• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie needs forehand advice..please

Yeah some of the local pros around me suggesting discing down and just driving putters i was able to quickly find my flaws and better my driving... so i would suggest starting with putters in a field...

i started to drive with putters a few years ago and it helps straighten things out .......when i first started i went RHFH on every drive because every time i did backhand it hurt my shoulder

ohh i know it's my form. i just wanted to know what is the best disc to learn to throw FH out of the discs i have now. or do i need to buy another one?

CWALBINO has good advice, it helped me at one point.

Banshee - Sidewinder - TeeBird - Valkyrie - Beast - Firebird

The underside lip/rim of the disc of good side arm discs all have the same thing in common...

Search this place for sidearm threads, lots of good info.

I had your problem until I went to a field and realized that I wasn't 'flicking' it(sort of a whipping motion w/your wrist) immediately before release. Once I realized I needed to do this, it took ~1 hour at the field before I was hitting low, straight 280-300' shots more than I wasn't. I drive w/170 teebirds.

Keeping your elbow tucked in close to your hip is important as well, for me at least, it helps translate the rotation of your hips into velocity on the disc.

I'm sure the more rigorous techniques/drills yield better results, just sharing my newb/quick-fix experience.

In my experience I have found that the disc matters but more important is having a few of the same to practice with in a field. If you throw 5 discs and they do 5 things it's partly the disc flight you are seeing. If you take 5 KC Pro Rocs and they do 5 different things you have problems.

My forehand drives 300-365 are a huge part of my game. I feel like learning this shot is a tremendous advantage in tournament play. Not to mention the short game side effects.

If you ask me get a stack of putters and learn how to throw hyzer, flat and anhyzer at a target. Work it into your short game and over time you will gain the strength and confidence to throw longer and longer shots. The distance is all about being able to hit your angle and accelerate the disc.

Latest posts