• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

nine hole courses and pdga sanctioned tournaments

Is this worth looking in to at all from a players perspective? I'm running a local event in October - I doubt any of the locals care if it is sanctioned or not, might likely scare them away to know it's a "real" tournament and they have to wear shoes and can't drink beer. So likely I'll keep it underground, but curious to other's thoughts, maybe it could draw in some outside players and show this town what disc golf can really be about (as we're trying to make the push to expand to a full 18 holes).

Is this worth looking in to at all from a players perspective? I'm running a local event in October - I doubt any of the locals care if it is sanctioned or not, might likely scare them away to know it's a "real" tournament and they have to wear shoes and can't drink beer. So likely I'll keep it underground, but curious to other's thoughts, maybe it could draw in some outside players and show this town what disc golf can really be about (as we're trying to make the push to expand to a full 18 holes).

I think you answered your own question, depending on what your ultimate goal is. If it's to organize a tournament for the folks who already frequent the course and you think they'll bristle at the notion of sanctioned play, then keeping it "underground" as you put it is probably the thing to do. If you want to draw out-of-towners, sanctioning probably gives the event more weight in their eyes.

The tipping point might be how involved the property stewards (parks dept?) are in the event. Are you seeking their permission or involvement? Thoughts of expanding with some temp holes for the day? Sanctioning might lend some credibility in their eyes, plus the cheap insurance doesn't hurt either. If you're going more guerrilla style with regard to the parks department or the town, sanctioning won't really matter.

Good luck either way.

Minimum for a round is 13. I've added 4 temp holes to a 9 hole course to do a 3x13 format that works well.

Lunacy X is my PDGA sanctioned B-Tier held on two nine hole courses in Longmont, CO.

We play each course twice for 36 holes the first day and a final round of 9x2 on a harder layout the final day. We have filled it every year, this year it filled in 30 minutes and we currently have 38 players on the wait-list.

Eagle has played it. Joe Rovere is the current champ. Scott Stokely, Don Smith and players from 6 different states have signed up in the past few years.

So yes, you can not only field a 9 hole course in a sanctioned tourney, you can put on a great show if you do it right!

Lunacy X is my PDGA sanctioned B-Tier held on two nine hole courses in Longmont, CO.

We play each course twice for 36 holes the first day and a final round of 9x2 on a harder layout the final day. We have filled it every year, this year it filled in 30 minutes and we currently have 38 players on the wait-list.

Eagle has played it. Joe Rovere is the current champ. Scott Stokely, Don Smith and players from 6 different states have signed up in the past few years.

So yes, you can not only field a 9 hole course in a sanctioned tourney, you can put on a great show if you do it right!

Agreed. I am running eight sanctioned events this year and my favorite is at a nine hole course. There are two tee pads and two baskets on every hole (except hole #9 which is on a peninsula) so players have 34 different tee shots in 36 holes.

Glide likes it so much that he actually plays in the occasional tournament there! Thanks for getting your rating back up so you can't bag in Rec. The course in Evansville is very well done (thanks Pat and Mark) and is a great model of what you can do in a smaller park. Much better than shoving 18 mostly mediocre holes in just to say you have 18.

Noticed a local pdga sanctioned tournament posted on a 9 hole course where they plan to play 18 holes, but only pass through the 9 holes once (playing the hole twice simultaneously). Find it hard to believe that's even legal.

Noticed a local pdga sanctioned tournament posted on a 9 hole course where they plan to play 18 holes, but only pass through the 9 holes once (playing the hole twice simultaneously). Find it hard to believe that's even legal.

So each card plays two drives off the tee, and finishes out from each tee shot? Unconventional to say the least, and potentially a bit more confusing, especially if time searching for lost discs could be an issue.

But in and of itself, I don't necessarily see anything that should cause it to be against the rules or unsanctionable.

Not sure I'd like the idea as a player, but maybe I'm too old fashioned.

I wonder if live scoring can actually accommodate that. My guess would be not. I assume the motivation for doing it is to have the field be larger than 36 (or 45 if they are allowing silly fivesomes).

Has occasionally been done in Scandinavia starting around 5 years ago for PDGA and other leagues so rounds after work can get done before dark. I think they try to limit groups to 3-somes so only six discs are in play.

I play solo rounds like this frequently (I like the added challenge of packing your bag and choosing shots), but man is it annoying when you are playing in a 3-some or 4-some.

So each card plays two drives off the tee, and finishes out from each tee shot? Unconventional to say the least, and potentially a bit more confusing, especially if time searching for lost discs could be an issue.

But in and of itself, I don't necessarily see anything that should cause it to be against the rules or unsanctionable.

Not sure I'd like the idea as a player, but maybe I'm too old fashioned.

The club I'm part of does this for its Putter Only rounds. The only issues I've ever seen are:
1. You need two sets of discs. Since you are making two sets of throws every hole, you usually want copies of the same disc. For example, if you park your first tee shot, wouldn't you want the same disc so you could make the same throw with the second tee shot? I usually carried six putters. Two backhand throwing putters, two forehand throwing putters, and two putting putters.

2. Keeping track of shots....since you are making two sets of throws on each hole, you have to keep track of which throw is which and what the score is for both sets of throws.

3. Slowness....this method can be quick, but is mostly slow. If both of your throws are similar, then it's easy to keep up the pace. But if they are far off, you have to throw one and then go to the next one and throw from there. Multiply that by 3 or 4 players and going back and forth from one disc to another can take a while. We played 'ready golf' to help speed things up.

Latest posts