• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

new driver

I'm not taking sides or anything, but.....

I didn't hear about these Beto or Blake guys until I came to this forum. I haven't really used any of the techniques until a couple recently. I figured a lot of it out on my own. What I didn't figure out on my own, I got from local pros including Uli and Ginnelly. I have posted a couple videos of myself, offered some of mine own advice at time, and asked for advice from the forum. I was never told that my way was wrong, that I had to use a certain method, or that it was Beto's way or the highway.

Just from my experience, most people here have been very helpful and encouraging.......with the exception of a select few. I honestly think the two arguments here are pretty compatible. I think it is just the way people talk about it, is what gets some folks riled up. I can understand it.

I think the point we're trying to make is kind of what you just said: everybody is different. Everybody throws a little differently. The thing that's similar in everyone's throws, though (the ones who throw over 400', at least), is the hit. Beto's video isn't trying to show you what to do to lead up to the hit, it's not telling you the exact way you have to swivel your hips at 00.79 seconds into your run-up or anything like that, it's just trying to help you find the hit more easily. You can't argue that Beto's vid isn't the only way to throw, because it isn't even showing a way to throw. It's showing how to find the hit more easily.

My 0.02.

Stupid question coming in........why do they call it "the hit"? And will it make my discs fly less gay in a place that lacks air moisture?

You guys want some privacy to make out? :gross: The post count is the only credentials around here. No one cares if you can actually carry out the advice you're giving. Why would you give advice that you suck at? It's a bunch of buddies supporting each other and their tips to make their circle greater. Get real, fellas.

LOTS of people can't carry out advice they give. You can have full understanding of something but be the most uncoordinated person ever (this goes for any sport).

So what's the other method that's incompatible with the hammer pound drills and building your throw from the hit back that's even easier? People like to say that what we're saying isn't the only way, but I haven't seen anyone give an easier method that excludes the methods we're suggesting.

this is what I have asked like 8 times, and the only real responze I have gotten is "I keep my arm straight, a (nameless) 1000 rated pro showed me how.

Just like professional pitchers throw a ball with different mechanics, so do disc golfers throw with different forms. That doesn't mean the same principles that makes a curveball break or a fast ball appear to rise don't need to be incorporated into every pitchers' stuff, regardless of their larger mechanics.

The entire backbone of the Blake/Beto philosophy is that everyone is different, and everyone will have a different looking throw. If you bothered to read any of the literature behind the video you would know that.

There is so much hyperbole in your summary of the argument that it looks like you don't really understand what the argument is...or that there really isn't one. We all know people learn differently. You haven't provided an alternative method other than trial and error yet, and I can tell you that the Blake/Beto method is much better than that for most people.

I also said this too.

But I guess I need to keep jerking off to the Beto video in order to get better, because someone online with no other credentials besides he said he throws 400' thinks the way I have accomplished things wont work for everybody (which I think is true. I know everyone is different and learns in different ways.). But he won't propose an alternative besides "I keep my arm straight, that must mean everything you know is wrong."

The thing that's similar in everyone's throws, though (the ones who throw over 400', at least), is the hit.QUOTE]

I've seen plenty of people throw over 400' without having that "hit" area.

The hit refers to the last part of the throw, and it is tendon bounce, the disc ripping, wrist extention, etc.

You can't really see when people hit it. The way you can tell is how far their discs go. I'm gonna wage people throwing 400' with something speed 9 and down are at least hitting some of it (half hitting most likely).

The hit "area" as you refer to it is really in everyone's throw in some way. it doesn't have to be by and after the right pec. It can be as low or lower than the knees, and as high as the neck.

LOTS of people can't carry out advice they give. You can have full understanding of something but be the most uncoordinated person ever (this goes for any sport).

DG doesn't take a lot of physical ability to be good, unlike a lot of other sports.

this is what I have asked like 8 times, and the only real responze I have gotten is "I keep my arm straight, a (nameless) 1000 rated pro showed me how.

http://www.discraft.com/team_duncan.html

I also said this too.

But I guess I need to keep jerking off to the Beto video in order to get better, because someone online with no other credentials besides he said he throws 400' thinks the way I have accomplished things wont work for everybody (which I think is true. I know everyone is different and learns in different ways.). But he won't propose an alternative besides "I keep my arm straight, that must mean everything you know is wrong."

I told you who to ask if you want to know something about me. This is/was never about whose way is better. It was about if the Beto video needs to be everyone's way to practice.

The hit refers to the last part of the throw, and it is tendon bounce, the disc ripping, wrist extention, etc.

You can't really see when people hit it. The way you can tell is how far their discs go. I'm gonna wage people throwing 400' with something speed 9 and down are at least hitting some of it (half hitting most likely).

The hit "area" as you refer to it is really in everyone's throw in some way. it doesn't have to be by and after the right pec. It can be as low or lower than the knees, and as high as the neck.

You didn't answer my question regarding gay disc flight and humidity. :|

Stupid question coming in........why do they call it "the hit"? And will it make my discs fly less gay in a place that lacks air moisture?

If I'm not mistaken, it's because Feldberg coined the term - and he's all about that kinda stuff (trademarking, coining terms/concepts, etc.)...not talking sh*t about the guy or anything, he's a friend, and he's right because we're on here calling it that.

Unfortunately it will probably make your discs fly WAY FURTHER GAY than they do :p

He goes into detail in the "Play the Champions Way" DVD.

