, which is the opposite of gummy/soft, but flies true and feels great in the hand. I've been starting to mess with a bit more of an anhyser release on mid range putts too. It seems to slow them down a little.

I don't believe there's anything unique to MVP's plastics that would make them react differently to changes in temperature in comparison with other manufacturers. Not impossible but highly unlikely. But the more dynamic elements in the equation are another story. Externally, lower temps and humidity mean less air density and resistance during the flight. Internally and most importantly since this is what we can control, your subjective mental game and your objective muscle mechanics are both directly impacted. Whether you like playing in the cold more or less has a directional influence on the first, but either way, you're reacting to a new environment. Likewise, even and especially if everything feels the same at the surface, your body is exerting to maintain 98.6 in a different way. Your skin and pores are adapting to a different evaporative loss. Your muscles - like the plastic only more so - have a different elasticity.

All that to say, putting in the cold (or heat or humidity) is just different. If a different plastic helps you adjust, then by all means, but I think it'll be a filter for processing all the other, larger changes in the system.

Mandatory MVP content (and putter related!): still hunting for the Oregon Park 3 silver birdie, but I did clink a Tempo off the cage yesterday. Stressful couple weeks at work and it's probably taken 30 feet off my drive. So, funny that my best bid came from a less than ideal spot.

The Drift continues to earn a spot. Two parked drives yesterday on 11 over the creek. Really comfortable rim and a great starting point for anyone coming from a Discmania FD or similar.

The one cousin currently in the bag is a TSA Construct. Approached an unusually poor drive yesterday only to discover that in my distraction, I'd grabbed the Plasma Motion next door (bag organized by ascending speed and stability). The neutral 10 to meaty 9 transition isn't a gentle one.

And I do think I want to grab one of those Total Eclipse Proxies (or several). Something just looks right there.

I don't believe there's anything unique to MVP's plastics that would make them react differently to changes in temperature in comparison with other manufacturers. Not impossible but highly unlikely. But the more dynamic elements in the equation are another story. Externally, lower temps and humidity mean less air density and resistance during the flight. Internally and most importantly since this is what we can control, your subjective mental game and your objective muscle mechanics are both directly impacted. Whether you like playing in the cold more or less has a directional influence on the first, but either way, you're reacting to a new environment. Likewise, even and especially if everything feels the same at the surface, your body is exerting to maintain 98.6 in a different way. Your skin and pores are adapting to a different evaporative loss. Your muscles - like the plastic only more so - have a different elasticity.

All that to say, putting in the cold (or heat or humidity) is just different. If a different plastic helps you adjust, then by all means, but I think it'll be a filter for processing all the other, larger changes in the system.

Mandatory MVP content (and putter related!): still hunting for the Oregon Park 3 silver birdie, but I did clink a Tempo off the cage yesterday. Stressful couple weeks at work and it's probably taken 30 feet off my drive. So, funny that my best bid came from a less than ideal spot.

The Drift continues to earn a spot. Two parked drives yesterday on 11 over the creek. Really comfortable rim and a great starting point for anyone coming from a Discmania FD or similar.

The one cousin currently in the bag is a TSA Construct. Approached an unusually poor drive yesterday only to discover that in my distraction, I'd grabbed the Plasma Motion next door (bag organized by ascending speed and stability). The neutral 10 to meaty 9 transition isn't a gentle one.

And I do think I want to grab one of those Total Eclipse Proxies (or several). Something just looks right there.
I understand the externalities and their impact on disc golf. I've been playing through Michigan winters for 21 years, and contributed a lot of the content and thought work that built the foundations of obsessing over the sport on DGR. The reason I bothered to comment at all about it, was that it was SO weirdly consistent, and frequent, that it was unlike any other rounds I've played in the winter - and the only real difference is that it was the first time I've putted with overmolds in the cold.

I've thrown Aviar P&A, big bead brick Aviars, JK Aviars, Challengers in Pro D, old Soft, new Soft Swirl, Focuses in their original blend, APXs in Elite Pro, Soft, and Soft X, Fierces in Putter Blend and Soft, and all of them, even the big bead brick Aviar (which was a very waxy, stiff plastic) didn't CONSISTENTLY spit out like this. I kept hitting the chains, in line with the pole, with the direction of motion pushing directly towards the pole, and whether it was high, low, or dead center, it kept spitting out.

It was so bizarre that even my card mates were commenting on it, having seen me putt great with these same putters for weeks. That's why I was wondering if it was something about the plastic they use for the overmolds, or something. I've stuck these same putts, at this same course, a couple hundred times over the last few months.

Wow thanks super helpful
In the first post, you tied the change of performance to the change in environment. In the second post, you were absolutely certain, and that at length, that it's the putter and not the conditions. What else would you like me to do other than to endorse your making a change That you see as potentially viable?

I got one. It's almost too pretty to throw. Almost. Setting up a glow hole in my fields for the Thanksgiving weekend...

I got one. It's almost too pretty to throw. Almost. Setting up a glow hole in my fields for the Thanksgiving weekend...
I had one, it was nice looking, great glow... I sold it to offset my gyro box cost. I have an irrational dislike of proxys haha (hand feel). It was another one of those "what if i like it, that would be bad" scenarios. I haven't thrown my total eclipse envy yet because it's too pretty and I have been really liking the proto proton glow ones from the gyro box, the ones I have are almost soft. So sexy. In an auction right now to pick up a spare...

