• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night golf!

I wouldnt go. I went one time and lost a disc that said it was glow in the dark. It wasnt too fun anyways.

Duct tape leaves residue and isn't good in the wet snow. 3M electrical tape FTW. :hfive:

Everybody, you can stop searching for the best way to play night golf. I have been reading these forums for a while, and the suggestions I have read to play at night pretty much are:

-Use glow discs
-Use glow sticks with your preferred type of tape (presumably on champ plastic)
-Use LED's

When using these options, you can:
-Use a black light to find the glow disc
-Take a picture to 'activate' the glow disc
-Use a LED flashlight to 'activate' the glow disc
-Use a glow stick on see thru plastic.

OK. Here is my point. Are you guys taping your lights to champ see thru plastic so you can see the light? Well, I came up with the awesome idea to tape the LED disc golf light to a glow disc. OMG you can see that thing a mile away. Is this what glow discs were intended for? Because it sure seems like a match made in heaven. Seriously wondering if I am late on the bandwagon or a genius.

I might have to give that a shot (LEDs on glow discs that is). I think that I used the glow sticks on the top and bottom of my glow Aviars and wasn't happy. That's why I went to the LEDs on Champion/clear plastic. But I am really happy with this setup as is.

Night golf at Buffalo Ridge is a whole different animal. Climbing a mountain and dodging cactus make for an interesting experience.
As for the actual set up--LED lights and 3V watch batteries are the best bet. However, neither are cheap (especially the batteries). Your best bet bet is to buy the batteries on line in bulk. Just have a a few guys who night golf regularly, pitch in some cash and buy a box or case of batteries. Radio Shack will cost you about $2 a battery so it's not a good deal.
Clear duct tape is also the best bet--packing tape lasts one or two holes at most in the AZ dust.
I also agree with the technique of taping the light to the battery, THEN taping the combo to the disc. Much less chance of a blinking, or completely malfunctioning light. Just be sure to tape the battery as close as you can to the center or your disc will fly a little strange.
Most of all, just have a pantload of fun!!
If you're ever in Phoenix--every Tuesday night at Buffalo Ridge!!!

^ Why? Just use Disc Golf LED's on glow plastic! Simple! Cheap!

Oh, and stretchy medical tape works the best for me. I have never had to re-apply it, and I have had a disc land in water. So it works!

^ Why? Just use Disc Golf LED's on glow plastic! Simple! Cheap!

Oh, and stretchy medical tape works the best for me. I have never had to re-apply it, and I have had a disc land in water. So it works!
The problem w/ glow plastic is getting it "charged" up. The glow doesn't last that long. Our group is usually 6+ people (we've had up to 14), so we take a long time. Glow plastic tends to fade, plus it an be very difficult to find in the many, many shrubs which grow at Buffalo Ridge. My group has tried it all--one guy even broke open a glow stick and rubbed the liquid on his disc--LED's and batteries work more consistently.
As for the medical tape--that might work, but I still have nearly a whole roll of clear duct tape in my bag, so I'll use that up before trying something else!! :)

^ Am I not making any sense? Disc Golf LED's are battery powered and all contained in one unit. No cords or weird nonsense. Just an LED light taped to a glow disc. It keeps the glow constantly charged. No habla?

A friend of mine has this Fly By Night disc with a groove all the way around the rim that perfectly snaps one of those long glow sticks into it. I don't think they are PDGA approved but I sure wanted one the night we played a glow round.

I did a Google search for them and came up with and came up with nothing so I don't know if they still make them or what.

Night golf at Buffalo Ridge As for the actual set up--LED lights and 3V watch batteries are the best bet. However, neither are cheap (especially the batteries).
This is the way to go as far as set up, for the batteries though go to a dollar store and look for anything they have the uses and includes 3v batteries. I found four packs of little light up candles that used 3v. That was four batteries for a dollar. I bought them out 20 batteries five bucks.

^ Am I not making any sense? Disc Golf LED's are battery powered and all contained in one unit. No cords or weird nonsense. Just an LED light taped to a glow disc. It keeps the glow constantly charged. No habla?
Oh those.
They are quite abit heavier because of the containment. I borrowed one to use one night, couldn't make it do sh*t. I have much more success w/ the other method. Plus part of the fun is hangin out before the round starts, lightin' up and talking trash.

The ones your talking about... do they have an on/off switch or something? And do they have replaceable batteries? Easy is good for me... if it works.

The beacons work great but the price is 3.00 to 3.50 a piece when leds and a 3v are 1.00 to 1.50 each so the leds and a battery can save you money depending on how much you spend on batteries. The led battery method will last longer than 24 hours to.

The beacons are 3 dollars, simple, convenient, and really light weight. When you drop them, they fall like paper (slowly). And if saving a dollar fifty is a concern for you, perhaps you should drop the disc for a while and make some more money!

I mainly just throw my glow buzz...otherwise ill strap on a beacon.

Ive seen these nice circle led clamp lights that were put around the middle of the pole. They worked great, and you could see every basket from the tee no problem. I dont like using flashlights, they really mess with your eyes when you turn them on and off. Sometimes ill use a camera flash from my phone to charge a disc for the hole. But those uv flashlights do work really nice. I usually just tape the little led lights to the disc. Or you can use mini glowsticks or light up led lights for fishing. Havent played glow in a while, I need to soon, its soo much fun. My first tourney was a glow one and I actually shot better during the glow round lol.

Latest posts