• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP - Fission™ Microbubble Technology

I am not generating any hype. 100% experience along with information directly from the manufacturer.

For you, what was just OKAY about it vs just saying that and giving no info? That would be more helpful ;)

It's easy to buy into the hype that MVP and their fanbase generate. I'd caution foks new to MVP to just dip their toes in with one disc, the Fission Volt in particular, and see what it does for you. It may be fantastic or it might just be okay. For me, it was just okay.
I create this so-called hype for the company, and would also caution people to try a new brand with one disc. Who would just buy a bunch of stuff they didn't know if they'd like? Buy one thing, look for more like it if you want more. Hope I don't give anyone the impression otherwise by describing how a product should work for them based on power/skill level.

It's easy to buy into the hype that MVP and their fanbase generate. I'd caution foks new to MVP to just dip their toes in with one disc, the Fission Volt in particular, and see what it does for you. It may be fantastic or it might just be okay. For me, it was just okay.

</ public service announcement >

Dunipace said bubbles in the rim was the goal all along. Doesn't matter much to me, I don't throw any that stuff.

seems weird that Dave wouldn't consult the longest throwing players in the world though (both part of his team) and go with what they said about the discs as well as discs they are using... why not make discs exactly like the one which set the world record?

I call BS like a lot of what he seems to "say" ...

I hardly think trying one disc will dictate the rest of the lineup. An example, less than impressed with every Discraft disc I've ever owned, however I had a buzz for a few years and won't leave home without my Zone. I also dont like the Volts I've had, the axis didnt do anything my other mids couldnt do and they felt better in the hand, the ions are nice but theyre not wizards, but the Amp has been a staple in my bag until I lost it.

Imagine if people based their opinion of a brand off one disc? Imagine if the Groove was that one Innova disc?? :D

Last edited:
I create this so-called hype for the company, and would also caution people to try a new brand with one disc. Who would just buy a bunch of stuff they didn't know if they'd like? Buy one thing, look for more like it if you want more. Hope I don't give anyone the impression otherwise by describing how a product should work for them based on power/skill level.

You do fine. Stop being so self conscious all the time, haha.

By the way, I'm totally expecting the distance drivers to be able to hover on their own after seeing the teaser video.

seems weird that Dave wouldn't consult the longest throwing players in the world though (both part of his team) and go with what they said about the discs as well as discs they are using... why not make discs exactly like the one which set the world record?

I call BS like a lot of what he seems to "say" ...

The inconsistencies are due to the nature of the materials and molding variables. This happens much more with Blizzard than any other disc type. With Blizzard, it is very difficult to get consistent results from disc to disc coming out of the machine, let alone from batch to batch. Even the colors we use change the appearance of the Blizzard. I would like to say that we have mastered the Blizzard tech by now, but we haven't. We are doing our best and have purchased a new piece of equipment which we expect will help with this.

All this being said; whether there are bubbles in the flight plate or not, it doesn't affect the flight of the disc. A disc with only bubbles in the rim may be more or less stable or domier or flatter. All those characteristics vary independent of each other. You might try contacting Eric at the Innova Store and ask him for a specific type disc in a factory second.

-Dave Dunipace

https://discussion.pdga.com/discussion/archive/index.php/t-29785-p-52.html

Well I am sure glad MVP has figured out a way to do it effectively with their short time in the market place and YEARS less of disc molding experience.

Nice work, Dave! Also weird how the nova and atlas fly SO straight. . . .

I am going to make a Xmas card out of this picture and send it to all the innova employees for 2015.
11082668_905776936145849_3552130224305944139_n.jpg

Last edited:
I am not generating any hype. 100% experience along with information directly from the manufacturer.

For you, what was just OKAY about it vs just saying that and giving no info? That would be more helpful ;)
You are generating hype. That's not necessarily a negative thing. It's infectious and can make this sport more fun. It can also lead to a lot of failed experiments, which also isn't necessarily a negative thing.

Until about a month ago, I threw all Vibram, around 300-320ft power with a Trak and/or Ascent. I can get Laces out further, but with less reliability, so I don't really throw them anymore. I did a DD 2-disc challenge and found a 167g Lucid Escape to immediately my best distance driver. It has just enough turn to get extra distance I usually only got with my Laces, but with a really reliable flight path and fade....right out of the box.

After reading all of the talk about the Fission Volt, I picked one up at 156g to compare again my Lucid Escape. Given the flight numbers for both, they're very comparable with the Escape having a tick more speed. I found the Volt to be considerably more stable with no turn unless I turned it over myself with a bit of anny or OAT. It never went further that the Escape, often with more nose sensitivity with resulted in earlier fade and less distance.

I then got a 175g Neutron Insanity to test against the Lucid Escape and Fission Volt. It was considerably less stable than both. It would give me a bit more distance than the Escape, but with a far less reliable flight path/fade and was a good deal less predictable.

I felt both the Volt and Insanity that I tried were okay, and could fill a role in a given bag, just not mine. I wanted reliable, predictable distance and neither beat out the Escape for that for me.

I've never felt you were overzealous in your testimonials. I wouldn't blame you if you were. Plenty of people, however, buy a stack new disc X when the noise gets loud enough.

