• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Next Gen Tour... LIVE

Boy, talk about something I completely forgot about.

I wonder how many spots they actually sold.

Looks like 70 players. 72 was the cap. Reasonable to call it a success.

I was referring to all of the preliminary rounds, which qualified people for a regional championship, which qualifying there got you into this event. Weren't they supposed to get 12 folks from each of those?

I was referring to all of the preliminary rounds, which qualified people for a regional championship, which qualifying there got you into this event. Weren't they supposed to get 12 folks from each of those?

Top 8 from each Regional Championship earned invitations to the National Championships (9 regions X 8 players = 72).

It was top 12 at each preliminary that advanced to the Regionals. Looks like they averaged 75 players per Regional tournament (144 player caps)...high of 116 and low of 42.

They certainly didn't max out, but they had some solid attendance numbers for the second year of the tour and the first with this format. It will be curious how much they'll be able to carry over into next year, particularly in the way of sponsorship.

I had totally forgotten about this and it just happened to be on my YouTube recommended. Crazy stuff at the end. Thank you Smashboxx for bringing this to us live. :thmbup:

I thought Terry was going to literally slap that guy for not laying up at the end. He was seething.

I think he also wanted the tourney to end. 6 holes of a playoff and losing daylight. That thing could have easily rolled into the water. I think Terry would have screamed.

Can't confirm yet, but I heard the winner was penalized a bunch of strokes for missing his tee time in an earlier round. Otherwise he would have run completely away with it.

Can't confirm yet, but I heard the winner was penalized a bunch of strokes for missing his tee time in an earlier round. Otherwise he would have run completely away with it.

Makes sense. They mentioned he was 12 strokes behind, and Terry joked about his new car having a clock that works.

Yes, Chris's phone apparently didn't change time zones or something and he missed the first 3 holes on day 1.

And everyone says, "Oh, he would have ran away with it!". But, you play differently when you are desperate as opposed to when you are the favorite. He may not have pushed nearly as much early. Or the pressure of playing with the top guys for 4 rounds instead of just the finals could have changed things completely. We have seen these semi-pro guys fold like a napkin under similar situations in the past.

In the end Chris played lights out when he needed to and deserved the win. And after winning, you could truly see him overcome with emotion. That isn't something we see a lot in the pro ranks.

I uploaded JUST the finals to it's own separate video on SmashBoxxTV's YouTube page. Go seek it out and watch the last 40 minutes or so. It was a roller coaster and one of the best battles I have seen since Wysocki/Sexton at the Majestic.

Is the guy that won only 14?

No...Silas Schultz was the 14 year old player and he took second place. I spoke to him on Saturday and he is mature beyond his years and has an arm on him. He threw an MD3 on hole 14 and parked it during the second round on Saturday. I am sure Louisiana is proud of you Silas. Big things are ahead of you.

Cannot wait to hear this guys reasoning for running that last putt when ya'll have him step inside the smashboooox on Tues.

Cannot wait to hear this guys reasoning for running that last putt when ya'll have him step inside the smashboooox on Tues.

NO KIDDING! My only thought is that he didn't know that Silas actually went OB? He wasn't paying attention or something? I was YELLING at the screen, and Terry was virtually yelling at him on the course.

NO KIDDING! My only thought is that he didn't know that Silas actually went OB? He wasn't paying attention or something? I was YELLING at the screen, and Terry was virtually yelling at him on the course.

Right! Terry, saw him lining it up and about had a heart attack. Then he hit the pole and that thing started moving. If it would of rolled in the water I would of lost it.

My assumption on his reason...he's an am. Yes, a very good one on the verge of going pro, but still an am. Some ams (hell, some pros) aren't into the mindset of doing anything but playing all out aggressive all the time. I imagine his mindset to make up the 12 penalty throws was to be as aggressive as hell, it clearly worked for him, and either he couldn't or wouldn't turn it off when playing safe was the smart thing to do.

Or maybe he was just trying to put on a show, Paige-Pierce-style, and wanted nothing to do with laying up for the more camera/crowd friendly tap-in.

I would consider sportsmanship the primary part of his calculus on going for it similar to Johne and Sexton going for it on 17 at USDGC, especially since it was a playoff. I think most of us would prefer to win a playoff with our skill versus having it handed to us, given a choice. By making that putt, he wins it outright even without Silas' OB penalty. I suspect we've all seen or experienced bad luck trying to lay-up at times. (But personally, I think I would have tried to slide my putter upside down to the pin ;))