• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Shock

It's understandable for folks to feel they were sold a disc which doesn't fly as advertised and be irritated by it. It's also understable folks who are fans of the company would rush to their defense. The easy solution is just dont early adopt. I want the Tangent, but I'll wait until production run reviews are out. If I waffle and pre-order because I can't wait a week or two, that's on me.

No one is defending MVP first run inconsistencies. We just applaud their decision to fix the problem immediately. Its very commendable of them.

I always pre-order 1 or 2 discs and compare how it flies according to the intended flight. The discs that have had inconsistency for me with first runs are the Amp and Shock. Every other disc has been as described.

I just received latest runs from manufacturer a couple weeks ago and they all fly as intended.

Like it has been said before MVP is making discs unlike ANY other company out there, and there will be stumbles along the way. So far they have done an incredible job with overmold discs.

If you early adopt you are basically becoming a secondary tester (which I suspect is the reason why many early adopt). Early adopting with the expectation that the disc you buy is going to fill a specific role in your competition bag is silly.

overstable doesn't always mean it is HIGH SPEED overstable
I'm not sure that I agree with this statement. I can only speak for myself, but this forum is the only place Ive ever heard people discuss high/low speed stability as two different things. Typically if a company advertises a disc as "slightly overstable" then I assume they are talking about the high speed portion of flight. I understand why some people feel upset with the stability, and I get why somepeople say its your own fault for buying a first run. I'm not sure which way I fell(haven't thrown mine yet). But I think it's a cop out to say we don't know which stability(high or low speed) MVP was referring to when they say "slightly overstable". That being said, I'm super pumped to try a newer shock, just not excited that I bought one already.

Mark my words...the "early" shocks will be being sought after in the marketplace before long.

I'm not sure that I agree with this statement. I can only speak for myself, but this forum is the only place Ive ever heard people discuss high/low speed stability as two different things. Typically if a company advertises a disc as "slightly overstable" then I assume they are talking about the high speed portion of flight. I understand why some people feel upset with the stability, and I get why somepeople say its your own fault for buying a first run. I'm not sure which way I fell(haven't thrown mine yet). But I think it's a cop out to say we don't know which stability(high or low speed) MVP was referring to when they say "slightly overstable". That being said, I'm super pumped to try a newer shock, just not excited that I bought one already.
ZJ's talking about net stability -- that's what a single-metric rating like Discraft's is talking about. Something could be -1.5 / 3 and be overstable, but not HS overstable. Especially with control drivers you're looking at a net stability to represent the balance between stages, so an overall stable control driver can be a wide spectrum. Flights have many stages and breaking down HS/LS stability is the most simple division.

I consider, in my own terminology, the Shock to be a neutral driver, much like I do the Volt. If I get a good shot with my Shock (meaning no OAT, wrist angle problems, etc.) It has noticeable turn but fades back more or less nonlinear with my release point. My Volts have very little turn,especially when I throw them, and they generally also fade back more or less to the release point, if not a little to the left. The Volts fade is more forward and less drastic.

As opposed to the Amp, which I consider to be "true" understable...meaning it has a good amount of turn and ahem it fades it is still to the right of my release point.

Whereas my fresh Teebirds, which I consider overstable for my skill level, ride straight and finish to the left of my release point, usually significantly so. These may not be the correct terminologies, but it works for my brain, I guess.

I'm not upset with the Shock by any means. I like it and I can actually carve lines with it, which is something Ive always had trouble with, even with understable discs. I just think their description was a bit off. Saying.g it is "neitral-stable" while maybe not by-the-book correct, is a much more accurate description IMO.

The second runs seem to have a ton more fade and no turn. Damn, I just bought a rival too. Anyone have a 2nd run they wanna come off of? :p :\

Dang that thing is like 0 HSS and 3 LSS should fight mild wind with no problem at all.

GREAT to see! :)

By the way Mike, i like the open feild throws at the end, PLEASe do those in your videos from now on, i like seeing the disc from hand all the way to the ground, allows me to see all the action!

awesome.

Well, it's 20-25mph winds here in AZ with gusts up to 30. Shocks had no problem every on a full tip straight into these headwinds. Gonna be a huge asset this week during the memorial!

Great video. Even a bad like me can pretty clearly see the difference between the two. It's kind of funny in a way...if you were to run an all MVP bag I think you could definitely find usage for the first run for inbetweener shots between the volt and 2R shock.

Also, dat snow.

Wow! It's almost like a night and day difference with the two runs...really like two different discs. Awesome video...I think it's your best yet!

