• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko 360 during competitive rounds

How often do they land in the mowed fairway and not in the grassy knoll?

Often. The year of the BGO where Nikko and Will played, every 360 drive landed in the fairway and around the 600' signs. The other year I spotted (Avery, Nate, and Dion Arlyn), I would say maybe one didn't but was close.

Dave Cox has thrown a 360 drive every time I've seen him throw the hole too. I believe Blakely has as well for fun, but I don't remember him doing it in an event.

Seeing everyone the year Nate, Avery, and Dion competed throw on 1, none of them threw 360s, but they all drove the hole.

Last edited:
I've seen several pros do it on 15 at Idlewild.
That might be one of the only holes I've done it on in a tournament. 3'ing that one at Disc n Dat was easily the longest three I've ever had. You can REALLY get a ton of extra acceleration on your arm with a 360. If you're really maximizing on your power through your core, it is worth it. I'm generally nowhere NEAR accurate with that thing.

Often. The year of the BGO where Nikko and Will played, every 360 drive landed in the fairway and around the 600' signs. The other year I spotted (Avery, Nate, and Dion Arlyn), I would say maybe one didn't but was close.

Dave Cox has thrown a 360 drive every time I've seen him throw the hole too. I believe Blakely has as well for fun, but I don't remember him doing it in an event.

Seeing everyone the year Nate, Avery, and Dion competed throw on 1, none of them threw 360s, but they all drove the hole.
I think seeing Avery go over the top on (I THINK) hole 10... The one that is a straight to dogleg wayyyy right, basket on a downslope? I think he got a 3 out of it, was within I think 45-50 either way. That may have been the best throw I've seen.

That might be one of the only holes I've done it on in a tournament. 3'ing that one at Disc n Dat was easily the longest three I've ever had. You can REALLY get a ton of extra acceleration on your arm with a 360. If you're really maximizing on your power through your core, it is worth it. I'm generally nowhere NEAR accurate with that thing.

In the two years I spotted on 15, I think I've only seen Nikko 3 it despite everyone else having somewhat easy putts (for pros).

I think seeing Avery go over the top on (I THINK) hole 10... The one that is a straight to dogleg wayyyy right, basket on a downslope? I think he got a 3 out of it, was within I think 45-50 either way. That may have been the best throw I've seen.

I've heard of him carding a 2 on 10 by doing that. You have the right hole, but the basket is in front of a downslope and well protected by the third bunch of trees. He tried it the year I spotted on 15, but he hit trees early and had to scramble for a 4 (I think). He had a pretty rough round in general. He completely missed going over the top on 5 (ended up almost on 6's tee), but so did everybody else on that card, including local Matt Blakely.

That GBO is the one experience I have with Avery, but he was pissing and moaning most of the round about how the course was in terrible shape. I know his problems on 10 were part of that. No one that I've ever seen takes that route so he took the road less traveled and didn't get lucky. I found it funny that he didn't FH around the bend and have a wide open approach for an easy 3.

Last edited:
That tourney at Idlewild was a blast. Those rounds were LONG, like 5+ hours each. Avery was not in the right mindset and got caught in his own head I think. He told me the story of how he deuced 2 and I believe it, the hole is set up for that shot but it is super risky.

That long deuce on hole 1 is perhaps my favorite memory of that event! No 360 required :)

I will use the 360 on a few holes at Milo, since there is plenty of space. During my early pro days I used the 360 a lot. I was very accurate with it, and could even pipe some long woods holes. I don't really use it much anymore during tourney's though - It takes lots of practice to keep accurate and I just don't have the time.

Unbelievable distance he is getting using this
I haven't seen any other players doing this during actual competition

I was shocked he did it multiple times during the DDGC on Dg monthly at brandy wine and more amazed that he actually eagled hole 18 which is basically unheard of and quickly becoming legendary round these parts

Anyone ever truly tried to master this 360 craziness

I wrote an article about the 360 for the Discgolfer mag a few years back. It is the edition with Jesper on the cover. If you ever find a copy it is near the back of the mag.

I heard he was being a smart ass about this at the Oak Grove tourney and said he was going to ACE the hole and took a 4 instead. Smacked a tree way left about 50 ft out...

That tourney at Idlewild was a blast. Those rounds were LONG, like 5+ hours each. Avery was not in the right mindset and got caught in his own head I think. He told me the story of how he deuced 2 and I believe it, the hole is set up for that shot but it is super risky.

That long deuce on hole 1 is perhaps my favorite memory of that event! No 360 required :)

I will use the 360 on a few holes at Milo, since there is plenty of space. During my early pro days I used the 360 a lot. I was very accurate with it, and could even pipe some long woods holes. I don't really use it much anymore during tourney's though - It takes lots of practice to keep accurate and I just don't have the time.

