• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] new equipment survey

Are you people serious? In would definitely pay so that I didn't lose discs anymore. If I could save time looking for discs, save money replacing them, and save more time waiting for the replacements to beat in like the lost discs. That would be awesome. Especially since not all discs are replaceable. I mean sure lose a DX Valkyrie no problems but lose a ten time Teebird and that's kind of an issue for some people. And I don't think it's really relevant but I've been playing for about five years so I wouldn't call myself a "new player". In fact I don't think I know any players that don't have a disc that they really wouldn't want to lose.

^^^The risk of losing a disc is part of the game---a bit of personal gambling against Mother Nature, so to speak.
If you're losing discs often you must suck at dg as bad as you suck at literacy. I suggest you take up bowling: its really hard to lose your ball.

Last edited:
^^^The risk of losing a disc is part of the game---a bit of personal gambling against Mother Nature, so to speak.
If you're losing discs often you must suck at dg as bad as you suck at literacy. I suggest you take up bowling: its really hard to lose your ball.

Really?
The pros:
Embed an RFID chip in your disc that costs about 4 cents per unit.
Attach a 20-30$ RFID reader to your Iphone and have an App that works like Hot and Cold game, beeps louder/faster as you get near your disc.
Not see where your shot went at dusk? save 2 minutes of hunting around for it.
Not have a clue where your disc is in 30 feet of barely penetratable thorns? Save half a pint of blood at least knowing roughly where it is before you wade in.
Lose your favorite driver that's perfectly seasoned on a shot that was ALMOST perfect but happened to nudge an iron leaf and rocket 75 feet in an unknown direction? No more swearing and buying 7 other wraiths to find another one that flew like the first damn one.

Cons:
Having a smug elitest throw a shot in thorns and poison ivy in a tournament round and having to help him look for it because "We don't need no stinkin' Disc GPS!" Well, at least we're happy that you can insult with the best of em on an internet forum.

Seriously man, you might be too good to need it but for the rest of us mortals it would save us a hell of alot of time and aggrovation and would not cost you a damn thing.

There's some chinese students at MIT working on such a system too, and if it ever went mainstream and was practical it would be about 6 months before everyone would wonder how they ever lived without it.
Sometimes technology is a GOOD thing.
I don't know if the disc companies would go for it, it might cost them a little sales, but RFID stickers now come as small as candy "dots" and probably weigh half a gram. Could just take em off for tournaments until PDGA catches up with progress.

Sorry, I really can just not understand your point of view at all. Something that helps other people that no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to use is win/win.

(part of the problems to be solved is that most "passive RFID" chips only work at fairly short range, readers are available but there aren't any apps written for them yet for that purpose.. but HELL YES I'd shell out the price of a couple discs for something like it.)

Last edited:
Are you people serious? In would definitely pay so that I didn't lose discs anymore. If I could save time looking for discs, save money replacing them, and save more time waiting for the replacements to beat in like the lost discs. That would be awesome. Especially since not all discs are replaceable. I mean sure lose a DX Valkyrie no problems but lose a ten time Teebird and that's kind of an issue for some people. And I don't think it's really relevant but I've been playing for about five years so I wouldn't call myself a "new player". In fact I don't think I know any players that don't have a disc that they really wouldn't want to lose.

I didn't even think about OOP/collectors discs, good point. It's just as bad with production discs too, especially certain makers who might as well not even label half their discs, sometimes I feel like it's a crapshoot if the replacement disc I buy will be anything like the original, even when they're the same run from the same store.

The only disc I lost last season was one that went in the pond at deer lakes, unretrievable because of park rules, but we've all probably spent hundreds of hours looking for discs (ours and other peoples) over the years if you play courses with heavy underbrush. And I can't think of one time it's ever been fun.

Discbeeper already exists.... Nah I'm good.

You got me all excited for a minute there, I'd done a fair amount of research in the past on RFID systems, but that's an entirely different item, and doesn't seem like something destined to be really practical or something most disc golfers would really want/need. The advantage with RFID is that it is small enough to be able to imbed in in the plastic of the flight plate or can be purchased as sheets of small stickers and would be easy to put on entire disc collection. It's also "Set it and forget it," you'd simply register each sticker serial number in your phone (The MIT students are going the direction of a standalone device with directionfinder as well but would probably cost more) and then forget about it unless you actually need to locate a lost disc. The stickers are about the size of a small price sticker eith a small dot size bump in the middle and a 20 pack was like 2$ or something in bulk for warehouse inventory tracking systems. With the size of a golf disc, could probably imbed a bigger antenna in the flight plate (think the old cell phone antenna booster stickers they sell that you used to stick to the back of the phone or battery) and literally weigh next to nothing.

Discbeeper thing looks like it might be cool for stealth night golf though :clap:

You could also pretty much give away stickers to all your regular playing buddies too and even if they didn't have the phone/reader/app you could find their discs for them too since the only thing less fun then looking for your discs is looking for someone else's.

Last edited:
throw in the fairway.. problem solved

I should have thought of that.
I forgot on the internet every single shot everyone's ever thrown has always landed on the fairway. How silly of me.
I'll have to remember that next time I'm neck deep in thorns looking for my discs and find one with a name like ohtobediscing or discgolf4lif3 so I can smile.
And of course no one's ever had to look for a card mate's disc even though they themselves are perfect.

Gotta love the internet, this is one forum I'd love to see people post their real names more often. If as many people I meet on the course acted like they do on the internet I never would have started playing in the first place.

Seriously, would you tell a complete stranger that to his face right after he tossed a bad shot off the tee in a tournament? And how long do you think you'd be walking around with all your teeth if you did?

25 years of disc golf and 99.9% of the actual people you meet are the nicest guys in the world, yet even on a disc golf forum 50% of the people come across as total douches. Are ya proud?

(In all fairness that's probably about 30% less then most other internet forums, and a ton of people on here do seem exactly like all the nice people DG is all about about. And I really should know better by now then to get sucked in by the trolls. It's just hard sometimes.)

Last edited:
Upon further reflection I've decided I was wrong. Disc golf should just be played on courses where no one can possibly lose a disc. No blind baskets, no bushes, flat as a board and everyone on the course must watch and spot everyone elses shots. That'll teach me not to want something the real pros are too good for.

I can't think of anything that Casual Squishy said that isn't on the money. I'll add one more reason, though...no, make it three:
1)Fall leaves. I wasted at least two hours this past Fall hunting discs that were well thrown and on the fairway, but skipped under leaves, or landed out of sight due to elevation and landed in leaves. So, I walk away from a Champion Viking rather than hunt for it for 20 minutes? Yeah, right... Better still, have technology help me. :thmbup:
2)Ooops, already mentioned elevation. :eek: Playing alone where there is a lot of elevation... 'Nuff said, I hope.
3)Long grass. 300' away and more, can you really see exactly where your disc landed when the grass is fairly long? I can't... :\

Latest posts