2:19 that low, forehand skip shot was so money it was unbelivable. Great shot.
2:49 the sky hyzers were really telling about this new mold. Beauty in flight
3:49 the hyzer shots were pretty consistent to what I'm getting, of course without that monster D. I am able to occasionaly hyzer-flip my Shocks, which is what appears to be what you were doing as well. The new ones jsut held the hyzer like nobody's business.

I gotta say, this new run is more what I was thinking when MVP first announced the Shock. I don't have anywhere close to Mike C's skill, arm speed or technique (especially on those amazing forehand shots!) so I think I'll stick with my Teebirds for now...if they were fading out that hard for MikeC, I can't imagine what my noodly arm would result in!

I think you could definitely find usage for the first run for inbetweener shots between the volt and 2R shock.

I agree...there should be room in the bag for both. You hear a lot of players talking about have a fresh and a beat disc of the same mold in their bags.

As far as i can tell, I think the Volt will work better for my BH and the fr Shock will work perfectly for my FH needs.

:thmbup: on the field work Mike.

*should be required on all future uploads. (Extremely helpful)

Would be nice to see the same with the Tangent vs Axis vs Vector

I was so happy to see the updates in this thread. My shocks both fly like a volt with more high speed turn and less fade, to be frank it had me confused and pissed off. Every other mvp has flown as advertised and this is almost a useless disc as far as my bag is concerned.

Maybe it'll be nice for hyzer flips, but mine looked even less stable than the ones mike had.

Its not the disc-- its your throw. There is no way you throw perfectly flat and cleanly and get totally opposite results as the majority here. I learned long ago not to listen to many of reviews on here (like yours above) because most of them are insane. EVERY DISC THAT COMES OUT seems to have this stability battle some being flippy etc yet everyyyyyyyy time I try a mold from the Lace, to the Saint, to the Volt and now the shock THEY FLY JUST AS ADVERTISED. Do people realize you can throw even the most FLIPPY POS on a hyzer line for good D if you have even the sliiiiiightest amount of disc control and understanding.

OK I'm done-- It is just reallllllly disheartening to see all these mixed reviews and opinions on a disc here when some people are REALLY TRYING TO GET GOOD INFORMATION AND A REAL UNDERSTANDING ITS IMPOSSIBLE! I feel like half the time it is the people throwing THE DISCS that are crazy not the manufactures... YES I KNOW SOME $^&# MOLDS GET INTO PRODUCTION BUT ON AVERAGE YOU PICK UP 5 OF ONE DISC AND THEY FLY SIMILAR WITH AN ODD DUCK HERE AND THERE.

Wow I drew a flame on a Disc Golf board. I am slightly proud of myself. :thmbup: I can certainly understand your frustration. Believe me when I say I am just looking for information here too. I'm just sharing what is happening on the course here. I certainly can be throwing it imperfectly, but I've been playing 3-5 times a week for that 2 years, and certainly know what stability feels like in a disc.

Glad to hear MVP is taking a look at the stability of the Shock. I'll probably pick one up and see what the difference feels like. I Use the Shock and Volt in my bag regularly now. There is no doubt in my mind that the particular Volt in my bag is more resistant to turning over with increased power. The Volt has become my main tunnel shot driver and I've now had birdy putts on a whole bunch of holes I have never had before. I use the Shock in similar situations where I have space to the right and can throw the disc with less power and still get a fairly straight shot with less fade at the end Or if I throw it with full power it will turn over predictably. I use a 172g Squall a lot for similar, but slightly shorter shots. When I need to go long and to the right, I have this 147g DD2 that never lived up to my expectations for the same kinds of reasons - It turns over and goes left when I throw it flat with good power, and that is just right on a few holes I can't reach with the Shock.

Anyway, I will be super excited to see a true long range driver from MVP with the Gyro technology. However, I do plan to wait a couple months after the discs come out to purchase next time from any manufacturer.

Last edited:
I am very impressed by MVP's products and adjustments. Thanks MVP. It seems to me that they listen directly to us and do their best to give us what we desire. I think that the level at which they listen to us is rare, so IMO the least I can do to show appreciation is to try out all of their products and advertise for them. If they have a big winner endorsing their line in the future and manage to enter the Innova-Walmart type market (along with their visual appeal) they would appeal to a lot of new players. I guess they would have to release a "speed 13-14" driver claiming to be the fastest and farthest on the market with a sweet name to compete with the Boss and Nuke appeal to new players though.