I hardly think trying one disc will dictate the rest of the lineup. An example, less than impressed with every Discraft disc I've ever owned, however I had a buzz for a few years and won't leave home without my Zone. I also dont like the Volts I've had, the axis didnt do anything my other mids couldnt do and they felt better in the hand, the ions are nice but theyre not wizards, but the Amp has been a staple in my bag until I lost it.

Imagine if people based their opinion of a brand off one disc? Imagine if the Groove was that one Innova disc?? :D
The difference for MVP is centered squarely on their GYRO techology. I don't doubt the physics, but I do doubt whether many people benefit from it. So if one doesn't see a clear benefit from that tech after testing one of their discs, maybe two, then they might be able to safely say it's just not for them.

My caution stems from people investing in a pile of discs, from ANY manufacturer, under the assumption that they're better for them than what they're throwing already or other options out there. It happens all the time. I've done it, many of us have. It can be fun, but it can also feel like an incredible waste of money and time.

To be very clear, I don't think there's anything bad about either disc. It's just that I truly do believe there's a certain amount of hyperbole attached to new disc/tech threads. Im sure I've done it, myself. When I hear someone claiming 300ft power is getting X more distance with new disc Y, that makes me want to try that disc. If I get that disc and it does not give me X more distance, I'm going to be disappointed and skeptical of such claims going forward.

I personally don't buy mvp for the gyro. I haven't found a benefit personally. I buy the molds that fly nicely for me and feel good in the hand

Although AIM is the MVP hypemaster extraordinaire, basically doing back-flips here when it comes to anything MVP, he's not alone. Trilogy fanboys come to mind. AIM's a good promoter of MVP, but like with any discs, or mfgr, it's not all positive all the time. Trying to dismiss or rationalize any negatives about MVP (durability, glide, etc) just makes it all less believable in the end.

I throw MVP, and a lot of it. Good stuff. But I don't buy into some of the more silly hype that seems to skewer any MVP discussion here.

To be very clear, I don't think there's anything bad about either disc. It's just that I truly do believe there's a certain amount of hyperbole attached to new disc/tech threads. Im sure I've done it, myself. When I hear someone claiming 300ft power is getting X more distance with new disc Y, that makes me want to try that disc. If I get that disc and it does not give me X more distance, I'm going to be disappointed and skeptical of such claims going forward.

Your experience with the fission gyro volt, sounds exactly what the point of the disc and technologies of fission+gyro are meant to be. It is not said as a hyperbole but more so disc physics and proven results. The claims are not magical but scientific. I imagine if you threw a regular proton or neutron volt at a heavier weight you would find the fission volt to be exactly as advertised. The escape might just be a better disc for you all together.

After reading all of the talk about the Fission Volt, I picked one up at 156g to compare again my Lucid Escape. Given the flight numbers for both, they're very comparable with the Escape having a tick more speed. I found the Volt to be considerably more stable with no turn unless I turned it over myself with a bit of anny or OAT. It never went further that the Escape, often with more nose sensitivity with resulted in earlier fade and less distance.

Volts really shouldn't turn and I don't know what kind of distance you get with an escape-- I do know the fission volt was instantly one of the longest flying 9 speed discs I've thrown, only thing to come close is a lighter valk and much harder to control at the same 400' power.

Not disagreeing at all with what you are saying and glad you explained why the volt wasn't your kind of disc. MVP's discs are unique in that sense and others have shared your similar experience it seems with many other non-fission plastic molds.

Well I was more interested in getting a wave first, but I also planned on grabbing a lighter weight N photon. So, if I can find a good color in the upper weight range I will be happy with this release. I still haven't tried a fission volt but plastic felt good at the store.

So I am a bit confused... The new photon...does it follow the - 20g rule the blizzard discs supposedly do? Or is it going to be stable no matter what so the lighter the further? Or is there a sweet spot 155? I'd like to try the mold but don't want to waste money on a dud weight that is another 12 speed turnover machine

they fly like discs which are "that much" heavier so no worries of dud turnovers even at light weights it sounds like.

Still the question remains go with a 155 to hopefully mimic a 175 or dip way down and hope for a rocket... I mean let's face it if they are going to release their much anticipated 21.5mm in the new light plastic let's hope for a rocket...

I imagine if you threw a regular proton or neutron volt at a heavier weight you would find the fission volt to be exactly as advertised.

This. I was a little disappointed in the 155 Fission Volt at first (still might try one at 165). I was throwing them against wraiths and plasma volts. Couldn't see the point of it for me because my Plasma Volt (170) gave me more D. But then I took them to the course and sort of realized where it fit. I still haven't had a lot of time with them yet, but here is where I think it fits and why I like the fission. It is a longer version of my max weight, stiff neutron Volt. It's straight to fade just like the neutron, just longer and easier to throw.

So plasma would be main driver (a little workable turn and reliable fade); complimented by the fission for straight to fade; and the neutron for straight with more fade and more wind fighting (throw in a crave for straight with less fade).

I could see myself running a similar setup with the max d drivers when they are released. This could replace my wraiths. Depends on what discs are released and in what plastics by Father's Day.

I bought a 155 and 163 fission volt. I'm crazy impressed with how they both held lines and weren't effected by the wind nearly as much as other "air" discs. (I throw d1 airs). Easier to throw than my neutron volts and still pretty stable for me. Think my plan is to go with a volt army of varying weights. These discs prove the effects of gyro tech.

Latest posts