• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My makeshift bag

AdmiralQuack

Par Member
Vitals:
years playing/experience: 8 months / 311 rounds
right/left: right handed
throwing style: forehand (just starting to try to figure out backhand, not much luck so far)
golf distance avg/max: putter- 50'/200' mids- 0'/0' (have none, see bag) driver- 300'/375'

optional

sex: male

injuries/handicap: broke right collar bone years ago (changed geometry of shoulder)
tore right MCL January 2012 (started discing to rehab it)
right shoulder/rotater cuff damage when broke collar bone

other sport proficiencies: bowler, mountain biker, baseball, darts, pool, and snowmobiling

additional information: unemployed for the last year, until last week. Most discs I have were found, unmarked, and I have learned to use to the best of my abilities. Being that I am finally working, I can invest in more suitable plastic in the near future. Also, as I already mentioned, I'm trying to develop a backhand shot (feels unnatural, throwing and footwork). This first year, I decided to really concentrate on my basic throw, not worrying about rollers, tomahawks, etc. I have just recently started experimenting in field training with these more advanced throws. I know the difference between OS, stabile, and US, but haven't figured out when each is best suited for certain throws. I just know how to get my discs to do what I want, make sense?

likes/dislikes about current bag: I dislike the lack of straight flying discs, and mids. I like the Wraith but need lots of room to get most results, especially left oriented holes. see disc descriptions for more details.

specific areas of desired feedback: recommendations for discs to purchase intending mainly to throw forehand with eventual backhand added over time discs to fill in and/or replace holes, overlaps

immediate/long term goals: immediate- a better variety of discs to utilise with my basic forehand throw, which is fairly developed, in my opinion. Long term- to develop more useful techniques, like tomahawks, rollers etc as well as my backhand shots

MY BAG

drivers:
Wahoo- 172g R-pro Innova swoosh, found in the weeds, good condition, nasty water holes ( i have a nasty stinky "Shrek green" lake here that I have played 70 rounds near, go in and the waves bring it to shore)

12x KC Star Wraith Innova swoosh, 175g (I think, not 100% sure) found in the woods, good condition, main driver, comfortable with, and pretty consistent with it

Champion Beast Innova swoosh, 168g, found brand new in a basket, haven't liked it's flight inconsistency, so haven't thrown it much

Discraft Flash Elite-Z tye dye, not sure weight,170ish maybe, traded for used, great condition, really domey, try to use it for drives seems super overstable, fades hard

MIDS: these aren't called mids but that is how I use them

Champion Orc Innova swoosh, again not sure of weight, 170ish maybe, found in the woods, great condition, use more as a mid or if dogleg right, good glide hard fade

Star Sidewinder Innova swoosh 168g, good condition, found in the woods, use as a mid for approach shots, getting flippy

Star TL Innova swoosh, 177g, good condition, found on a trail, use as mid for approach shots, and originally as a putter

Discraft Express Elite-Z, 172g traded for new, great condition, not a mid but used for approach shots, I like the understable qualities in this disc, can flick left with it, can drop it in very nicely

Putters:

(2) DX XD + molds 170g, traded for new, 1 beat, 1 good condition, primarily putting. Field trained last week backhanded with these XDs and threw them as far as most of these other discs forehanded

three disc that might help your immediate needs, could be the medius and the FD or jackal and buzzz
the medius is a good betweener disc, not quite a mid and slow for a fairway driver. it would hold lines well for FH shots and a touch of fade and be a good left finishing BH disc.
the FD jackal is an understable disc, that powered down can fly really straight, some power they go right . great glide you can really get some distance. this will help develope your BH. S line 170 perhaps
buzzz is a great all around disc for any level player. this should be your 1st buy seeing you dont have a mid

Higher speed mids, such as warship or buzz, or lower speed fairways such as the jackal, river, gazelle or eagle. Pretty much what Jake Master suggests. Your driving distance sounds fine where it is right now. Work on control with the mids and fairway drivers. It's improved my overall game tremendously this last year.