• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] New Gateway driver or 80's thrash metal band?-Slayer

What about the Assassin? It's far from terrible.

I always forget about the Assasin. Is that another mold that changes each time they mold it up. The reason I ask is because people seemed pretty high on the mold for a while and then stopped talking about it. I tried one when they first came out I liked it but it didnt make the bag over similar molds I already carry.

I'm in the same boat as you about carrying it. I did get one as the extra disc in one of their facebook deals, and the disc is as incredibly domey as my old one, but it's a little gummier.

I always forget about the Assasin. Is that another mold that changes each time they mold it up. The reason I ask is because people seemed pretty high on the mold for a while and then stopped talking about it. I tried one when they first came out I liked it but it didnt make the bag over similar molds I already carry.

Have they even made Assassins since breaking with Quest? The only Gateway drivers I've seen on the shelves since that split have been the new Speed Demon Ls, Spirits, Apaches, Savages, Blazes, and (if you want to count it) the Ninja.

I've seen assassins in the bins of a local guy who buys from the factory and sells local. Look like new runs. It's the same mold as the old assassins, it appears, just garbage plastic on 75% of them. R-Pro-esque ding and done stuff. But the pictures of the slayer, the plastic looks like some of the old illusions = rock hard and bulletproof. Tough to tell from a picture, obviously.

I've seen assassins in the bins of a local guy who buys from the factory and sells local. Look like new runs. It's the same mold as the old assassins, it appears, just garbage plastic on 75% of them. R-Pro-esque ding and done stuff. But the pictures of the slayer, the plastic looks like some of the old illusions = rock hard and bulletproof. Tough to tell from a picture, obviously.

Rproesque makes me think SRP, which makes me think OLD stock.

I asked Dave directly about GDS buying the mold for the original Inferno from Quest when the companies split, and he said the molds Quest uses are not comparable to his equipment so even if he had the mold he couldn't use it. I was kind of surprised because there were those Z Sabres Discraft ran a few years back, but Quest apparently uses a completely different set-up than most disc golf companies with aluminum molds that are cheaper to make but are not very durable. I was told that is why Quest doesn't have a high-end Champ/Z plastic, that the molds can't handle the heat from the denser plastic. Anyway, because of the mold situation I've always assumed the Quest still makes the Assassin and Diablo DT. Both of those discs still turn up around here on an intermittent basis.

None of which has anything to do with the Slayer, of course.

I guess what I'm hearing is that if this disc can be something that flies like a Destroyer and Nikko puts it in his bag, then it's a step in the right direction for GDS. If it turns out to be an inconsistent disc where you have to go on a search and destroy mission to find the good runs, it will be same old-same old from GDS. Time will tell.

I was looking to get an Assassin from the FB deal, but they said they didn't have any available.

Being out of stock is pretty common for Gateway. They tend to run out of stuff, mostly drivers. They keep a pretty good stock of putters, though.

There are some discs they have that if they were a big company like Innova they would just run and keep around. I'm thinking Hybrid, which is a pretty good disc that Dave likes but it just doesn't sell. I'm pretty sure that if business took off to the point that GDS was rolling in cash, the Hybrid would come back. It's just not a big enough company to have a lot of slow-selling discs lying around.

What is the hybrid? I'm guessing it's a "hybrid" between a mid and driver or something, but I haven't heard of them. Can you give some history? Do you have any pics of the profile?

Gateway says this about the Hybrid: The Gateway Hybrid is a cross between a fairway driver and a long range distance driver. It is fast enough and has the glide for long low-ceiling shots and has excellent forward penetration and good high-speed turn with a dependable low-speed fade.

I've never seen one.

Thank you. I was a fan of Strikers until I found PDs. If I weren't sitting on a major car repair right now, Marshall Street would be sending me a package tomorrow! Sounds like they'll still be there when I've recovered though.

I don't know if this has been thought out before in this thread but maybe Gateway was going for a driver that could be similar to the Destroyer as Nikko throws almost all Destroyers for distance shots. Like ThreePutt said, if Nikko puts the slayer in his bag then it would only lead to more sales for GDS.

Just some more in depth pics for those who asked

Attachments

• DSCN2095.jpg
    DSCN2095.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN2098.jpg
    DSCN2098.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN2099.jpg
    DSCN2099.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts