• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] New discraft?

The Z banger is an excellent very stable approach and driving putter. It has a very different feel in hand than a cryztal challenger.

The zombee, stalker, cyclone, and xl are legitimate fairway drivers with 1.6-1.7 rims. They feel like tweeners because none are as fast or high speed stable as a teebird which is what people often desire. They also feel like tweeners because the buzzz is fast with a lot of glide for a stable-ish midrange and that is what they are most often compared to.

Some of the discs I think discraft would be smart to attempt would be a surge that is a hair faster and more stable/a force that turns a little brand new (similar to a destroyer) and an xl that is a little faster and doesn't turn/a slower, less overstable avenger (similar to a teebird). Other than that they definitely have plenty more molds than a company "needs" already.

Super over stable crystal wasp would replace my want for a crystal hornet. But glad to see I'm not the only one!

I think one thing Discraft does--which is commendable--is they realize that their overstable drivers can simply be beat into understable drivers. For that reason, they don't release understable drivers willy-nilly like Innova. They understand that people can simply beat in a Force instead of buying a speed 12 disc that is made to turn right. For this reason, I think they don't need to make very many new discs. They just need to educate the public on how to use the discs they already make.

With that being said, they still need to innovate and improve. They don't want to follow the path of Lightning discs. 3 or 4 new discs a year is more than enough by my standards. Also, I think instead of making new molds, they should make discs they already have in plastics that aren't in mass production. I think Ti is a sweet plastic, and they should make it in more molds. Ti Zones, anyone?

It says on their "Huck This" blog that the Ti line will be expanded in 2013 with the Comet as a possible candidate. Not sure if the fact that they might have to scrap or sell off a bunch of Emac wasps' and PP Stalkers will hinder that (actually,that might even be profitable for them if people are going to try and collect those discs).

I would like to try a Ti Comet,Surge, and even a Challenger for approach shots (possibly,I dont know if I like Ti Force, but I love my ESP,Ti seems more OS).

I wish they would make a ESP Surge SS too.

I'd like to try a Ti Surge, Glo Surge, and Ti Zone.

Also on my list for them to make hopefully, are Cyclone in any plastic other than esp, x and pro d (Ti, Cryztal, Z, Glo)

I wish they would make a ESP Surge SS too.

Well, as far as that goes, you should look into a Proline DGA Rogue.

Rogue Surge SS

Diameter 21.1cm 21.1cm
Height 1.7cm 1.6cm
Rim Depth 1.2cm 1.2cm
Inside Dia 16.8cm 16.8cm
Rim Config 28.25 29.25
Rim Thickness 2.15cm 2.1cm
Rim Depth/Dia 5.7% 5.7%

Not quite identical, but I doubt the differences would be noticeable. Also, if memory serves me correctly, the Surge/Surge SS rim thickness is actually about 2.13/2.15cm anyway.

From Facebook:

Justin Hale:
Discraft: Do you have any plans on releasing a new disc model soon?

Discraft Disc Golf:
Thanks for asking Justin. Unlike our competition, we don't crank out a bunch of new models every year regardless of their quality. We scientifically engineer our designs, then test and test and test some more... We have been working on one particular new distance driver for over a year! So yes, we have plans on releasing a new model (probably in spring), and we hope you feel like it was worth the wait.

------------------------------------------------

...Probably an stable to understable, "throwable by ams, easier to grip than a Nuke but just as far" speed 12 disc...

(From November)

From Discraft's Facebook page:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Q of the D: considering super fast, wide-rimmed distance drivers like Nuke and Force, choose your #1 opinion:

I love them!

PDGA should allow wider -- thus faster -- rims

Not a fan, too difficult to control

Not a fan, too difficult to grip

I use them occasionally, they're ok.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Speculation:

A major complaint from a good number of players is that the Nuke rim size is too big and uncomfortable to grip.

(I used to think this until I found a very beat ESP Nuke at PIAS. It's a hyzer-flip bomb machine, but you knew that.)

I've often thought Discraft should / will go after Innova's Destroyer for its combination of speed, distance, throwability, and (most importantly?) rim / grip size.

Of course, Force is a speed 12, but is not backhand "throwable" by most Ams and people not named Nate Doss, especially in Z plastic.

A throwable speed 12 driver would fill the speed / distance gap between Surge (11) and Nuke (13). They won't call it Nuke Jr., but that's kind of the idea, I would imagine. Most likely, they'll call it Warhead, Rocket, Bomb, Bomber, etc. to fit with Nuke.

It's only a matter of time.. Maybe..

Well, as far as that goes, you should look into a Proline DGA Rogue.

Rogue Surge SS

Diameter 21.1cm 21.1cm
Height 1.7cm 1.6cm
Rim Depth 1.2cm 1.2cm
Inside Dia 16.8cm 16.8cm
Rim Config 28.25 29.25
Rim Thickness 2.15cm 2.1cm
Rim Depth/Dia 5.7% 5.7%

Not quite identical, but I doubt the differences would be noticeable. Also, if memory serves me correctly, the Surge/Surge SS rim thickness is actually about 2.13/2.15cm anyway.

To me a rogue is like a slightly beat up surge when brand new. And when it beats in. It's like a surge ss. It's a good disc, I love throwing mine when I slap it in my bag lol.

Discraft always releases new stuff at The Memorial, which is 4 weeks away. My guess is that this year won't be different.

They've been silent lately. Any new discs on the horizon?

If you change the plastic you change the disc.

Discraft's new D plastic is sweet. I have only seen it in the Rattler so far but it is only a matter of time.

id be down with a ti zone or ti extreme....im interested in any new driver comparable to the destroyer. like the surge a lot and would love to see it molded with ti plastic.

Hammer, your avatar reminds me of when I used to try and watch scrambled Playboy on cable when I was a kid. You know it's something attractive, but you can't quite make it out.

Well didn't Ti Comet win the Discraft facebook poll after DCGR's crowd found out that Discraft had a poll on their page asking which mold throwers most wanted to see get the Ti treatment? Maybe we can even see a MJ signature Ti Comet without the inflated pro lineup?

Hammer, your avatar reminds me of when I used to try and watch scrambled Playboy on cable when I was a kid. You know it's something attractive, but you can't quite make it out.

Lol...so true.

Any chance blue rattlers have been spotted in the new d blend?

Any chance blue rattlers have been spotted in the new d blend?

All of the Rattlers at Marshall St are the new blend. Not sure if there are any blues, but the yellow (chartreuse) I got there is wonderful and has proven itself to be fairly durable with my noodle arm.