Also D, I agree with your previous post and I didn't mean to make it seem like everyone is on Beto's junk...just some people. In principle I agree with what Bergdawg is getting at - that it's not the only way to learn how to throw or even necessarily the best way (IMHO the above-mentioned DVD does it better). However I also recognize that it is a viable way to learn and it has helped people.

I think people need to quit flaming each other and recognize there's plenty of ways to learn to throw - people like DStearns, myself, Bergdawg, and many others didn't benefit from seeing the Beto video for whatever reason while Triflusal, Garu, Josh, etc. got plenty out of it.

Let's just end this thread, we've already ruined it.

Last edited:
Hehe, jtacoma, nice edit message.

I agree with you also (i know, i know, my opinion doesn't matter)

Hehe, jtacoma, nice edit message.

I agree with you also (i know, i know, my opinion doesn't matter)

:) In the grand scheme of things we're all on the same team. As long as we let open debate happen then new methods of teaching will be developed and refined and disc golf will be better because of it.

Let's just agree to disagree on how to teach the game and agree that everyone here loves the same game - and at least we're trying to make it better.

*strums the acoustic guitar around the campfire*

This is/was never about whose way is better.

You sure about that?

Who is this Blake feller? Like I said before, people have different backgrounds in sports, what they're comfortable with and what they prefer. What might work and be easy for one person might not work with another. I sound like a broken record...

What am I the best example of? And, yes, I do say fella. My ego needs stroked? Trifusal is the one who is refusing to believe there is anyway to disc golf besides what he does and beating off to the Beto video religiously. I'm sure he'd be on his knees if he ever had a face to face encounter with him.

You're just as big of an idiot as they are. I never said the Beto way isn't going to help you. THEY'RE REFUSING TO THINK ANY OTHER WAY IS ACCEPTABLE. I really don't understand why they just won't admit that it isn't the only way, probably because they haven't even been playing a year.

Here's how it's gone:

"You don't need to use this video to be any good, there are other ways."

"This is why the video is good, here is why it's so good. The only thing I'm going to argue is that this video is good. I'll never say any other forms or practice will work."

repeat.

Some dude even said it hasn't been around long enough to be tested well enough. 7-8 years to develop into a good player. You're an 1/8 of the way there, Trifusal. :thmbup:

Easier? that's all relative to the person. Like I said, people have different backgrounds in sports, what's comfortable etc etc. What's easy or easier for one person may not be the same for another. Someone may benefit from practicing the "hit" some people may benefit more from doing a whole throw for warm ups. Kind of like saying there's only one way for a pitcher to warm up and practice.

Do you ever go to any of the Ames leagues?

:p

jt - really trying to shut this down...c'mon man.

You didn't post him contradicting himself anyway, so this is just gonna add fuel to the fire and he's gonna come back nuclear...can we just call it? The OP left the discussion long ago.

Mods can we get a lock? All useful debate has been said and it's just bickering now.

jt - really trying to shut this down...c'mon man.

You didn't post him contradicting himself anyway, so this is just gonna add fuel to the fire and he's gonna come back nuclear...can we just call it? The OP left the discussion long ago.

Mods can we get a lock? All useful debate has been said and it's just bickering now.

Sorry. :eek: I couldn't resist.

I tried to give useful help and he disregarded it. I'll satisfy myself with laughing now.

You're just as big of an idiot as they are. I never said the Beto way isn't going to help you. THEY'RE REFUSING TO THINK ANY OTHER WAY IS ACCEPTABLE. I really don't understand why they just won't admit that it isn't the only way, probably because they haven't even been playing a year.

Here's how it's gone:

"You don't need to use this video to be any good, there are other ways."

"This is why the video is good, here is why it's so good. The only thing I'm going to argue is that this video is good. I'll never say any other forms or practice will work."

repeat.

Some dude even said it hasn't been around long enough to be tested well enough. 7-8 years to develop into a good player. You're an 1/8 of the way there, Trifusal. :thmbup:

Total bull****, every word. No one said it was the only way, you sound like a seven year old exagerating the truth. You're all butthurt over them calling you out. Quit whining.

I think I would rather trust Blake T., Beto and the brains over at DGR rather than you or some other Joe Shmoe. Everything I have read there and tried has made me improve. I would not be where I am today without discing down and the right pec drill, among other things.

I'm officially done with this thread now. :hfive:

"I think I would rather" is different than refusing. Give me credible evidence with thorough and near scientific research about your throw, such as Blake has done.

The only thing you have told us about your throw is that you keep your arm straight. Why do you feel it works better for you rather than a more conventional technique?

"I think I would rather" is different than refusing. Give me credible evidence with thorough and near scientific research about your throw, such as Blake has done.

The only thing you have told us about your throw is that you keep your arm straight. Why do you feel it works better for you rather than a more conventional technique?

I'll just leave all that other bull**** alone. Since you asked me about my throw, I'll respond. I explained it more in depth in another thread. I throw like that because it's comfortable for me, more consistent than the other throws and most importantly, my personal preference.

As far as scientific research goes, I let baseball do that for me. The difference between an infielders throw and an outfielders throw. An infielders throw is more like the bent elbow method where you're relying on snap and more of a direct line where you start your throw and where you finish it. An outfielder keeps his arm long and wide creating as big of an arc as he can, building the speed up as he moves along the throw.

I know that baseballs and discs fly totally different, but the principles of the throw are the same.

Latest posts