• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] New Gateway driver or 80's thrash metal band?-Slayer

Really.

From Gateway's FB page:

Our new disc the "Slayer" is pdga Approved

Gateway Disc Sports resubmitted the Slayer for PDGA testing. The new disc samples passed all PDGA tests, so I've added it to the list of PDGA-approved discs. This disc is now permitted in all PDGA competitions, although formal certification will be made by the Board of Directors at their next meeting. Test measurements are listed below and a photograph of the disc and an updated list of approved discs are attached.

Slayer
Certification No.: 11-28
PDGA fee: $300
Outside diameter: 21.0 cm
Inside rim diameter: 16.4 cm
Height: 1.7 cm
Rim depth: 1.2 cm
Rim thickness: 2.3 cm
Flight plate thickness: 0.2 cm
Flight plate to rim plane distance: 1.5 cm
Flexibility rating: 9.75 kg
Rim configuration rating: 30.00
Maximum weight allowed: 174.3 g

DISContinuously,
Jeff Homburg (#1025)
PDGA Technical Standards Chair

This was just the disc I wanted Gateway to release. Not. This will probably be the biggest flop ever, with their plastic inconsistencies. And I'm sure the speed "14" is just marketing. :wall::wall:

I would say...Pics or it didn't happen. But it did happen. I still want to see pics.

hmm You gotta remember that Gateway doesnt use the same numbering system as the big guys so 2.3 CM, what would that be? Speed 10/11/12?

From Gateway's FB page:

This was just the disc I wanted Gateway to release. Not. This will probably be the biggest flop ever, with their plastic inconsistencies. And I'm sure the speed "14" is just marketing. :wall::wall:

If I don't like the disc I won't use it; I don't understand the negativity.

It's just a dumb idea. Instead of releasing new discs (and especially not high speed drivers; there are way too many of those already) they should be working hard on making their discs more consistent.

"my life is really boring so i fake outrage over "speed 14" discs, because gateway should put out more putters, and i wanna look cool in front of the DGCR Disc Down crew." is what you really should have posted in one big run on sentence

"my life is really boring so i fake outrage over "speed 14" discs, because gateway should put out more putters, and i wanna look cool in front of the DGCR Disc Down crew." is what you really should have posted in one big run on sentence

I wasn't faking it. :)

I never said Gateway should put out more putters; the ones they have are awesome. See my last post.

And I can count all the warp speed drivers on the market right now that are hurting noobs' games if you want me to.

they're not "hurting noobs".. most "noobs" are out there to have fun like the rest of us. the ones that eventually start taking it seriously will venture out and learn what they should be throwing and how to throw it. the ones that don't are still having fun

they're not "hurting noobs".. most "noobs" are out there to have fun like the rest of us. the ones that eventually start taking it seriously will venture out and learn what they should be throwing and how to throw it. the ones that don't are still having fun

Noobs can have just as much or more fun throwing discs that actually help them. Most high speed drivers are just out there to make money off of noobs who buy them thinking that the discs will instantly add 100' of driving distance. Instead, they're meathooks. So even if they don't actually hurt the noob's game, they certainty don't help.

Back on topic. Anyone here a tester for the Slayer?

I'm also a little disappointed about the over-saturation of new high speed drivers but I think it's just the competitive nature between companies, everyone has to have the fastest, furthest flying disc out there. But honestly, there shouldn't be so much criticism against companies for trying to innovate and come out with something better than their previous models, what do you want them to do, never make an attempt at creating a disc again? Criticizing is alright at times, especially when directed towards a new product that is completely ridiculous, like the nighttrain bag from no excuses. :p

^ Then again, those are gateways numbers. I'm pretty sure their ratings are completely different from other companies, which is the case with almost all of the dg manufacturers. I would wait on a review from someone whose thrown it before trying to make judgements on it.

people will stop complaining when course development parallels this trend in high speed drivers. courses are going to be longer, too. it will all work out in the end.

No sane person would say "hey, all those brand new warp speeds are selling extremely well, so lets do something else."
This is necessary for Gateway to stay competitive, and its barely "warp speed" anyway; 2.3cm is xcal rim size
The last disc they called a speed 14 was the Speed Demon, and thats like a 10

Latest posts