• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Next step up from a Leopard?

Got a beat in Star 153g Sidewinder arriving tomorrow...given to me by a board member!!!

My plan is to have my bag set with: this Sidewinder, Teebird, Leopard, Comet, Stratus, Roc, Mirage, Pure, and putter.

TripleB

That sidewinder is pretty beat it really should be an excellent disc for ya, please give us your findings after ya toss it!;)

Went out to a baseball field today and worked on my form for about 2 hours with various disc...most successful day I've had in finding out what a solid throw feels like. Using much of what has been suggested to me here on my form I really gained a lot of consistency and length with my disc.

I start on the balls of my feet, start my first steps slower than in the past, use the X step now, left-right-X with left-good stride with right, right foot more left of target than I had been (board member here said my left toe and right heel should line up towards target so that's what I tried to do today), and pull disc across my body. I feel like I'm getting much more power behind my shots by adding the X step and having my body turned more towards the left.

I know it's working because today I threw my Comet X about 25 feet further than I threw my Leopard 3 weeks ago. I didn't measure it today but I'm guessing about 255 feet dead straight with my Comet X today.

That being said I'm not ready for a 10 speed disc yet (at least at the weight I used today): I tried an Avenger SS 164g X-Line since I was throwing well and it landed about 20 feet shorter than my Leopard. I also tried a 158g Star Tern that went further with a better flight than the Avenger, but again, no further than my Leopard.

Tried my 165g Sidewinder DX and it flew slightly further than my Leopard and I loved the flight of it. Can't wait to try the 153g beat in Star I should be getting very soon.

I still miss my Leopard3....thinking of getting a Star or GStar Leo3 in the 163-167g range....although with my speed improving maybe I should try the River in Opto. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I love seeing progress and love sharing my progress....especially since many of you are the ones who have guided me to the strategies that have increased my progress so much faster than what I would have gained on my own!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

TripleB

I still miss my Leopard3....thinking of getting a Star or GStar Leo3 in the 163-167g range....although with my speed improving maybe I should try the River in Opto. Any thoughts?

If you liked that Leopard3, just get another one and build on the progress you made. (Though I understand the pull of that glidey Swedish plastic.)

Good job on putting in the work and congrats on making progress.

Yep, get another Leopard3. River has the potential to be frustrating. Not a bad disc at all, but I'd stay the course.

I've had lots of Leopards in different plastics and they all flew like Leopards. Some a little more stable of course, but none were freaks.

I have owned 3 Rivers, every one was something different (may have just been my luck, or lack there of). To be honest, I have no Idea what a true River is really supposed to fly like!

I'd try and FD (and have) before I would ever go near another River.

I've had lots of Leopards in different plastics and they all flew like Leopards. Some a little more stable of course, but none were freaks.

I have owned 3 Rivers, every one was something different (may have just been my luck, or lack there of). To be honest, I have no Idea what a true River is really supposed to fly like!

I'd try and FD (and have) before I would ever go near another River.

It wasn't your luck haha, I had four rivers none even close to each other in stability. They ranged from hyzer flip to roller (more flippy than a thrashed dx San Marino stingray), to almost teebird overstable. I threw two In the river fittingly lol and gave the other two away. Picked up some ce qjls and never looked back.

I've had 3 Rivers in various plastics and they are not at all alike. The one I have now is frost or whatever their bubble tech is and it's the most overstable of the three. If you throw it right it glides like nobody's business but get that nose up and you have a newbie hyser. I thought I read it's for beginner players but I'd have to disagree with that.

If you liked that Leopard3, just get another one and build on the progress you made. (Though I understand the pull of that glidey Swedish plastic.) Good job on putting in the work and congrats on making progress.

Thank you very much! I love working on something when I see improvement...and with everyone's help here I'm seeing improvement by leaps and bounds!!!

Rivers are a lot more nose angle sensitive, IME, than leopards
Yep, get another Leopard3. River has the potential to be frustrating. Not a bad disc at all, but I'd stay the course.
I've had lots of Leopards in different plastics and they all flew like Leopards. Some a little more stable of course, but none were freaks. I'd try and FD (and have) before I would ever go near another River.

Thanks for the advice....looks like I should go with the Leopard3. :D

My Leopard3 was 168g in the DX plastic. Should I go with the DX again at 168g or maybe a better plastic at possibly a lighter weight in order to get the same flight out of the better plastic (I assume DX is the least stable DX plastic)?

Again, I appreciate everyone's help and patience!

TripleB

Before you buy something in GStar, find a GStar disc in a store and see how it feels to you. I don't like GStar; other people do.

I agree with others to feel Gstar, it is gummy and less stiff than Star.

I was never able to get a chance to feel the GStar plastic in a store so I decided to give the Thunderbird a try in the GStar plastic.

I completely understand what each of you were saying about this plastic. It does have the grip I like but the floppiness of the disc makes it feel completely foreign when I throw it. It's almost as if it is deforming as I'm pulling it across my body during the throw and I'm just not getting a clean release with it.

