• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

I have a 170g FR Volt. If its not a 'real' Volt what would you say it is, or is more comparable to? I also have a 175g Standard Blue Neutron, 173g Yellow Eclipse, and a 175g Metallic Green. The Metallic Green one is the most US of the 3, but not more than the FR. Kinda flys like my Amp. I wonder if all the Metallic Greens are a little on the US side, Teslas too? (I do have a FR Shock that is similar to the FR Volt)

Early run Volt on left - lower plh, mild dome, lighter weights available, -.75/2 on the Innova scale, has a bit more glide. Anything under 300' will be uber-straight to fade; more than that and you'll see a very mild turn (from flat) that increases predictably with increasing power.

"Modern" run on the right - higher plh, board flat, 170+ only, 0/2.5 on the Innova scale, has a bit less glide but is faster. Straight to reliable fade for all but the biggest arms. Good (but not great) in a headwind. Great for forehands. Protons, Eclipse, and Neutron are all currently coming out virtually identical.

Your results may vary.

Personally, I prefer the older ones when it comes to my workhorse driver slot and the new ones for more specialized overstable duties (and crappy FHs).

picture.php

Last edited:
They should redo the Shock, Volt, and Amp in the new softer plastic and come out with the Classic line-up. Classic being the 1st run stuff. Heck, they've already got a different disc in 1st run Shocks and Volts.

Yeah, I'm not super happy with some of the variation in this speed class.

FR Shocks had some of the same characteristics as that Volt above: They had a lower PLH (and more dome) than everything since and were a really funky combination of high speed turn and a pronounced fade. The mold has been super reliable ever since and a much better effort in the overstable department.

Already said my piece about the Volt above, and I think it'll be a shame if then never come out like that again. I also wish that we had just a little more difference in flight and grip between the two plastics. A softer blend in any plastic sure would be nice.

And...the Amp. Really starting to see a pattern here. Low plh / moderate dome = buttah turnover driver. Firm, flat, higher plh Amp = not so much. If the Volt is a Teebird (it's not), then the recent Amps I've been seeing are like a heavy Champ TL. Not a bad disc in it's own right, but a sidewinder it ain't.

TLDR: Leave the Shock alone, give me back my neutral/stable Volts, and make sure the Amp is coming out reliably understable. And a softer blend outside the putter family. And baseline putters.

Hey guys, I just lost a first run volt today and I have the first one I ever bought as a backup but I'd like to have a couple more because I don't want to lose my first volt.

Wow that was a long sentence.
Anywho, I don't wanna be trolling around looking for first run volts so what would be a suitable replacement?
I have a hot pink amp and I hear they're close to first run volts but my amp is much more understable than my fr volts.
Should I try another amp in the hopes that mine is freakishly understable?
Oh, if it helps I can hit 360ish with the crave golf distance.

Help me guys!

a beat crave is pretty much the same disc as a FR volt if you have that kind of power... inspire probably my 2nd bet but its not going to be really the exact same disc' Just pick up some stock volts and beat them in. I have a proton volt that no longer has a heavy LSS and the fade is a lot straighter with more glide overall.

Those lighter volts were a consistency issue not the mold itself-- I had "FR" volts that few JUST like my protons do (and same with shocks) not every one was a turn/fade machine --which they have the clash/servo now for that anyways...

The Volt is the same disc, just starts out more stable..

Throw some rollers, t-hawks, skip shots, spike hyzers, and it will beat in within a few months ;)

Yeah, I'm not super happy with some of the variation in this speed class.

FR Shocks had some of the same characteristics as that Volt above: They had a lower PLH (and more dome) than everything since and were a really funky combination of high speed turn and a pronounced fade. The mold has been super reliable ever since and a much better effort in the overstable department.

Already said my piece about the Volt above, and I think it'll be a shame if then never come out like that again. I also wish that we had just a little more difference in flight and grip between the two plastics. A softer blend in any plastic sure would be nice.

And...the Amp. Really starting to see a pattern here. Low plh / moderate dome = buttah turnover driver. Firm, flat, higher plh Amp = not so much. If the Volt is a Teebird (it's not), then the recent Amps I've been seeing are like a heavy Champ TL. Not a bad disc in it's own right, but a sidewinder it ain't.

TLDR: Leave the Shock alone, give me back my neutral/stable Volts, and make sure the Amp is coming out reliably understable. And a softer blend outside the putter family. And baseline putters.

