• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

need understable distance spot in lineup

elmexdela

* Ace Member *
ok so my bag doesnt exceed speed 9 (i consider pds speed 9)

i have a noodle arm and can throw 365 at max. say about 330 consistently.

in my bag for distance drivers i huck

star fb- for utility, strong winds, really over stable

ppd- overstable

opto saint- neutral no fade

understable???

i used to throw a champ sidewinder, but the releases of the slanted rims got me upset. i refuse to throw them anymore. i know the roadrunner had a run or two with slanted rims as well. i was lookin at the sols, hatchet, fury, jade, mongoose and bandit.

not sure what would fit into my bag the best. or should i try a gold line saint? do they turn alot? or maybe RL saint?

others say just cycle pd but i feel they might fade too hard at the end.

i dont have a ton of money to be messing around with.

please dont just spew out recommendations. i can read marshall streets flight guide just fine but i want consistent understable runs where i can walk into any store and pick up pretty close to the same flying disc off the shelf. im lookin for people who have thrown most of them or know the spot im lookin for. im not committed to any brand

Last edited:
Would you be willing to try an Amp? With your distance it would be understable, but not flippy. Great for control in that slot.

I would also highly suggest the Inertia, but I'm not sure you want something that fast.

I should say that in the beginning there was some change in the Amp's stability, but that was only fhe first run. If you're certain the Amp you buy is newer, there will be no issues in consistency. (Any of the bigger retailers would have run out of the FR's long ago)

Last edited:
The disc more or less just came out, but over the past few weeks I've really been digging on the DD Witness in Lucid. Mines about 170g and shows turn. Its not the flippiest thing in the world but extremely controllable.

Thrown straight-will turn and fade just enough to basically land on a straight line

Hyzer-will hold a nice long glidey hyzer. Little flip up and it can boom

Anny-will hold one to the ground out of the box.

If you liked the Sidewinder, you'll probably like the Avenger ss. I used to throw Star Sidewinders-- got my first ace on it! After reading about the Avenger SS, I found out that a lot of people liked the FLX plastic so that's what I got. I've tried it in the ESP and Z but like FLX the best. I usually gravitate to the "Starrish" plastics of a brand since they're a bit more understable than their Champ counterparts, IMO. My sweet spot for weight is 168g.

I decided to comment here cuz I saw that you placed a wanted thread for this disc yesterday. Was going to say something about it there but this seems a better place for it. Anyway, good luck in your search and hope those Avengers work for ya.:thmbup:

would a used amp be better? how do they break it?

i have a beat to hell and back stalker that flips like no other for a speed 7 like the witness.

i picked up an avenger ss but wasnt overly impressed with it and i do love my discraft. maybe i could give it another shot. it just seemed less controllable than a sw but maybe thats cuz i threw sidewinders for over 3 years and know them well

and thanks everyone for giving reasons and describing the flight and more characteristics about it than just a flight chart would.

would a used amp be better? how do they break it?

i have a beat to hell and back stalker that flips like no other for a speed 7 like the witness.

i picked up an avenger ss but wasnt overly impressed with it and i do love my discraft. maybe i could give it another shot. it just seemed less controllable than a sw but maybe thats cuz i threw sidewinders for over 3 years and know them well

and thanks everyone for giving reasons and describing the flight and more characteristics about it than just a flight chart would.

Witness is the same rim size as the Valk, says speed 8 but thing is a 1.9cm just like the SW, Valk, Avss.

elmex,

My bread and butter is the PD. Get a light PPD and a light SPD. Weights for understable are 165-167. I have a PPD that does hyzerflip turnover shots and rollers, and I have a SPD that will launch on huge controlled turnovers. The SPD is about three years old, but it'll cover that US slot forever. The key is 165-167. Note that both of these are seasoned and start out stable with fade.

I also threw a Star Firebird because of the inconsistency with CPDs, but recently put them back because of Jolly Launcher production CPDs. For reference, I probably throw 360-380 consistently with PDs.

Witness is the same rim size as the Valk, says speed 8 but thing is a 1.9cm just like the SW, Valk, Avss.

now i see that on infinite discs. whats the fade like on it? what would be its closest comparable to disc?

Out of the box, slightly seasoned Valk. Some turn and enough fade to not be squirrely. Straight shots, the thing turns and has enough fade to come back and essentially land on the same straight line you threw it. I am really looking forward to how this thing will season in.

elmex,

My bread and butter is the PD. Get a light PPD and a light SPD. Weights for understable are 165-167. I have a PPD that does hyzerflip turnover shots and rollers, and I have a SPD that will launch on huge controlled turnovers. The SPD is about three years old, but it'll cover that US slot forever. The key is 165-167. Note that both of these are seasoned and start out stable with fade.

I also threw a Star Firebird because of the inconsistency with CPDs, but recently put them back because of Jolly Launcher production CPDs. For reference, I probably throw 360-380 consistently with PDs.

this is my first year with the ppd so im thinking about beating on one hard to making that my US spot. i throw drivers in 168. im seeing a little more turn action on mine, but its no where near seasoned even. ive had it for a few months. im surprised with how well p plastic is holding up, and yes that is a good thing.

im just scared to beat one then lose it and have to start over again. i do like going straight off the shelf to replace one.

Out of the box, slightly seasoned Valk. Some turn and enough fade to not be squirrely. Straight shots, the thing turns and has enough fade to come back and essentially land on the same straight line you threw it. I am really looking forward to how this thing will season in.

youve described this disc pretty well. im really interested. is lucid the gold line like plastic?

edit-how far are you throwing

Last edited:
youve described this disc pretty well. im really interested. is lucid the gold line like plastic?

Lucid is the champ like plastic. I've made a small tester bag out of DD molds the past couple of weeks and have been nothing but impressed by them. The Lucid Witness is my go to driver because of its ability to hold multiple lines. I wish I had enough backups that I could just send you one to try out, but I only have my one.

It also glides, for days.

But it could also be relative, since we are very different people, the disc might work differently for you than me. But for me, seasoned Valk, not beat, but seasoned.

Lucid is the champ like plastic. I've made a small tester bag out of DD molds the past couple of weeks and have been nothing but impressed by them. The Lucid Witness is my go to driver because of its ability to hold multiple lines. I wish I had enough backups that I could just send you one to try out, but I only have my one.

It also glides, for days.

But it could also be relative, since we are very different people, the disc might work differently for you than me. But for me, seasoned Valk, not beat, but seasoned.

how far are you throwing the witness

how far are you throwing the witness

Average 310-320ish, last night I pushed it a little more into the 340 range. 340 was slight hyer, flipped up, tracked right, and faded landing more or less on the straight line I aimed at.

Average 310-320ish, last night I pushed it a little more into the 340 range. 340 was slight hyer, flipped up, tracked right, and faded landing more or less on the straight line I aimed at.

whats the wing look like or comparable to?

is it forehand friendly too?

The Amp will be what you're looking for out of the box. There's no break in period needed. It has a great grip for FH also, and has enough stability to not be too sensitive if you have a little OAT in your FH.

picture.php

picture.php

I'm not a forehand dominate player, but I have been working on better technique with sidearming putters. This thing is understable enough that it will punish you for torquing it. But if you are cleanish, you are rewarded, especially because of the glide.

Definitely feels like most Speed 9 rims, at least Innova wise. I only have Star Valks to compard it too though. Its similar enough to it. Also, no slant in the rim like a lot of Swedish drivers. I don't think any of DD's have that though.

Last edited:
If you know anyone with an Inertia you might want to try that out. Its slightly faster than your used to but IMO probably not enough that you would really notice. Plus MVP discs just feel great in the hand.

Latest posts