• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Shock

This brings me to a point I raised earlier...because MVP is a smaller company and (I assume) it costs them more to produce discs, I wonder if they are releasing them before they are 100 percent ready because they know we will buy them, and rather than throw them away, they release them at 90 percent consistency or whatever....its an economics t hing, maybe?

Which makes me wonder why no company (like Innova or Discraft...big companies) donates their factoryseconds (the really bad ones, not the ones they can sell as F2's) to third world countries? Bet they could get some sweet tax breaks for that...

So the mongolians can play disc golf while wearing their 49'ers Super Bowl 47 Champion Shirts and hats? :D

Why would they donate plastic when they can just regrind it and use it again?

I was able to take a Shock out today for the first time. The course that I went to only has holes that go out to 275-300, so I was only getting ~3/4 of the flight out of it, but my initial impressions are positive. It flew absolutely laser straight with my (beginner) forehand throw. It seems to have just about no high speed turn and a less pronounced low speed fade than my Volts.

I was able to thread a few needles on the back 9, as well as nail a few trees with velocity that would wreck base plastic drivers. As always, the outermold shows nary a scratch.

I'll hold off on final judgement of the disc until I can get it on some courses where I can more fully utilize it, but I enjoyed my round with it today.

Played a round today and threw my two shocks. First throw I knew they were going in the bag for sure. I threw a stock stamp Stormtrooper 174g and a Lime Green Skulboy/ZAM 170g. Honestly, they flew almost exactly the same for me. On the front nine, I had a stiff tailwind and the Shock performed excellently. Throwing with about 300 foot of power (about 80 percent for me) they stayed fairly straight, with a pretty noticeable fade. I noticed though, that for me the fade was pretty similar to a Volt. Same degree of fade, but the Shock was a little less forward penetrating. The 170g had a bit more turn out of the gate but I think that and the fade issue may be because of my throwing style and a bit of OAT.

When I hit the back 9, however, I was facing a gnarly headwind and some crosswinds as well. The Shock did not do well with that wind. I'm really bad at judging windspeed, but it was strong enough that really the only driver I could throw was my Destroyer, and my Ions were having trouble on approaches. Almost every Fairway shot I threw the Shock and the Volt. While I was able to control the Volt (sacrificing distance, of course) the Shock was pretty squirrely. I did turn one into am amazing roller...it turned and burned about 100 feet out but it caught an edge and rolled dead straight and hit the pole...first time in all my years of playing that I did that. Even though it was an accident, it was still really cool! I think with more work on hyzer angles, I'll be able to control it into the wind, but for now I'll stick with my Teebizzles for headwind Fairway shots.

I'm going to try to film some tester footage for InfiniteDiscs here soon and Ill post it here as well.

I should be receiving my Shocks on Tuesday or Wednesday. The Amps I got are just what I expected, and was happy to see how well they glide. The Amps have a good bit of turn but they straighten out nicely with little fade. I'm hoping the Shocks make a nice compliment to the Amps.

I took mine out on Saturday. I didn't get to throw it too much as I ended up running into a group of three 6 holes in an d they asked me to join since they had not played the course before. It seemed really overstable but it was right out of the box. It's also black. I've seen some post saying black and blue are always more overstable. I'm hoping to take it back out this weekend and see again

You know, I'm a big MVP fan. I have all the discs they've released so far. The Shock is the first disc I've gotten by them that I was a little disappointed in. It's really weird. It looks noticeably different than the Volt. It has a higher PLH and different wing shape. However, it flies exactly like my Volt. My Amp is great, being a solid understable driver. My Volt is great, being a solid neutral/stable driver. But the Shock is the same as the Volt. I got the neon yellow/green color, so I don't know if that could affect it or what. Maybe a different color could be more overstable?

I don't put much faith in the color difference. I have two 174s, one Stormtrooper and one in the same color you have (albiet with the Skullboy/ZAM stamp) and they both fly the same for me. Mine are more similiar to a Volt than the Amp is, but I wouldn't say it's like the Volt. I don't have a ton of power, but my Shocks had much more turn than my Volts. They also had a lot harder fade...they tended to get much less forward penetration once they began their fade. My Shocks are MONEY in a tailwind....glide for days and not quite so much turn, but still a reliable fade. My Volts fly exactly the same in any moderate wind.

But hey, different strokes for different folks, you know? I hate the Amp...you love the Amp...if I had any Amps left I'd suggest a one-for-one swap for that Shock you hate and I love LOL

You know, I'm a big MVP fan. I have all the discs they've released so far. The Shock is the first disc I've gotten by them that I was a little disappointed in. It's really weird. It looks noticeably different than the Volt. It has a higher PLH and different wing shape. However, it flies exactly like my Volt. My Amp is great, being a solid understable driver. My Volt is great, being a solid neutral/stable driver. But the Shock is the same as the Volt. I got the neon yellow/green color, so I don't know if that could affect it or what. Maybe a different color could be more overstable?

Ive got a blue one that I took out today and I agree with your sentiments. It's like I have two volts with different moldings. The difference between the flights of the volt and amp are more than noticeable. The shock, not so much. However, I have found that the shock is a better flick disc and maybe thats where I'll utilize it the most.

Is the Shock forehand friendly?

Very. First day I ever threw it I hit a basket off the tee with a flick. Video of it in my sig.

PS - Spend some time with your shocks everyone before feeling too let down that they aren't more overstable. The more I throw them side by side eith Volts the more I see how different they behave in the air. I think in time it will prove itself a useful disc to players.

Last edited:
It's really great FH disc. Reliable and does what you tell it

And I found while it might be close to a Volt, it goes at it in different ways. The flip is flat and more left to right flight(rhbh). The volt is better at flipping forward or over(right)

From what I can tell from the few throws I have had with my shock, volt and amp...

The shock likes to be kept low. It goes straight with a slightly forward fade at the end.
The volt can deal with a little height. It will turn slightly but will fade back towards center if given enough height.
The amp will turn and won't come back unless given a lot of height.

Big MVP fan and the Shock is very disappointing. Very unpredictable disc. All of my MVP drivers fly the opposite of the reviews I've read. My Volt (white 175) is really stable and my Amp (orange 173) is the best and NOT flippy at all, it hold a beautiful line and goes far. I never get the same result out of the Shock twice. It's already been removed from my bag sad to say.

Just a question: wher eis everyone getting these Bizarro MVP discs that do the opposite of what they're supposed to? Mine all fly just like they say they will on the inBounds charts...could it because I am a lower-powered player? I always assumed MVP was looking to market more towards intermediate and up type players...but do they fly the way they are supposed to because I don't have the arm speed that most of the posters on here do?