• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Need some advice on a new midrange mold

Comet!
If you're going to audition a Roc, then its required to try a Buzzz.
For a little longer flight but dead straight try a Glide or an Atlas. Both are pretty reliable to hold their line even into a moderate headwind.

I also think the Mako3-Roc3 combo is the way to go.. The star mako3 I have is really straight to slightly understable and is probably my favorite disc right now.

Ton of choices, and you'll get a ton of recommendations. My $0.02 contribution to the literature are the Titanium Buzzz, Glow Z Buzzz, Panther, and Mako3 (which is straight to understable).

But just about all of them are good; it'll come down to the feel and plastic that you like best.

Panther is a underrated disc. I threw one for ages, put a little hyzer on it and it would pop up and go dead straight. Great speed and mind blowing glide, mine was domey. Then it glided into a lake. Miss that thing.

I'm one of the weirdos who bags both some Emac Truths and some Rocs. The reason I bag both is that they take different lines for a similar result. Rocs take a slow glidey high line whereas you can really throw an Emac truth on a lower line drive shot. It sounds like you're going to try them both out, which is a great choice. Rocs can be finnicky if your form is off, so if your form has improved since the last time you tried throwing one, you may be very pleasantly surprised with how it will perform for you!

Panther is a underrated disc. I threw one for ages, put a little hyzer on it and it would pop up and go dead straight. Great speed and mind blowing glide, mine was domey. Then it glided into a lake. Miss that thing.

My blue Panthers are domier and are straight-to-understable. My pink Panthers are a bit flatter with a higher PLH, and are straight-to-slightly overstable... incuding my first one that I bought 2 1/2 years ago (!). Constant use in my bag and shows no signs of beating in...

The good news is that Panthers are out there in great quantity, weights, and colors, so you can replace your lost one.

I found a Shark, a more gliding version of a ROC works very well for me. It is noted the disc has more Dome then the ones on the page. Also note a Super Stingray Champion is a very good midrange that I saw somebody use that has the late turn fade only. Also both disc I mentioned work well in windy situations, the original Stingray not so much unless it is a tailwind.

I have two roc3s that are very different. My g* sounds like what you're talking about, straight with firm hss and a bit of fade. I also have a shimmer vroc3 that is more OS.
The more plastic I throw, the more I see variation in flight from disc to disc of the same mold. It feels very much like a trial and error sometimes.