• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help with accuracy

sdecker

I've been playing off and on for quite a few years now, but have really begun to get serious in the last year or so as far as improving my game. I've played hundreds of rounds, just not very well...see below. ;)

As background, when I started there were very few courses, very few discs, and even fewer people who knew what the game was and how to play. A guy I met was cool enough to help me find a DX Shark to get started with, and off we went.

I had grown up throwing Frisbee and had naturally developed muscle memory for throwing hyzers in the back yard. (I'm RHBH but can also throw RHFH.) I noticed immediately that the 'waist to shoulder' movement I used for a regular Frisbee didn't translate that well to disc golf. ;) My footwork was terrible/non-existent.

The problem is, I've been trying for years to throw a flat and accurate drive. I've watched videos, read tons of posts, sites, articles, solicited advice from friends, etc. Nothing seems to work and it's really frustrating! This all came to a head for me when I played Foothills (Easley, SC) a couple of days ago. Wooded courses with tight fairways are my absolute nemesis.

I'm actually thinking about completely retooling from the ground up. I recently purchased a Dart which seems to be a very straight disc and capable of getting out there to 250 or so. My plan is to stop running up and just throw the Dart flat footed for a while, a la Dan Beato's vid and Climo/Feldberg's DVD. I know my game will suffer distance wise for a while and I just don't care. I just want to throw a shot that goes where I want it to off the tee!

One other thing -- I found a few years back that I could get rid of most of the annoying unwanted constant hyzer by throwing a more understable disc like the Beast. I will actually release it so that the left (outer) rim is about 1/2" to 3/4" higher than my thumb. That forces the disc to anny for a bit, then fly straight, then come back left in an S. I don't really mind throwing this way, but dammit...I just want to throw straight and flat!

It really can't be this hard, can it? Anything you guys can offer would be appreciated.

I forgot to mention...I throw pretty much everything in the 171 to 175g weights only because that's what I got started with. Could it be that I'm throwing plastic that is too heavy, and would lower weight discs make it easier to learn proper form and throwing technique?

If you're rebuilding your throw, the Dan Beato video is perfect. Concentrate on the late acceleration and getting your weight transferred right. Notice how he kicks his left foot out every time? He's doing that to ensure his weight gets transferred to his plant foot correctly.

I wouldn't worry about trying to throw flat all the time. You'll eventually find that most of your throws (and probably all of the straight ones) will start off as a hyzer. It's good to know how to throw anhyzer and flat, but of those a flat throw is the hardest to perform and least useful.

Stable putters, mids and slow fairway drivers (like Polaris LS/Cheetah slow) in low end plastics will be the easiest with which to learn.

i've learned over the years that if you are having trouble getting the line that you are seeking to take a stack of MIDRANGES out to the open field and start hucking. a midrange will show what you ARE AND ARE NOT doing correctly with your throws. when you can get a mid to fly nearly as far as a driver while holding the line that your looking for then you know that your on the right track!!!!! i hope this helps you as much as it has helped me!!!!!!!

I forgot to mention...I throw pretty much everything in the 171 to 175g weights only because that's what I got started with. Could it be that I'm throwing plastic that is too heavy, and would lower weight discs make it easier to learn proper form and throwing technique?
Absolutely! When I first started I didn't know anything about weights. The stores all carried max weight discs so that's what I threw. Lately I've been dropping down to the 160's weight range & discs are starting to fly like the mfg ratings say it's supposed to. Very cool!

If you're rebuilding your throw, the Dan Beato video is perfect. Concentrate on the late acceleration and getting your weight transferred right. Notice how he kicks his left foot out every time? He's doing that to ensure his weight gets transferred to his plant foot correctly.

I wouldn't worry about trying to throw flat all the time. You'll eventually find that most of your throws (and probably all of the straight ones) will start off as a hyzer. It's good to know how to throw anhyzer and flat, but of those a flat throw is the hardest to perform and least useful.

Stable putters, mids and slow fairway drivers (like Polaris LS/Cheetah slow) in low end plastics will be the easiest with which to learn.

Thank you for the advice. My plan is to get out there and throw the Dart (putter), Roc, and Shark for a while until I can get the accuracy and form I want. Back in the day, the easy (and in retrospect, bad for me) way to get more distance off the tee was 'buy a faster disc'. For example, I got to the point where I had enough arm speed to turn over a Beast off the tee...so I got an SL (1 notch less understable) and kept going. What actually got me thinking about all this was I played a round with a guy who could throw a Beast dead straight, level, flat, and about 100 feet past mine. It pissed me off that he could do what I wanted to do with a disc that I couldn't!

i've learned over the years that if you are having trouble getting the line that you are seeking to take a stack of MIDRANGES out to the open field and start hucking. a midrange will show what you ARE AND ARE NOT doing correctly with your throws. when you can get a mid to fly nearly as far as a driver while holding the line that your looking for then you know that your on the right track!!!!! i hope this helps you as much as it has helped me!!!!!!!

