• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Feature: Hole Tips!

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Just finished this up a few minutes ago. If you go to the Hole Info. tab for a course you'll notice a new sub-tab, kind of like the Photos/Videos thing under the Media tab.

The idea here is that you guys can share tips for playing specific holes so traveling players, etc. can get a clue as to what the local line is, what to watch out for, shot preference, etc. Whatever might help them out. If a hole has a tip, there will be a little light bulb icon next to it on the Hole Info. page. Your own tips will show up in orange to make them easy to find and/or update. You'll also find the light bulb icon on on your dashboard in the "Played" list. Clicking it will bring up the holes you've given tips for at that course.

You can also vote on tips although the vote count is not shown, it is used to calculate the order the tips should be shown in so that the most helpful ones rise to the top. Also, you must have a course marked as played (duh!) to be able to add tips.

If you run into any bugs and/or issues please let me know. I may still play with the layout a bit as far as the hole info. page goes but I'm hoping the code part of it doesn't blow up :)

Last edited:
I'll probably make an achievement for it at some point.

I used to do this under the captions for the photos I would upload telling how the hole played... I was told not to :(.

Here's an idea. When you're on the hole tips screen it would be cool if the picture shown to the left corresponds to the hole you're looking at.

Very cool though, I like it.

Here's an idea. When you're on the hole tips screen it would be cool if the picture shown to the left corresponds to the hole you're looking at.

Very cool though, I like it.

Cool idea. I'll make it happen later.

Awesome, thanks for all you do!

wow, he never stops! :clap:

Not seeing a way to display it via the mobile site, which as a traveling player I would find quite helpful. :)

Can this feature also be used to instruct out-of-towners on things like course secrets (safari suggestions like "play from 16's tee to 13's basket if you desire more length on this hole," to use an example from my home course; or to give other recommendations on adding alternate ways to play a hole, like mandos or optional OB)?

^ and if I may suggest that if you DO add mobile capabilities, merge it somehow with the photos feature (I guess similar to what was suggested earlier in the thread, just -- mobile).

Also, maybe an indicator as to the user (the one leaving the tip)'s particular throwing style -- RHBH, etc.

This site is moving too fast for me.:p I just checked out the new course page features yesterday, now I gotta check out the hole tips. It never stops...It's madness.

I like the idea of this. Anyone want to make sure that all the worlds courses have a bunch of tips for every hole? Thanks NCians!

Latest posts