I'll definitely keep working with it but right now (maybe it's because I'm used to mostly DX disc) I'm not finding a lot of love for the GStar plastic...my Star Tern feels a lot better in the hand.

TripleB

It's almost as if it is deforming as I'm pulling it across my body during the throw and I'm just not getting a clean release with it.

I'll definitely keep working with it but right now (maybe it's because I'm used to mostly DX disc) I'm not finding a lot of love for the GStar plastic...my Star Tern feels a lot better in the hand.

TripleB

Yeah it'll take a little bit perhaps. I don't mind it at all for backhands and I love how a lot of Gstar discs fly. In forehand I do find the flexibility a bit weird for pinching my thumb through the flight plate, especially if it is a domey Gstar disc. But, just trust that people with more power can still bomb less stable Gstar discs, so spend some time with it and try to ignore how it feels. It may take a few sessions to get used to it or to ignore it completely. Gstar Thunderbirds can fly real nice so hopefully you'll see a good flight or two out of it, then get consistent with it and forget all about the grip issues. Some people do just hate Gstar, but in general intermediate level players love it because it flies so well....actually like the flight numbers for the most part.

I was never able to get a chance to feel the GStar plastic in a store so I decided to give the Thunderbird a try in the GStar plastic.

I completely understand what each of you were saying about this plastic. It does have the grip I like but the floppiness of the disc makes it feel completely foreign when I throw it. It's almost as if it is deforming as I'm pulling it across my body during the throw and I'm just not getting a clean release with it.

TripleB

Yeah it'll take a little bit perhaps. I don't mind it at all for backhands and I love how a lot of Gstar discs fly. In forehand I do find the flexibility a bit weird for pinching my thumb through the flight plate, especially if it is a domey Gstar disc. But, just trust that people with more power can still bomb less stable Gstar discs, so spend some time with it and try to ignore how it feels. It may take a few sessions to get used to it or to ignore it completely. Gstar Thunderbirds can fly real nice so hopefully you'll see a good flight or two out of it, then get consistent with it and forget all about the grip issues. Some people do just hate Gstar, but in general intermediate level players love it because it flies so well....actually like the flight numbers for the most part.

It was the Thunderbird that started my dislike-fest with GStar. My GStar Thunderbird was just inconsistent and felt way too gummy. I got a Champ Thunderbird, and it flies very well; I bag it when my home course puts the baskets in certain positions. My Star Thunderbird is one of those really-overstable discs that people have talked about.

I saw some GStar Mysteres in the store, and boy! was I tempted to get one... But that GStar plastic just felt too soft in my paws, so I could not pull the trigger, just could not do it...

So I'll leave the GStar plastic to those who like it, and I'll throw Star and Champ discs...

This thread is still going? Don't you have a Roadrunner yet?

I just responded to it because I wanted to let them know I finally tried the Gstar and had a similar experience to what they had mentioned about it.

Not yet...I did renew my love for the Sidewinder a couple days ago so bringing back out the 153g beat in Star Sidewinder a board member sent me a while back.

TripleB

Looking for a Trilogy disc that will give this 300' Leopard3 DX 167g straight as an arrow (although once beaten in just a little my original Leopards turned over) thrower a bit more distance with the same straight as an arrow flight.

Which of the following might be my best bet?
168g Opto Saint
168g Opto Fury
168g Lucid Escape
159g Opto Air Flow
168g Lucid Renegade
169g VIP Northman

Considering my DX Leo3 is 167g, it seems like it might be between the Opto Air Flow (for the lighter weight in a higher speed disc) or the Opto Fury (for the similar weight and understable like the Leo3) or the Opto Saint (some have said it flies less stable than it's numbers.

Thanks for any input!!!

TripleB

Looking for a Trilogy disc that will give this 300' Leopard3 DX 167g straight as an arrow (although once beaten in just a little my original Leopards turned over) thrower a bit more distance with the same straight as an arrow flight.

Which of the following might be my best bet?
168g Opto Saint
168g Opto Fury
168g Lucid Escape
159g Opto Air Flow
168g Lucid Renegade
169g VIP Northman

Considering my DX Leo3 is 167g, it seems like it might be between the Opto Air Flow (for the lighter weight in a higher speed disc) or the Opto Fury (for the similar weight and understable like the Leo3) or the Opto Saint (some have said it flies less stable than it's numbers.

Thanks for any input!!!

TripleB

Yes, the Saint will season into being less stable than its numbers, and would be a good choice here.

Hear me now and heed my words later: the Fury, no matter what plastic you get it in, will become a very understable turnover disc. I mean that on an RHBH throw, that disc will turn right and keep going right. I like the Fury for being that turnover disc, but it's not going to stay straight for very long at all.

I have GL Flows, but have not tried an Air Flow. I have read here and elsewhere that the Air Flows are more overstable than Opto Flows. I don't think the Flow is going to be what you want relative to the Leopard/Leo3, anyway.

The Renegade is a good disc, and is faster and should be longer than the Leopard3. I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Latest posts