• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"No Alcohol Allowed" Signs...Deterrent?

Alcohol and littering are not cause and effect. My nearest course is always strewn with more Gatorade bottles than beer containers.

I find the same where I play. Hard to find a beer container on the ground but other garbage is always plentiful. I pack out what I pack in. Even my cig butts.

Not the case at my home course. I'd say the trash on the course runs about 75% beer, 20% cigarette butts/pkgs, and 5% other trash. The 5% for other is probably a bit high too, most of the other trash seems to make it into the numerous trash cans and recycle bins located throughout the course.

This is an issue that could pose a problem and now that our public course has developed a larger gathering of locals we are making it a point to address this at all league events.

If someone raisies a stink and the authorities DO start writing people tickets, how many offenses until the they deem it a serious enough problem and pull the course out?? I realize this sounds kinda extreme but if "X" number of voices got the course installed, there IS a point in which the negative image will get enough NIMBY's to call on the powers that be to do something..........

i want to know what the Disc Golf NARCS looked like. Were they actually playing? Were they throwing ultimate discs? Did they suck? Wearing tiedye/as much hippy attire as possible to fit in? Did they have brand new huge quadshocks bags full of DX aviars?

Seems like too much trouble to bust a few people for minor infraction of drinking or smokin dope. Maybe they think the 'threat' they might be looming on the course is more effective.

My home course has signs that say No Alcohol, No Pets, No Golf. So I play and pick up beer cans, avoid dog poop and dogs, and dodge golf balls. "No rules for you, no rules for me, only for the man over under that tree". Substitute "taxes" during the State Legislative Session.

Local Parks and Rec dept here has a no-alcohol policy for all city parks. Since they have their own parks police dept, they have enforced it fairly aggressively in the past, including undercover checks on the course. Typically, however, they just pour it out if it's open, confiscate it if it's not. I don't know of any cases where they've actually arrested anyone.

Was talking with our parks liaison last night, and he admitted that it's not just a DG problem (though there's always plenty of empties both in and out of the trash cans around the course) -- he said he's always having to call folks on it at softball/soccer games, etc.

My home course is a city park so alcohol is supposed to be a no-no, but one look in the trash cans and woods and you can see that it is not heeded. It's not a problem for me either way, as beer is about the last thing I would want to drink as I am walking around in the hot sun, but to each their own. The only thing that bothers me is playing behind a group and watch them drink 5-6 beers over a round and then jump in their cars and drive off.

I've never seen any such signs yet.. And I'm not sure by law they can enforce the 'no alcohol' rule while at a public park. It will vary state to state I guess.

We have a ton of smokers here in Oregon. Everytime we go out to Champoeg we run into sum fellow burners and usualy take heed before each round. DG'n baked is alot easier than doin it tipsy. ommp ftw

1) I only drink on select courses. Lots of trees, not too many holes by a road, not in a county whose politicians are morally opposed to alcohol consumption or just like the revenue from busting people (I'm looking at you Cook and DuPage County, IL!!)

2) I'm at a stage in my actual and DG life where I don't have the time to drive out to my favorite courses as much as I would like (sniff.. sniff) and I still have a lot of room for improvement in my game.

So, I haven't been drinking as much lately on the course because my beer "friendly" courses are too far, and I don't want anything slowing my progress since my DG time has become precious (am I starting to sound too DG-sentimental?)

To answer the initial question though, the signs don't stop me from drinking, just the setting and my goals for the particular round.

Most places have the signs so that it is posted, only when there is a problem will it be enforced, at least that is what I have seen so far.

I'm not sure by law they can enforce the 'no alcohol' rule while at a public park. It will vary state to state I guess
I don't know a lot about the law, but I would guess that most places would have a public consumption law that would keep you from walking down the street drinking, drinking in parks, etc.

I would.

*Headline*
BrotherDave fights gang midget clowns on unicorns and wins! Course security at an all time high.

"Well I saw em' coming at the drunks and somebody had to fight em', I did what anybody would do in that situation. I pulled out my DX Valk and started swinging. We lost more than midgets today, my Valk is in the lake(sad face)"

I had Daves back till the part in bold. *shudder*

I know that we are putting up a similar sign. Our course is on our church property so I think that would be a little different. We didn't decide to do so until we had to start picking up beer cans and bottles all over the place. Some of the litter came from people fishing on the property, which we unfortunately had to clos off as well. I really haven't ran in to too many DGers that treat any course poorly. Most people like to make sure that courses is well kept, trash free, and free to play. These are things that can change if people trash the place. We have playground equipment, picknic area and a fishing pond that kids like to use so we figured it would be in our best interest as well as theirs.

I know that we are putting up a similar sign. Our course is on our church property so I think that would be a little different. We didn't decide to do so until we had to start picking up beer cans and bottles all over the place. Some of the litter came from people fishing on the property, which we unfortunately had to clos off as well. I really haven't ran in to too many DGers that treat any course poorly. Most people like to make sure that courses is well kept, trash free, and free to play. These are things that can change if people trash the place. We have playground equipment, picknic area and a fishing pond that kids like to use so we figured it would be in our best interest as well as theirs.

Where is this course out of curiosity? It sounds a lot like a church course I played in Lafayette IN.

Latest posts