Coincidence or conspiracy? A cheap letion flashlight has the profile of a glow rim glitch built in, who did that haha.
2023-11-1917.06.407948438247097352318.jpg

Well I locked down another bright yellow 171 circuit rhythm and a prototype glow envy at 173g sounds like it's soft :D no one else was bidding, 25 bucks is a steal hee hee. Fools!!!! Looks like the disc market has dropped off considerably, going to be anxiously awaiting detours and full eclipse glitches from the gyro boxes.. should be a bunch of leftovers. I'm not buying into gyropalooza this time round. I do have some birthday money to blow haha.

Waiting on a few custom dyes, the guy can't do Scanlan Shorthalt with a big magical middle finger but if it works out it will be the Hemisphere Dancer (Jimmy Buffetts Grumman albatross) from the Margaritaville tequila logo on a fission rhythm and a Doc Brown with 1.21 giga's on a watt. Haha.

Gyropalooza was yesterday. Anyone get a box at their local disc shop?
Mine is in the mail. Will probably arrive Monday. Unfortunately I am away for another week so I will have to live vicariously through the rest of you until I get home and can open my box!
Pictures anyone? Mystery disc identities?

Opened my GYROpalooza box, and so pumped about the Eclipse Glitch and the Detour (which is in fact between a Hex and an Uplink!) As for the Mystery discs, highlights for me were the Pro Shop ones with a Fission Wave and a Night Watch Electron Envy. As for people posting and unboxing videos, they are pulling molds like Time Lapse, Eclipse Lift and the hot item seems to be the Fission Atom. Great value and fun stuff in the box for sure.

Bought two time lapses, orange and pink. Haven't thrown the orange yet. The pink one is not as os as a new calvin destroyer and does stand up to flat thrown hard with hyzer. Will probably beat in nicely. Hopefully the orange one flies similar.

Now they just need to make them in eclipse plastic...

The extras in my box were a old beaker stamped time lapse, red L2 glitch, all blue L2 total eclipse hex, 2021 mvp open Conrad plasma nomad, mvp pro shop stamped uplink (might be soft, can't exactly tell), and a swirly yellow/orange neutron Terra.

No way to really tell, but kinda thinking my time lapse may get be from the proto run given the older stamp. Definitely not as domey as all the stock ones I felt at the shop. Those were all gross. People online are trying to say only the protos are engraved time lapse underneath instead of time-lapse but there are pics of time-lapse engraved protos out there.

My detour was a gray blank. Some people got an extra L2 detour, I only had one and it was butt nekkid.

The extras in my box were a old beaker stamped time lapse, red L2 glitch, all blue L2 total eclipse hex, 2021 mvp open Conrad plasma nomad, mvp pro shop stamped uplink (might be soft, can't exactly tell), and a swirly yellow/orange neutron Terra.

No way to really tell, but kinda thinking my time lapse may get be from the proto run given the older stamp. Definitely not as domey as all the stock ones I felt at the shop. Those were all gross. People online are trying to say only the protos are engraved time lapse underneath instead of time-lapse but there are pics of time-lapse engraved protos out there.

My detour was a gray blank. Some people got an extra L2 detour, I only had one and it was butt nekkid.
Hmmmm I'd maybe contact MVP about that detour, you were supposed to get one with Michael Ramanauskas stamp on it. "Guaranteed "

Ended up grabbing a second box after earning a $25 reward from my local spot. Solid value for what I paid, but the unknowns in this one weren't quite as sweet.

Another L2 total eclipse hex purple core green rim, another L2 time lapse coral core with purple pink swirly rim, 166 L2 R2 ion, nice swirly blue L2 CN volt. MVP pro shop discs were a red electron nomad (think it's medium) with the various skulboy characters on it and a green 161 pro shop stamped fizzy wave.

Received a white detour with the actual SE stamp this time around. I probably will email mvp asking about the blank in the first box…not worried about a free replacement…I've had a few people wanting to buy it so I'd expect to get a decent amount for it. More or less looking to confirm if it was an honest mistake or an Easter egg.

I have heard whispers of but one seen one plasma looming Flares showing up as L2s in gyro boxes.

Has anyone seen these mythical beasts?

I was doing some field work yesterday and was throwing my understable discs....Uplink, Signal, and Paradox. Finally figured out how to get the Uplink and Signal to hyzer flip and, dang they went a long ways. I can now hyzer flip them both backhand and forehand. I finally got the Paradox to hyzer flip, but only on a forehand throw....I just cannot get it working with a backhand. On my forehand throw, if flat is 0 degrees, I have to release the Paradox on about a 75 degree hyzer. Anything less and it will roll. I just can't get it on that much hyzer throwing backhands (yet). I wish I could have had a video of my face when I figured out the hyzer flip thing and the Uplink and Signal FLEW.

I admit I'm an unsponsored MVP hype-man, but the Detour is legitimately exactly what it said it wanted to be and I love it.
I will need several more of these.

I'm looking forward to the Detour, should fill a missing slot in my bag. A few weeks ago Conrad was on Simon channel playing a round and Conrad threw it a few times. Nice glide and thought hmm.

Latest posts