Current Amps = early Volts.
Current Volts will beat to almost straight, give it time. Better that way, than to start slightly US and beat into a flippier Beast.

If you need more turn than the current Amp, best bet is Impulse, or I guess Inspire if you prefer a narrower feel. I have a max wt Inertia that has the same or even a bit more HS turn than my pretty seasoned 172 'current' Amp.

Last edited:
They should redo the Shock, Volt, and Amp in the new softer plastic and come out with the Classic line-up. Classic being the 1st run stuff. Heck, they've already got a different disc in 1st run Shocks and Volts.

I think those early Shocks/Volts that had turn weren't molded that way as such, but cooled a certain way to have more rounded shoulders and lower PLHs than intended. At least, that's the venom on it...It may not be something they can accurately reproduce.

^Don't get me wrong, the first N Volt I picked up with the higher PLH, I was at first like 'wtf?!,' but IMO better that they wear into the disc you want and stay there, than start where you want and break in and become kind of an unpredictable S curver.

I traded my early Volt to bfowler, but before I did, I was seeing very similar flights to my Amp from it.

To me, the Amp is an US control driver, not uber-flippy. I think we've all sort of collectively arrived at the conclusion that, so far, MVP hasn't really put out any discs at the very extreme edges of OS or US.

I think I'm going to try out another amp to see if it is similar to my FR volt.

I love the crave, but it doesn't do the nice hyzer flip that my volt does. I never measured how far my volts went but they just seem to go for days.

The inspire I have is 164 and super flippy.

My switch could be comparable to the volt but it doesn't have the glide and is a bit more understable.

Hopefully I can find a replacement, if not I'll just have to figure out a way to live without it

I think I'm going to try out another amp to see if it is similar to my FR volt.

I love the crave, but it doesn't do the nice hyzer flip that my volt does. I never measured how far my volts went but they just seem to go for days.

The inspire I have is 164 and super flippy.

My switch could be comparable to the volt but it doesn't have the glide and is a bit more understable.

Hopefully I can find a replacement, if not I'll just have to figure out a way to live without it

An Amp in the 170's should be pretty close to what you're looking for. Max wt might be best. My pretty beat 'old Volt' had very slightly more HS and LSS than my kind of beat Amp.

If your Crave is pretty new (or if it's Proton) give it time. The one I had took a little time, but it seasoned into hyzerflip goodness.

Last edited:
An Amp in the 170's should be pretty close to what you're looking for. Max wt might be best. My pretty beat 'old Volt' had very slightly more HS and LSS than my kind of beat Amp.

If your Crave is pretty new (or if it's Proton) give it time. The one I had took a little time, but it seasoned into hyzerflip goodness.

I went ahead and bought a 175 amp. Got an envy and 165 Tesla to try out while I'm at it haha.

I'll let you all know how new amp and old volt compare when they come in.

I can throw my FR Volt and my 172 Amp exactly the same laser beam line, if I want.

But I can also throw the Volt to have some decent fade at the end. If I throw it on a anny line it'll hold the line to the ground.

The Amp with enough power will do a beautiful "S" curve and it comes back a little on an anny.

^yeah, they're not exactly the same disc. And I know some guys have said they've seen some variance in the Amps...

The Amp being a suitable sub for an 'old Volt' may come down to how comfortable the thrower is making small adjustments in the throws. End of the day the Amp will fly a lot of the lines pretty closely to those turnier Volts.

I'll be curious to see how it works out, SLiuGraphite.

Might as well post these again, along with the photo above, these are buried somewhere back in this thread....

White is same Volt from above, lt blue is a 'tweaked process' Volt, orange = 2nd run Shock.

The process change they made seems to have eliminated the rounded shoulder/doming/dropped PLH on the Volts. Most I've seen for a while are flatter/higher PLH like the blue one. They're beef off the shelf but season up reeeeeealy nice.

Last edited:
DISASTER!!

On vacation @ Isle of Palms SC. Hit up Trophy Lakes yesterday...

Back to back rounds of +1 from the blue tees, which is pretty strong for me, but it was bitter sweet because I sent both my Volts to a watery grave. :( Including an E that was nice and beat into the sweet spot.

Now I'm stranded in the Charleston area with no Volts. Local PIAS was fresh out of N Volts...

Latest posts