That is the plan. I have a few various mids (Millenium Aurora, Rattler, Roc, Dart) I will be throwing the crap out of.

Absolutely! When I first started I didn't know anything about weights. The stores all carried max weight discs so that's what I threw. Lately I've been dropping down to the 160's weight range & discs are starting to fly like the mfg ratings say it's supposed to. Very cool!

I will try some lower weight discs and see how they do. I have a 148 gram Flick that comes off my forehand like a rocket, but I've never tried lower weights than 170-ish with my backhand. I'm willing to do anything at this point.

You didn't mention the length on your side arm throws. Is it good? Lots of people throw side arm shots with good success.

RHBH I can throw probably 250-275 with a good drive and no adverse wind. RHFH I can throw 275-325 fairly reliably.

My issue is actually not really with distance at this point, it's learning how to release the disc at the proper angle so I don't hit the tree 15-30 feet in front and to the right of the tee box. Tightly wooded fairways just kick my ass and I'm hoping if I can learn to control a slower straighter disc that would be an alternative for me.

My buddy can put pretty much any disc on a laser line to wherever he wants out to probably 150 feet. SO FRUSTRATING to have to watch him do that while I'm playing Plinko in the woods. :(

Without actually seeing you throw it is difficult to give advise. One thing that came to mind is what your hand is doing after you release.
Thumb down= hyzer.
thumb up = anhyzer/flex shot.
flat = flat.

Thanks -- I 'believe' I'm OK in that area but I will recheck when I throw again this afternoon.

Another way to regain your form after the kind of inadvertant change you've described is to fool your body into it. Try going out and throwing with the opposite hand. It really doesn't matter if your efforts are successful, because what you're trying to do is to teach your body to mirror a motion.

Take your disc in your opposite hand and go through the basic pull back and pull through motion. You don't even have to throw it if you don't want to. Once you try this - you'll find the wrong hand motion feels a little weird - so to correct it - reverse it by putting the disc back in you regular throwing hand and go through that motion (again - you don't have to actually throw - its the motion that's important). Step through your motion w/your regular throwing hand, then immediately put the disc in your other hand and try and reproduce the motion in the opposite direction. The footwork, reach back, and pull through motions (or whatever is wrong with them) become amplified and obvious - so you can recognize the things that need changing. Give it a try! And good luck!

Another way to regain your form after the kind of inadvertant change you've described is to fool your body into it. Try going out and throwing with the opposite hand. It really doesn't matter if your efforts are successful, because what you're trying to do is to teach your body to mirror a motion.

Take your disc in your opposite hand and go through the basic pull back and pull through motion. You don't even have to throw it if you don't want to. Once you try this - you'll find the wrong hand motion feels a little weird - so to correct it - reverse it by putting the disc back in you regular throwing hand and go through that motion (again - you don't have to actually throw - its the motion that's important). Step through your motion w/your regular throwing hand, then immediately put the disc in your other hand and try and reproduce the motion in the opposite direction. The footwork, reach back, and pull through motions (or whatever is wrong with them) become amplified and obvious - so you can recognize the things that need changing. Give it a try! And good luck!

Sounds good! My neighbors probably think I'm a weirdo anyway. I play long toss with the kids every day to work the approach...I'll try some of it LHBH. Why not?

I'm actually thinking about completely retooling from the ground up. I recently purchased a Dart which seems to be a very straight disc and capable of getting out there to 250 or so. My plan is to stop running up and just throw the Dart flat footed for a while, a la Dan Beato's vid and Climo/Feldberg's DVD. I know my game will suffer distance wise for a while and I just don't care. I just want to throw a shot that goes where I want it to off the tee!

Great Place to start! AND even come back to from time to time. I just played 56 holes yesterday in Chicago on two different courses that the tee pads were just way to short to even think about an approach. This was more because the grounds were a mud pit/pond puddle due to a rain, BUT I decided what a great opportunity to throw a couple rounds without the approach and focus on form again. I actually played very well even though the sacrifice in distance was there, the accuracy greatly improved making distance a non-issue!

Using the dan beato technic yesterday i was throwing my Hawk 275'-280 straight as an arrow. Went where I aimed which was a major step for me. That video not only helps in distance but also consistency which in turn helps with accuracy.

Latest posts