• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"No Alcohol Allowed" Signs...Deterrent?

jhgonzo

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I was just wondering, for those of you who like to enjoy a few cold ones during your round, if seeing a sign on a course prohibiting alcohol really deters you from carrying that 6-pack or 40-ouncer with you. The course I helped design is located on a technical college campus, and thus one of these signs is prominently displayed by the course directory by Tee #1. I occasionally bring some beer with me when I play this course, knowing that campus security could enforce this law, yet I've never had any encounters with them other than a friendly wave as they make their rounds. It seems that the main purpose of these signs would be to discourage litter, specifically glass bottles, but I don't think I've ever seen players at an alcohol-free course being fully compliant with this (in fact, I find more fast-food wrappers and soda bottles than beer cans/bottles, the latter of which are typically disposed in the 5 trash cans on LTC Cleveland's campus!). Of course, the facilities maintenance crew on campus will surely see the immense number of these empty alcoholic containers when they empty the trash, but so far nothing has been said to me, no more-threatening signs have been posted by LTC (i.e. "Violators will be ticketed"), and I haven't heard of even one person having a scolding or citation from security or our local police. I still hide my illicit beverage when I see security passing by!

Are there any alcohol-free courses that you know of where this is STRICTLY enforced? I'd like to hear stories or thoughts on this topic!

Jason

At a local course (Wilcat DGC) there are signs at the first tee box that say no tobacco, alcohol, or drugs are allowed. I don't think I've ever seen that stop anyone, even myself. I do pay my respect and retain cigarette butts, and pick up a little more trash with me until the next trash can.

I think it might be a liability thing and an excuse kick people out if they deserve it but there is not other "legit" reason. I have never been hassled at an "alcohol free" DG course.

The one place I've ever seen someone hassled about that is on a course that is at a church, and I can understand it in that specific case.

When we used to camp in state parks there were many that prohibited alcohol. Walk around with a beer can and you could expect a ranger to stop you . Walk around with a plastic mug and no problem. IOW if you be cool with it I doubt that anyone will bother you. Personally I carry one of those monster plastic mugs from a local convenience store. It holds 3-4 beers.

I've heard the course in VA beach has some undercovers posing as disc golfers, writing people up for beer but that is hearsay I guess.

I've heard the course in VA beach has some undercovers posing as disc golfers, writing people up for beer but that is hearsay I guess.

Not hearsay, it did happen some time ago. There were some complaints by locals who use the park for other uses and the undercover angle was used to stop it.

Most of the courses here are on public property, ie... city park, and there are signs and the rule is enforced if caught. But they rarely check.

I have seen the busted beer bottles on tees and on one occasion made them go clean it up. It is not necessary. And yes I see the other litter too. But to say "well they leave trash too" still does not absolve you of your responsibility to clean up after yourself.

If you want to drink fine. But to drink and drive, as many of you do, I hope you can live with the result if you run over some kid who is playing around and not watching.

Sound mad. Yeah, I've seen what the results of drinking and driving are and had to live with it.

As a side note: doesn't this attitude of "I going to do what I want and to hell with everyone else" contribute to the bad rep this game has with some of the people who control the parks and the purse strings that can get more courses built.

!threadjack alert!

Well, I've been personally traumatized by a drunk driver but I remain steadfastly pro-alcohol. People are always going to drink. Unfortunately, the only way for drunks to get around in this country is via auto. If we had a more established public transpo system like in everywhere that doesn't rhyme with Suenited Plates of Graymerica it wouldn't be so bad. Oh well. I don't like picking up people's litter on the course but I do.

!threadjack alert!

Well, I've been personally traumatized by a drunk driver but I remain steadfastly pro-alcohol. People are always going to drink. Unfortunately, the only way for drunks to get around in this country is via auto. If we had a more established public transpo system like in everywhere that doesn't rhyme with Suenited Plates of Graymerica it wouldn't be so bad. Oh well. I don't like picking up people's litter on the course but I do.

Sorry Dave, Its been a hard day and I vented. But please be careful. I wouldn't want to read about you in the papers.

Sorry Dave, Its been a hard day and I vented. But please be careful. I wouldn't want to read about you in the papers.

I would.

*Headline*
BrotherDave fights gang midget clowns on unicorns and wins! Course security at an all time high.

"Well I saw em' coming at the drunks and somebody had to fight em', I did what anybody would do in that situation. I pulled out my DX Valk and started swinging. We lost more than midgets today, my Valk is in the lake(sad face)"

I would.

*Headline*
BrotherDave fights gang midget clowns on unicorns and wins! Course security at an all time high.

"Well I saw em' coming at the drunks and somebody had to fight em', I did what anybody would do in that situation. I pulled out my DX Valk and started swinging. We lost more than midgets today, my Valk is in the lake(sad face)"
ROFL!

Wait, who is on the unicorns? And I wouldn't go into battle with anything less than a Champ Valk.

No problem Disc Dog, I just take my drinking seriously, being Irish/German is all. I've always favored quality over quantity, which keeps my belligerence to a minimum since quality takes a bigger toll on my wallet.

Courses have definitely been pulled because of people drinking (and littering, which always follows) where it wasn't supposed to be happening. Disc golfing at a particular venue is a privilege, not a right, and we all ought to respect the rules set down by the owners of the land, whether it's about drinking, smoking, or off-leash dogs. If you don't like the rules, play at a different course. And if you really can't wait until after your round to have that next beer, you've got a problem.

Courses have definitely been pulled because of people drinking (and littering, which always follows) where it wasn't supposed to be happening. Disc golfing at a particular venue is a privilege, not a right, and we all ought to respect the rules set down by the owners of the land, whether it's about drinking, smoking, or off-leash dogs. If you don't like the rules, play at a different course. And if you really can't wait until after your round to have that next beer, you've got a problem.

I actually agree with you, I used to drink a lot when I first started playing but as I got serious into DG beer became too much of a hassle while playing. Every now and then it's nice to kick back some cold ones and goof off with some buds on the course. I don't need to drink to enjoy DG, just everything else.

Alcohol and littering are not cause and effect. My nearest course is always strewn with more Gatorade bottles than beer containers.

I find the same where I play. Hard to find a beer container on the ground but other garbage is always plentiful. I pack out what I pack in. Even my cig butts.

none around here in the st. louis area.
even the courses that specify that rule rarely enforce it.

It'd be interesting to see how many people would get busted at my local course if it was enforced with no drinking. Tendick in Saukville WI is typically a drinking course..but everyone keeps it relatively clean. Garbage can on each hole (Each full with Beer bottles/cans) keep it pretty clean. Even hole 8, dubbed the bowl hole, is kept clean of trash.

The main course i play in TN is in a city park where there is a no alcohol policy in effect. I've never seen anyone drinking on the course - or in the park for that matter.

Latest posts