• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie + fast discs = annoying

skippy0420

Eagle Member
Alright, I JUST started playing and I have the following 3 discs to start. I can throw the P&A and FW but the Driver just doesn't fly so good. Did I pick up something a little too fast for my 'first' driver?

Aviar P&A DX - Can throw very well

Leopard Champ - can throw it quite well and goes well past the Aviar

Pro Starfire(SL) - I have a feeling I bit off more than I can chew on this disk. I believe it requires better technique than I have to make it 'work'. Does not go past the Leopard very often(hit and miss)

Any suggestions on how to practice to get better on the driver or is it best to just keep throwing, throwing and throwing.

I am RHBH

I would suggest watching how the pros throw on Youtube. Just watch their technique. Also make sure you are throwing level. If I were you, I would go get a light DX Valkyrie until you get some more technique because the Starfire will bite hard on a RHBH.

Don't use the starfire yet unless you need to make sure you have a good hyzer turn. Lots of practice is required to learn how to get good rotation and speed on your discs to get those higher speed discs to work as intended. Practicing bad form won't get you any better though, make sure to watch tons of video on people who know how to throw. Beato's video on youtube is the best I've seen so far for learning good practice techniques and how to drive for distance. I've added a good 60-80 feet to my drives in the last month after watching his video and putting it to work (you have to be really patient with the early parts as you won't be throwing the disc far).

I would suggest watching how the pros throw on Youtube. Just watch their technique. Also make sure you are throwing level. If I were you, I would go get a light DX Valkyrie until you get some more technique because the Starfire will bite hard on a RHBH.

Good advice hear. Valk or Sidewinder would be my suggestion. You could go with a Road Runner but that is far to understable to teach a person to have a good, flat throw in my opinion.

Yes, I have watched the Beato video and it's very informative. I think I have watched all possible vid's on the net.

The two guys I played with last weekend are throwing with NO approach and just working on the arm swing and release with elbow and disc position. I think I am going to begin there for my first few rounds as I only played once(that is how newbie I am).

I didn't want to pick up another disc just yet but a DX Valk would be right up my alley for price. The Lep I have is 171. Suggestion for the Valk?

The SL will stick around for when I get better. I can't wait to play tomorrow. Round #2! :)

added the g's
Aviar P&A DX - 174
Leopard Champ - 171
Pro Starfire(SL) - 175

Last edited:
If you want to get good fast, go to a field and throw putters and midranges all day.

I might toss in a midrange somewhere, like a shark. Mid-range practice helped my game more than anything. Sidewinder was my first driver above a fairway driver. And I didn't toss it until I felt comfortable throwing the leopard and eagle. Now wishing I would have gotten a light dx teebird alot sooner than I did.

IMO, you're best off staying away from discs that are even as fast as a Valk until you're pushing that 320' distance with your fairway driver. A stable putter, stable mid and "workable" fairway driver (if you want something else besides the Leopard a D Cyclone or Polaris LS would be something good to try), will help teach the fundamentals as well as anythng.

I might toss in a midrange somewhere, like a shark. Mid-range practice helped my game more than anything. Sidewinder was my first driver above a fairway driver. And I didn't toss it until I felt comfortable throwing the leopard and eagle. Now wishing I would have gotten a light dx teebird alot sooner than I did.

Exactly. Put the Starfire in the closet and get a stable midrange such as the shark to go along with your aviar and leopard. Play with just those three for a little while. Then add the light dx teebird.

Heavy midranges usually are fine (175 to 180). Personally I throw a 177 and 178, but anywhere in that range shouldn't be too bad. Most midranges aren't too picky. The shark is a good one. You'll probably be able to putt long range with it.

EDIT: any plastic will be fine. You may hold on to it for awhile so star wouldn't be a bad idea, but then again you may not like it and want to try another, so a DX first is probably the best choice.

roc roc roc all day long, roc roc roc while I sing this song
gonna whoop that ass
gonna make it shine
gonna beat you down with this roc of mine

roc roc roc all day long, roc roc roc while I sing this song
gonna whoop that ass
gonna make it shine
gonna beat you down with this roc of mine

Some people love rocs, some love buzzzes, others love something else entirely. I would still suggest a shark first since you sound like an entry level player and won't need the harder fade for awhile.

Alright, I JUST started playing and I have the following 3 discs to start. I can throw the P&A and FW but the Driver just doesn't fly so good. Did I pick up something a little too fast for my 'first' driver?

Aviar P&A DX - Can throw very well

Leopard Champ - can throw it quite well and goes well past the Aviar

Pro Starfire(SL) - I have a feeling I bit off more than I can chew on this disk. I believe it requires better technique than I have to make it 'work'. Does not go past the Leopard very often(hit and miss)

Any suggestions on how to practice to get better on the driver or is it best to just keep throwing, throwing and throwing.

I am RHBH

The putter is popular and works for most. Okay there.

Use the leopard for your driver.

Buy a shark, Cro, buzz (I cannot believe I just typed that) in about a 170 and start with DX unless you intend to stay with it.

These are great to start and will not bum you so bad you want to quit. Once you have more snap and speed then use a faster driver.

In the mean time learn to flick (sidearm) and you will love the starfire.

Last edited:
Why would you suggest a more stable disc?

My wife uses a Leopard as her driver and is getting into the 250s now...sometimes she outdrives me (I almost always use a mid though).

When you start stretching that Leopard out to 300' or so move up the line but stay around the same in stability.

Latitude 64 Vision is a heck of a driver for those with "weak" arms.

Try to master the Leopard before you move on to more overstable or faster discs. Watch some vids of pros is helpful to get a rough idea for technique. Need to get the basics down then you'll have a better understanding of what it will take and what to expect when you throw more overstable or faster discs.

SL is heading to the garage.
I will look for a Shark this weekend.

Any plastic or is DX just fine for me?

Weight?
I'd recommend DX (or D or whatever the manufacturer's equivalent is). It's easier to control and most slower drivers were designed to be made in those types of plastic.

I'd go mid to upper 160's for weight to start.

Latest posts