• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tensor new overstable mid

Overstable and high glide? Sounds promising. I barely ever throw the Vector, and this could replace my Zone for sharper hyzer shots.

Haha so when is mike c gonna post up a vid showing us how these fly?

Hey Pwingles, what about the new Shocks? Those are gyro and fly like Predators.

I havent thrown the re-worked shocks, have thrown a FR though, it was decent.

Bear with me,
Imo, preds are plenty os for most folks, and im aure the shock fits that role just fine. I wouldnt call preds a meathook though. Im thinking more along the lines of XXX or new run FB, trident, whippet etc.

My statements arent a knock on MVP really, I just think i would be hard to make something like that while having a disc be truly gyroscopic in the same way that the Ion, Anode, Volt or Axis is. When i throw those molds, i can see the effect the outter mold has on its line holding ability (have very little experience w/ the other molds so i wont comment on them). They are all gyroscopic and when they are thrown at the proper speed you can see the effects.
I assume the new shocks are the same, the plh is higher (i would imagine, havent seen them) but ultimately, if someone like you or ZJ were to mash on one, and get it to speed w/ proper rpms, it would fly very straight (preds do this as well when a little seasoned). This has been my experience with every MVP mold. Even the dozen throws ive had with an amp, if you dont get it to that break point/proper rpms, it flies like a completely different mold.

I would like to see if they are able to produce a disc in the super OS/utility driver category that has an rpm req that is almost unreachable, like that of the molds i mentioned before.

I would say the gyro basically impacts the lateral amount of fade. My FR vectors literally fly sideways to the left without cutting down at all or spiking into the ground and stop moving forward it is one of the prettiest shots to watch and similar to a new shock where they don't just fall out of the sky during LSS.

It always has been a simple DG rule of thumb that a overstable disc wants to get to the ground faster than one which is understable but the MVP gyro seems to impact the LSS fade of all their molds different than your standard plastic IMO which just drop and MVP's don't, often why it takes time to "dial them in" for people who have not thrown these much and the distance potential for their putters/mid/fairways is crazy compared to any other company-- I rarely find a need for a high speed distance driver anymore and don't even have a go-to one right now in my bag.

Ahhh the ever elusive, latteral decending flight thats not decending, but somehow ends up not in the air. Which is different from fade. Because theres a gyro....

Tried to have an actual discussion with someone in one of these threads, shoulde known better

Last edited:
I really don't like excellent glide on my os midranges =\ I'm assuming this is a large diameter disc?

Ahhh the ever elusive, latteral decending flight thats not decending, but somehow ends up not in the air. Which is different from fade. Because theres a gyro....

Tried to have an actual discussion with someone in one of these threads, shoulde known better

FWIW, I have the same curiousity. The Shock shows they can do beefy, but a glidelss brick type-flight? As you say, the gyro would seem not to lend itself to this as readily.

xXx and Champ Rhyno...can MVP knock these out?

FWIW, I have the same curiousity. The Shock shows they can do beefy, but a glidelss brick type-flight? As you say, the gyro would seem not to lend itself to this as readily.

xXx and Champ Rhyno...can MVP knock these out?

Im thinking zone more than rhyno personally, but ya, thats the idea.

Not saying they cant do it. Just saying it defeats the purpose of the gyro and in order to do it, it would have to be not super gyro scopic, at least thats JMO.

If someone has an explanation on how theyd achieve truly nasty overstability while maintaining their famous gyroscopic-ness, thats based on something thats not fanbonerism or speculation and more in the sciency/common sense realm, id be very interested to listen to it.

Its something that they'll eventually have to address I'd think.

Not saying they cant do it. Just saying it defeats the purpose of the gyro and in order to do it, it would have to be not super gyro scopic, at least thats JMO.

If someone has an explanation on how theyd achieve truly nasty overstability while maintaining their famous gyroscopic-ness, thats based on something thats not fanbonerism or speculation and more in the sciency/common sense realm, id be very interested to listen to it.

This isn't based in science what so ever, but my line of thought would be to make the core and overmold the same weight. I'm not sure if that's even possible, but it seems the disc would fly more traditionally if it was equally weighted in the core and rim.

^^ exactly what I was gonna say. Put more weights toward the middle of the disc... not sure what it would do, but it seems it would neglect some of the gyro effect...

Can't they just make the nose blunter, and make the wing more concave? But I agree that at a certain point of "beefyness" having gyroscopic-ness won't really matter. At least for normal arms.

As much as I enjoy MVP plastic, I just got the Prodigy M1 from GG over the weekend. It's already got an ace. i think I'll hold onto that one...

this topic is way above DGCR discussion IMO understand gyroscopic principles alone is no easy thing to do. Gyro would not defeat the purpose of a massive OS disc. Look at a boomerang which is extremely gyroscopic and so stable they fade BACK TO YOU when thrown lol... Gyro essentially exaggerates the flight of a disc as it keeps the core wanting to move in one direction or the other.

found a good read here a while back when researching mvp gyro and how it could/would/should impact disc flight. http://plus.maths.org/content/os/issue7/features/gyroscopes/index

The description says great glide. I'm not sure how's that gonna mix with being (hopefully) really overstable. I hope the glide doesn't take away some of the predictability of the disc.

However, everyone now claims their disc to have amazing glide, it's the magic word it seems in disc golf.
This.

I don't throw a Gator for the glide. I throw it because it acts as a projectile and stays put.