• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Neutral yet stable mid

Dr. Steve Brule

Bogey Member
Hi!

I am looking for something new to try out for a straight mid range shot that my putters won't cover. I'd like it to be as straight as possible with little fade but still be stable enough in the wind so that I don't need to worry about it starting to turn too much for me or atleast rely on it fading back unless I am really going for an anhyzer. Other qualities I'd appreciate would be durability and getting it to go straight on a relaxed throw for tight tunnel shots. I am currently hyzer flipping my putters(Anode) for tunnel shots.

I have experiences from the Fuse, MD2, Mako, MIDARi,Buzz, Roc, Ibex, Obex and Roc's and even though they are all good discs I would like to try something new. Gotta say I love the way my Fuse flies on such an effortless throw but its a bit too touchy for me to be used on anything else but on shots I really want to end up on the right.

Been mostly looking at the Alias, Axis, Truth and Warship for the time being but I hear the Trilogy discs are struggling with winds..:confused:

I throw discs a bit over 400ft RHBH but I do use flicks from time to time so I wouldn't mind a mid range suitable for that too!

Any mid that you want little fade from in calm conditions is going to get a little squirrely in the wind. Trilogy molds aren't any more suceptible than any other manufacturer.

My suggestion would be take one of the discs that you like the feel & flight of (buzzz or roc) & season it up. Beat it up and it will get straighter. Another bonus of this seasoning is that the disc will hold the stability for a long time.
Most mold that are dead stable out of the box (element for example) get unreliable quickly bc it already doesn't have much hookup or HSS.

Tangent does it for me. I don't find it understable at all, flies very straight from gentle hyzer release. I also use it in the wind without too much trouble. I pair it with either an Alias or a Eclipse Tangent for a little more stability.
I don't thing I throw quite as far as you though, so maybe the Alias would actually be what you are looking for.

Thanks for the quick replies!
I am well aware of what the Buzz and the Roc does and they are both good discs. I also have a rather flat CMD2 which is pretty close to the Buzz AFAIK. I just feel like trying something new and the companies that interest me the most for the time being are Trilogy Discs and MVP/Axiom. I am not too keen on seasoning plastic in order to get the flights I want. For example I've been driving and putting with Anodes for a couple of years now and they are still flying like they were new. If the Alias is a straight flying disc I could see it staying that way for a year or two atleast. :)

You'll want to try the Claymore for tunnel shots. It's a tad more stable than the Fuse and the glide is excellent.

You'll want to try the Claymore for tunnel shots. It's a tad more stable than the Fuse and the glide is excellent.

Can you compare it for me to the other Trilogy discs like the Warship,Core and Truth? I haven't ignored the hype it has gotten but I forgot to add it on my options as it's not released yet. Anyone know when it should be out? I love the stamp.

If you like the Fuse you might want to try a GL Core. I have been using that as my straight mid for years, but it won't fight a lot of wind but it is very straight (for me). Two other interesting straight mids are the XT Atlas and 400g M4. Both are challenging the core for straight - M4 is slightly less stable while Atlas is slightly more stable (for me). Again, these are both relatively straight in calm conditions and slight HW conditions. Any serious wind and you'll need something beefy.

Gravity ghost. Pinnacle ghost is good too, slightly more os though.

yeah i was going to mention the Ghost as well .. like you mentioned prob needs to be in the lower line plastic.. the pinnacle Ghost may be a bit beefy for what he is wanting .. but hell grab one of each and give em a shot :p:p

They are pretty similar, with ghost being easier to find in a nice flat dome. Profiles nearly the same. The flight of my fresh dx is slightly more os than a fresh gravity. The kc pro is more os than the pinnacle by a fair amount. In retrospect perhaps not your cup of tea. Looks like you want something somewhat understable. Either that or you are asking for two different discs.

so is my Obex. It's a nice disc but it has a bit too much fade on powered down tunnel shots and I'm guessing so does the Roc3 unless it's seasoned.

That would be correct. the roc3 thrown with light speed and spin is pretty stable. however high speed and spin and slightly beat in will fly straight as an arrow.

Latest posts