• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Need a BH Understable Disc

I think the lower the speed the more controllable the disc. Sometimes control is way more important on a course than the extra 20-50 feet of distance you get if you disc up.

In this case, I agree. There are a few holes I need the S curve on (which is why I am asking this to begin with). Roughly 150' off the Tee Pad on a lot of these holes, is a large wad of trees...the fairway is offset to the right of the line off the teepad..and then runs straight from there....I need a shot on these holes, that almost flex's....Turns Right before the 150' mark to make the offset fairway...and then glides down as far as it can.

This is the hole:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=4222&p=23cbb215

Find Hole #2

You can see it there pretty good...need to turn right off the tee...

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you may be trying to strong arm your throws which usually causes inaccuracy and distance to stall out at a point. I would definitely suggest discing way down and re working your form. It took me almost ten years to come to that same realization with my game, and since I did about a year ago my whole game has improved leaps and bounds.

I carry an Underworld, Xpress, XS and Mamba for my understable backhand needs. These all work undertable without effort. I mean I can turn a Saint, Avenger SS, but for me, those are straight line discs.

At the distance you're getting that blizzard katana, you need a Z BUZZZ! Since you said you want understable, maybe an Meteor, Fuse, or Tursas would be a good option. I'd just recommend a midrange though...

I also recommend discing down a little. Try 7-10 speed instead of 11+. You're literally not gaining anything from 11+ discs. A teebird will go 300 for you but will glide and fly straight and overstable and be extremely controllable whereas your wraith will be very overstable and harder to control. Lighter discs do wonders but IMO stick to around 165. Less than 160 is questionable precision-wise IMO, but I could easily be wrong about that. I like heavier premium plastic discs that are predictable and stay in the sweet spot forever so I recommend something like a 165ish S TD Rush, ESP Flash, Lucid Escape, Star Valkyrie, Champion Beast, GL Saint, Proton Amp, Proton Volt, Sirius Orion LS, or VIP Northman. Sand the flashing off well, throw it on concrete a few times, and rip it out there flat and nose down 7 feet off the ground and you should get a nice full flight that glides well and gets you close to max d with great precision.

I would suggest a DX or pro leopard, my longest US backhand disc is a 130g blizz Boss, throw it on a hyzer and it'll do a huge ~420ft s curve for me

Try a Patriot and an underworld. They cover a ton of the understable spectrum.

Pro Leopards are awesome, but you may as well work with your Star Leo. It's what you need and you already have it. Once you become addicted to Leopards, you will want to experience the sweetness that is the Pro Leo. They're nice and grippy and their wear pattern is awesome.

As for weight, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The 167 Star will work just fine.

You should be able to get some nice turn and fade action out of it. Experiment with hyzer, straight, and anyhyzer releases to learn the disc and maximize it's potential. Leopards are capable of going much farther than 320'.

I wouldn't worry about a Sidewinder just yet. It needs a bit more power to turn as it should. Once you get going with the Leopard, you might want to look into a Sidewinder for turnovers and huge anhyzers, but the Leopard will do that for you now and it will be easier to get what you want out of it.

You could get a River or an Underworld or a Patriot, but why? You already have one of the best molds for that slot in the Leopard.

Some that have worked well for me (LHBH):

Secret Weapon
DX Cobra
DX Valkyrie

And as previously stated Leopard in DX or Pro, DX Beast

From less stable to more stable. (less distance to more more distance)...

Fresh DX Cobra, Pro Leopard, Champ Roadrunner, beat Champion Valk...

Not to sound like a complete jerk, but here we go: How is a course designer asking this question?

Ok, so to answer your question, I'd check out a lighter Valk (165-169) or a Sidewinder. Both of those are amazing when thrown with good form.

Or the Leopard is a good one to go with, but it's nearly half the speed of a Wraith, so it might be a bit of an adjustment.