Watching you deuce 1 was quite a feat. Nikko did it the year before but drained around a 125' putt to get it. You were inside the circle.

if your going to post a youtube link post the specific time. im not sitting through an hour long video going to look for 5 seconds of relevant footage to this topic

or ya know, scrub to the end-ish of the video because it was on hole 18. i had zero trouble finding the shot with about 7 seconds of searching in the video.

In the two years I spotted on 15, I think I've only seen Nikko 3 it despite everyone else having somewhat easy putts (for pros).
I don't know if you spotted the year I got it in three shots (2009), but you made me rethink what happened. And the more I think about it the more I recall overshooting the green. They played very relaxed greens that year, and missing 10 didn't require a drop zone, just a drop where it went out. If I remember the green correctly I was able to play for a 4p from within 15 feet of the basket. Thanks for jogging the memory, sometimes it needs someone to give it a Fonzie-tap.

I've heard of him carding a 2 on 10 by doing that. You have the right hole, but the basket is in front of a downslope and well protected by the third bunch of trees. He tried it the year I spotted on 15, but he hit trees early and had to scramble for a 4 (I think). He had a pretty rough round in general. He completely missed going over the top on 5 (ended up almost on 6's tee), but so did everybody else on that card, including local Matt Blakely.
Hole number 5 is one of the most fun holes to go over the top on. I think the biggest appeal of Idlewild for me is the fact that there are some great eagle'able par 5s on that course. I feel like I wind up with some of my most memorable hole scores out there, of any course. In `09 I think I had that 4p on 10, and 3's on 5 and 14.

Of course I think I also had a 6 on 13, and par'd 4. :p Just plain one of the most fun places in the world to play because of how it both challenges you to execute simple shots and gives you opportunities to do crazy do-able things.

I was spotting in 09, I believe. I was probably spotting for the tee instead of the approach. Dan always plays Idlemild rules for the BGO. As long as the rounds take with relaxed OB, I can't say I blame him.

5 is a great hole. I don't have the power to go over the top so I have to fight through the landing zones, but I love how different it plays across power levels. I never believed people talking about carding 2s until I saw someone go over the top. Blew my mind. It made me stop looking horizontally on tees and start looking vertically as well.

I'm not quite sure what penalty you would get on 10. It's 200' to a 90 degree right then 300' to the pin. I think you mean 11 (with the "Y" tree)? If so, that is definitely an easy putt from the drop zone. The drop zones seem to be pretty forgiving in general out there. 3's is equally short.

13's easy to pick up strokes if you hit a tree off the tee. It's thinned out quite a bit from when I first started throwing there, but it's still brutal.

A 3 on 14 long is an accomplishment! So much tight uphill followed by another right to a well-protected green. Big kudos to you. I am not nearly the player you are, and I'm happy to have carded a 4 on it. Still looking for my 4 on 6.

I was spotting in 09, I believe. I was probably spotting for the tee instead of the approach. Dan always plays Idlemild rules for the BGO. As long as the rounds take with relaxed OB, I can't say I blame him.

5 is a great hole. I don't have the power to go over the top so I have to fight through the landing zones, but I love how different it plays across power levels. I never believed people talking about carding 2s until I saw someone go over the top. Blew my mind. It made me stop looking horizontally on tees and start looking vertically as well.

I'm not quite sure what penalty you would get on 10. It's 200' to a 90 degree right then 300' to the pin. I think you mean 11 (with the "Y" tree)? If so, that is definitely an easy putt from the drop zone. The drop zones seem to be pretty forgiving in general out there. 3's is equally short.

13's easy to pick up strokes if you hit a tree off the tee. It's thinned out quite a bit from when I first started throwing there, but it's still brutal.

A 3 on 14 long is an accomplishment! So much tight uphill followed by another right to a well-protected green. Big kudos to you. I am not nearly the player you are, and I'm happy to have carded a 4 on it. Still looking for my 4 on 6.
When I said 10 I kept meaning hole 15. I don't know why I said 10 - my brain keeps confusing those two. So the 4p was 15 with an overthrow of the island green, not talking about 10.

And yeah - on 14 it was at the time a roadrunner hyzer flip that ran way up high and then turned slightly right following the trail. Followed by a roadrunner on a very deep hyzer forehand that flipped up to almost level and glided out to the right up toward the pin. Finished with a 25-30 footer for 3. That was a good card - I remember I absolutely needed that 3 to get a stroke on anybody on my card.

And as for 5... I'm going over the top on a prayer for a 3. All I know is that if I f up going over the top, unless it is a really bad wind - I'm still getting a 4. Pitch out to the fairway area and toss up the hill/trail. Going low? I usually am struggling to pull that 4 out. :p

Latest posts