• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Shock

Good work!

Picked up a 172 Pink Shock last night and hit cage with it today!
I was very impressed with its ability to hold a straight line when released flat and finish with a dependable amount of penetrating fade and excellent glide. The Shock I found to be dependable and a workhorse regardless of the amount of power I put into it. Reminds me a lot of my 11x Teebird that is now retired due to MVP's fairway lineup.

Excellent! Sounds you like you got a good one! My Shocks have more turn and a harder fade than my Volts...but I think that is indicitive of my throwing style/abilities than the disc itself. My Shock isn't understable enough for a good hyzer flip...but that's what I have my Patriot for!

AndyJB, you are not alone, I see the same thing, Shocks having more turn and harder fade than Volts. I was puzzled and now it is solved. I have 7 "old" Shocks and not sure if I ll use them in bag as I prefer Volts and would prefer new Shocks as well.

I just purchased a new volt and a new shock. The volt has a very aggressive flash compared to the shock, what does this indicate? Is it normal for the volt to have a very noticeable flash? Since there is 1 foot of snow on the ground I can't test these to see what they fly like:thmbdown: AND there is another foot on the way tonight and tomorrow. It's gonna be awhile before I see grass.

I understand your gripe, but this statement is pretty insulting to MVP honestly. Behind the 20 yr olds is their father who has like 50 years of experience in the molding business. Besides that, name a disc company who wouldn't sell their discs because they aren't as stable or understable as intended...

You could have 1000 years of molding experience but it won't make u beter at quality control and marketing. No matter what excuse u make if u make hundreds or thousands of discs wrong then you failed to QC during the molding process and then if you did finally QC afterwards you made the decision to sell the bad product to your best customers - the early adopters.

You could have 1000 years of molding experience but it won't make u beter at quality control and marketing. No matter what excuse u make if u make hundreds or thousands of discs wrong then you failed to QC during the molding process and then if you did finally QC afterwards you made the decision to sell the bad product to your best customers - the early adopters.

YES.

Good opp for early adopters to sell OOP 1st run collectible Shocks :)

However I agree about better QC is needed in that case. I am sure those smart kids are learning!

I bought a very early run shock about a month ago. Is it slightly more over stable than my Volt? No. Am I upset? Absolutely not. MVP is kicking out some amazing discs right now, and I'm really glad they are. Is there room for improvement? Yes, but by no means is me buying a faulty disc going to drive me away. I'll keep working this Shock, find out what it's good for and be on my way. Heck, like somebody said earlier, maybe there will be a niche market for early run Shocks.

...made the decision to sell the bad product to your best customers - the early adopters.

Ahaha, "bad product".. i think the First Run shocks are awesome and 99% of disc golfers will never know the first runs where ever a little less stable.

But certainly, not a bad product. There are some First Runs out there that fly as intended by the way.

I'm not sure about all the disc manufacturers and other threads. But Chad and Brad read this thread constantly. Only good can come of this.

Keep up the great work Chad, Brad, and MVP. You're the best in the bizz. :thmbup:

I think the issue isn't whether the Shocks are good discs or not...I think pretty much everyone on here has (some begrudignly) that it flies great. The real issue is that the disc is not what MVP advertised it as. I like the Shocks, bur I absolutley agree that either the quality control or the advertising was way off on this release...instead of a Teebied-esque wind fighter and straight line shooter, I got an EagleX-esque line shaper that loves a tailwind.

Good disc? Absolutley. Produced as advertised? Not even close.

MVP's main source of info on their discs for those in the know is HERE. If you read the MVP threads and the testers' descriptions of how their discs fly prior to your purchase then you are going to know what to expect.

AndyJB, you are not alone, I see the same thing, Shocks having more turn and harder fade than Volts. I was puzzled and now it is solved. I have 7 "old" Shocks and not sure if I ll use them in bag as I prefer Volts and would prefer new Shocks as well.

Glad to hear this. I was "shocked" when my Shocks were turning more but fading harder than my Volts.

I am excited to get my hands on a retooled version.

I might be picky but MVP website says Shocks is slightly overstable (which make sense to me esp with new Shocks having HSS of 0 or so) but the "Tech Specs" for Stability is Stable so I think it should say "Slightly Overstable" instead of Stable to make it consistent with disc description.

Correct, and the testers put that up front, that overstable doesn't always mean it is HIGH SPEED overstable but that the Shock had plenty of LOW Speed stability.

Now we won't ever know if MVP intended one over the other, or if they decided to listen to the customers and adjust the stability to what was wanted. The idea that the manufacturer is listening and adjusting according is revolutionary for disc golf. Most companies don't advertise changes like this

About a week ago I filmed a round at a 9 hole course with old shocks and a putter. I decided not to post it since the new ones were already on their way.

I'm at that same course now, plan to film another 9. Then I'll edit the two rounds together for comparison. Might not show the difference too much since the course is short but hopefully it turns out informative.

I might be picky but MVP website says Shocks is slightly overstable (which make sense to me esp with new Shocks having HSS of 0 or so) but the "Tech Specs" for Stability is Stable so I think it should say "Slightly Overstable" instead of Stable to make it consistent with disc description.

0 HSS and 2 LSS is overstable in my book.

I see what you're saying. On the descriptions it's a more conversational setting. The Specs area lists something more like a Class. Slightly Overstable falls into Stable.

It's understandable for folks to feel they were sold a disc which doesn't fly as advertised and be irritated by it. It's also understable folks who are fans of the company would rush to their defense. The easy solution is just dont early adopt. I want the Tangent, but I'll wait until production run reviews are out. If I waffle and pre-order because I can't wait a week or two, that's on me.

Latest posts